Thread: 3.0 6g72 block differences

3.0 6g72 block differences

Well i was told at turbododge.com that this was pointless to do- but i don't think it would be all that pointless.

Is there NO WAY that one can use the heads (dohc) from the 3000gt tt 6g72 on the 3.0 we have in the daytona/shadow/dusters with the 5 speed manual.

even if we strip own ENTIRE block down- pullys and everything and take it all from the 3000gt or stealth and put it all on OUR block.....?

that way we would not have to mount in and do an entire motor swap.

Hybrid booster

Re: 3.0 6g72 block differences

I understand that the blocks are physically different

the heads can be used but it will require some machining, like what they told you at td.com, it would be pointless

Garrett booster

The 24V DOHC heads to "physically" bolt up to the SOHC chrysler block. However, some of the oil/water passages aren't completely aligned, so minor trimming is required to get them to allow transfer from block to head. Another obstacle is that the accessory bracket doesn't bolt up properly with the DOHC heads installed. Plus, the timing belt is wider on the DOCH motor. This means that the SOCH timing belt tensioner and crank sprocket are too narrow for the proper belt.

On the fip side of the coin, if you were to swap a DOHC motor into a Chrysler, the way the oil pump/filter assembly is configured on the motor, the filter will be in the way of the passenger side axle. So, A filter relocation kit is definately in order.

With either setup, you will have to adapt a DIS PCM or a stand-alone fuel/ignition ECU to the car.

Wink

I just found out from a shop after fo 7 hours of calling in MN- they said the center bolts on the heads are about 6 millimeters off- so yup they don't bolt up albeit they said there was someone makeing VERY good heads for these motors- but they could remeber who.

He said it may be edelbrock or trick-flow heads flow even better then the 3000gt heads. so how well does the sohc version respond to turboes? is it not worth it at that level? and is that why the 2.5 and 2.2 turbo is more popular?

Garrett booster

Personally the 2.2 and 2.5s are more popular because turboing a 3.0 is alot of work...but highly worth it. A mildly boosted 3.0 properly outperforms any 2.2 or 2.5 with ease. the four cylinders come from the factory with electronics and stuff so in other words...easier.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by vega
    I just found out from a shop after fo 7 hours of calling in MN- they said the center bolts on the heads are about 6 millimeters off- so yup they don't bolt up albeit they said there was someone makeing VERY good heads for these motors- but they could remeber who.

He said it may be edelbrock or trick-flow heads flow even better then the 3000gt heads. so how well does the sohc version respond to turboes? is it not worth it at that level? and is that why the 2.5 and 2.2 turbo is more popular?
    I dont understand this post. The heads bolt up. THe headgaskets are interchangable.

There are no custom heads available.

The 3000gt heads are some of the best stock flowing heads in existence. They absolutely blow away any TD 16v head by 40+ cfm's stock