Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: How To :: Ostrich Emulator

turbo addict

Re: How To :: Ostrich Emulator

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Derek did make a D-Cal 2.0. He sent me a screenshot, but I never got to run it. It has multiple windows like that. Seemd pretty nice. Not sure why he never released it. Maybe we should ask him nicely again...
    Rob did you ever get any feed back on the de cal 2 maybe if we all ask pretty please

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

I haven't heard from Derek in a year at least...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

rob - could u post the screen shot or pm me with it? might give someone here some incentive!?!

Garrett booster

I just read thru this thread hoping to see something for those of us with logic modules and didn't see anything. Is this something that is in the works or is it not possible?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dan_j_b View Post
    I just read thru this thread hoping to see something for those of us with logic modules and didn't see anything. Is this something that is in the works or is it not possible?
    Yes, its supposed to work,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by dan_j_b View Post
    It works the same with the logic modules. Both the LM and SMEC use a 28pin EPROM so the Ostrich will emulate the same on either ECU. The only difference is you will be using a different codebase. But yeah as far as the operation of the Ostrich its the same

Garrett booster

Sweet! thanks

Garrett booster

Sorry to bump such an old thread. I have been trying to work my way through the MPTune and MPScan threads which are massive, as well as some of the other tuning threads. Before I drop $175 on an Ostrich 2, can someone please confirm if this software and these calibrations will work with the Ostrich 2?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Yes, the Ostrich 1 is NLA.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Great thread, Thread learned a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by CSXRT4 View Post
    I was writing these instructions for Turbovanman but after basically writing a book I figured I would just make a thread so everybody could benefit. I absolutely love the ostrich, the only reason im selling it is because I am now on megasquirt due to my swap. I would recommend buying one for anybody that is making their own cals

You will want this software http://tunerpro.markmansur.com/download/EmUtility.zip

This is basically the program that communicates with the ostrich, first plug the emulator in with the USB cable then unzip the "EmUtility.zip" file and run the "EmUtility.exe" program.

If you get an error message when trying to run the program, download this http://tunerpro.markmansur.com/downl...redist_x86.exe and install it also

You may also have to install this http://www.moates.net/zips/CDM_Setup.exe if you are having issues with EmUtility detecting your ostrich.

When EmUtility starts up wait a second and it should beep and show that the Ostrich has been detected. Now you will be able to choose an operation. You can read the contents of the emulator to a file, write a file to the emulator, verify(I never really used this), and monitor a file and update the emulator when changes are made (this one is awesome). Ill explain these individually

Read from emulator to file
    This is if you have a cal on the emulator and you want to read it to your computer. This is helpful if yo lost you .bin file on your computer but had already flashed it to the emulator. When you use this function look down where it says "Size 0x0000", change this to "0x8000", since the emulator can hold more data than what our cals are it needs to know how much data to read. I always used "0x8000" and never had a problem. I havnt used it in a while but I dont think you have to mess with the "file start address". Hit execute and it should ask you what to save the file as.

Write from file to emulator
    This is if you want to write a new cal to the emulator. Select this and then click the "..." box next to "Input/Output File". Now you can choose a .bin file to flash to the emulator. I don't believe you have to mess with the "Size" setting as it usually gets set automatically according to the file you choose. Then just hit execute and it will flash the .bin file to the emulator.

Monitor file for changes and upload
    This is the setting you will probably use most for tuning. This sets EmUtility up to watch a specified .bin file and if any changes are made to it (as with D-Cal or Chem) EmUtility will automatically re-flash the cal to the emulator with the new changes. This lets you keep EmUtility running in the background. All you have to do is make an adjustment with D-Cal or Chem and when you save the file, EmUtility will detect the change and upload the new cal to the emulator. You can make changes while the car is running and when you hit save they will immediately take effect. Set this up the same as writing a file to the emulator, choose a file with the "..." box and hit execute. To stop monitoring you can click "cancel op" or just close EmUtility.

Hooking the Ostrich up to the SMEC/SBEC
    To hook the Ostrich up you will want to find a place to put the ostrich (close to the computer case). I put it to the rear of my SMEC against the body of my engine bay. You will have a 28pin ribbon cable, one of the wires will have a red tracer that indicates pin-1. Put the end of the ribbon cable into the socket as you would with an EPROM. Installed correctly, the ribbon should extend towards the 60-pin connector on the SMEC. I filed off the ridge at the edge of my SMEC case to allow the ribbon cable to exit between the two halves of the SMEC case. Then just plug the other end into the ostrich. Now you need to connect the USB cable to the ostrich and run it up towards the firewall, you will need to buy a USB cable extender which is basically a USB cable with a female end and a male end. Connect the extender and run that into the passenger compartment. Now you can just hook the USB cable into your laptop and pretty much tune as you drive.

This pretty much turns an SMEC/SBEC into a full standalone engine management system. With the availability of the relocatable codes you can pretty much reprogram any aspect of the computer, I started to get comfortable with it and actually added a couple extra little functions that were pretty handy. That combined with the functions already available thanks to people like Shel-Game and Geoff Allen (staging, detonation light, anti-lag) made this setup pretty versatile.

A big thank you to Shel-Game and Geoff Allen for digging through these calibrations so much and making all this possible. I know there are other guys that contributed especially back in the day but these two guys have been making most of the contributions since I have been into this stuff

If anybody has any more questions LMK
    Warren - I'm copying this over to the new Turbonator wiki, if you don't mind. We're trying to put all the tuning how-to's in one place...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Fwiw, you do not need the emutility anymore. Mptune will automatically detect the ostrich and read and flash the chip. In addition, you can do real time updates directly to the ostrich from the program. Don't see where this info is needed in the wiki.... Just saying...
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    Fwiw, you do not need the emutility anymore. Mptune will automatically detect the ostrich and read and flash the chip. In addition, you can do real time updates directly to the ostrich from the program. Don't see where this info is needed in the wiki.... Just saying...
    OK. I'll edit it...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678