Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nitrous on a log

turbo addict

nitrous on a log

hey guys, I picked up a 87 log yorker as a track toy, and want to put a nitrous kit on it. It is a NX wet kit, and I plan on jetting it to 75hp. My question, is where do I put the shark nozzle? is before the turbo okay? Or do I have to tap in after the turbo somewhere?

thanks

turbo addict

Re: nitrous on a log

I wouldnt do it before the turbo.

After the turbo somewhere.

turbo addict

Gonna blow it up

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

If Im not mistaken, the NOS kits recommended that the nozzle be installed on the intake manifold close to where the turbo-to-intake manifold hose clamped on.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Thats exactly where I would put it.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Gonna blow it up

turbo addict

Wow... So I would need to remove the intake to drill and tap it then. I still dont think it would atomize correctly either being in the plenium. Maybe I will have to skip the spray and run lots of boost then. Ohh well.

and If I blow it up... I have 5 or so good T1 LW rod motors laying around. It will live on

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    Wow... So I would need to remove the intake to drill and tap it then. I still dont think it would atomize correctly either being in the plenium. Maybe I will have to skip the spray and run lots of boost then. Ohh well.

and If I blow it up... I have 5 or so good T1 LW rod motors laying around. It will live on
    Nah i wouldnt say that. I would try taking off that hose, hooking up a shop vac to the intake manifold mouth while drilling and tapping the hole, and you should be fine.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

The aluminum shavings from drilling will mix well with specks of pistons on the plugs.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

For simplicity's sake, you can install the nozzle before the turbo, the only real issue you might have will be that it will run rich due to the fuel pressure going up with boost and the nozzle not being in the boosted air. But the distribution will be better than putting it in after the turbo, though only because of the log design, later TI set-ups should have the nozzle a little ahead of the throttle body and won't suffer the rich condition because the nozzle sees the boost.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    For simplicity's sake, you can install the nozzle before the turbo, the only real issue you might have will be that it will run rich due to the fuel pressure going up with boost and the nozzle not being in the boosted air. But the distribution will be better than putting it in after the turbo, though only because of the log design, later TI set-ups should have the nozzle a little ahead of the throttle body and won't suffer the rich condition because the nozzle sees the boost.

Mike
    The shock of the super cold nitrous and fuel spraying on the compressor wheel would not be good at all.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

Absolutely. Definately not put it before the turbo.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Well, in 13+ years of running tech for NOS, I've never had a problem injecting nitrous on the inlet side of the turbo. What's more, the longevity of the engine is not a high priority, he's just trying to have some fun, it's not any fun trying to install a nozzle on the outlet side of a log T1, additionally, the potential distribution problems that are likely in that style of install outweigh the possibility of damaging the compressor wheel. IMHO.

Mike

Hybrid booster

I seem to recall an article many years ago in Hot Rod or Car Craft or something where they put a nitrous kit on Shelby Charger, and I'm pretty sure they mounted the nozzle in the throttle body.

turbo addict

I doubt it was Car Craft... been getting their mags for 13+ yrs... They hate FWD's..
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyL View Post
    I seem to recall an article many years ago in Hot Rod or Car Craft or something where they put a nitrous kit on Shelby Charger, and I'm pretty sure they mounted the nozzle in the throttle body.

It was Hot Rod. I have the article somewhere. I will find it this weekend.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyL View Post
    You're absolutely correct. The nozzle in that article was installed under the trottle body before the turbo.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

could I get some scans of that article maybe? superjeepster@hotmail.com

thanks for your help guys

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

id love to see it too. Vigo327@swbell.net

I will see if i can get one of the IT guys at work to scan it in for me. The article is relatively devoid of all installation proceedure information tho. You would probable be able to get kit instructions from Holley.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast