Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who runs SCCA?

turbo addict

Who runs SCCA?

Im wondering if anyone on here runs SCCA with thier TD. I may be getting rid of my dakota, since Im bored of drag racing want to build a road race car. Im sick of trying to combine a daily driver with a race car...It never works out its the reason why my truck is where it sits.

My plan would be to run a Omni, Horizon, or rampage. Most likely a TII power plant. All components not related to racing will obviously be stripped to lighten the car. I have not look to far into the rules and classes, so that something we can discuss if you are actually running.

What the lightest that you guys have seen a l-body weigh in at?

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Re: Who runs SCCA?

The original owner of my Omni used to. He used to run it full stock, full weight. Used to run hoosier tires on it. He told me he used to piss off the porsche guys with it. But that is all I know.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster

Are you talking scca autocross or road race? With either you will need to look at the class you want to run in and study the rules. Some classes will not let you make the changes to make a td competitive.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmonty View Post
    Are you talking scca autocross or road race? With either you will need to look at the class you want to run in and study the rules. Some classes will not let you make the changes to make a td competitive.
    I would do Solo to start. D street prepared class.

turbo addict

If interested, here are the rules.

The majority of TD's fall in D-class.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    If interested, here are the rules.

The majority of TD's fall in D-class.
    Link is El-missingo. LOL.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

Whoops. And it took me 5 minutes to find it again. Im an idiot.

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/sp.html

Hybrid booster

You would have to be careful with the updated/backdated part of the rule depending on what car you chose to use. The "The updated/backdated part or the part to which it is to be attached may not be altered, modified, machined or otherwise changed to facilitate the updating/backdating allowance." and " No unauthorized modifications are permitted in order to accommodate authorized modifications (i.e., non-stock hood scoops or holes necessary for carburetor clearance). " could cause a problem with some motor/car combos. Have you ever thought about the street touring X (STX)? It's a little more lax with mods http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rule...t_touring.html

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmonty View Post
    You would have to be careful with the updated/backdated part of the rule depending on what car you chose to use. The "The updated/backdated part or the part to which it is to be attached may not be altered, modified, machined or otherwise changed to facilitate the updating/backdating allowance." and " No unauthorized modifications are permitted in order to accommodate authorized modifications (i.e., non-stock hood scoops or holes necessary for carburetor clearance). " could cause a problem with some motor/car combos. Have you ever thought about the street touring X (STX)? It's a little more lax with mods http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rule...t_touring.html
    Maybe Im not understanding the rules. But a GLHS is allowed in D street. Any TD I get could be swapped with a TII which a GLHS uses and that would remain legal correct? Since the powertrain is used a car that falls within the class.

turbo addict

Edit

Hybrid booster

You could put a t3 in it since spirit turbo is in the same class. What you have to watch is the modified to fit part. IE the intercooler. You would need a glhs stock intercooler to fit in a omni. You could not modify a daytona one to fit, and Glhs intercoolers are not easy to find. A shadow might be the best for that class.

turbo addict

"Carburetors, fuel injection, intercoolers and intake manifolds are unrestricted"

The only restriction I see on intercooler is that it must be a air-air. If you see other wise feel free to correct me. Im just trying to figure out what would be the best for me.

Hybrid booster

So you SCCA racer guys know where a highly modified GLH can race? Not like a masserati swap or anything but I got a front mount, mini van brakes, roll cage (will have) and when I (finaly go) race a 568 w/quaife. From what I read I'd have to make it slow when I'd just like to race with the supped up M3's and Mustangs. Miata's are cool and all but....

If there's not an easy answer, I'm going down to the local SCCA meet (cones in the stadium prking lot) and ask the inspector.

RosIe

Hybrid booster

Oh, Sorry. Thanks everyone!
    Rosie

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    "Carburetors, fuel injection, intercoolers and intake manifolds are unrestricted"

The only restriction I see on intercooler is that it must be a air-air. If you see other wise feel free to correct me. Im just trying to figure out what would be the best for me.
    Oops sorry, that is correct. It's been years since I was in SCCA and most of my experence is with mustangs. Anyway, even at large region events I don't remember seeing any td so I really dont know what would be a competitive combo. If you are looking to win, go with what the most popular car is. If you want to have fun run what ever. I had a friend that ran his z24 in dsp for years. He was out powered by ALOT but still made every race. I would proably go with a Omni or a Shadow just for the size weight. Look at your region to see who is fast in that class and just build something to compete. It might only take suspension to win, heck sometimes I won just by showing up! Good luck and i would highly recomend going to a few races and picking the local guys brains.

Hybrid booster

i used to run c-street prepared back in the late 80s.
    it was a lot of fun even though i wasn't anywhere near competitive, i was running a '80 capri with a 6 up against v-8 cars.
    still it was a lot of fun

I think a sound bit of advice about auto-x would be that you shouldn't look at it as a race. Look at it as a way to improve. You never directly race anyone so you're only racing the clock.

I intend to enter my GTC next year and I don't know anything yet about what class it will fall under but I'm sure, given the suspension, I won't be competitive. My goal is to become a better driver.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    I think a sound bit of advice about auto-x would be that you shouldn't look at it as a race. Look at it as a way to improve. You never directly race anyone so you're only racing the clock.

I intend to enter my GTC next year and I don't know anything yet about what class it will fall under but I'm sure, given the suspension, I won't be competitive. My goal is to become a better driver.
    Well there are solo races, and then there are races with other people.

I would eventually like to get into those races. And It will be a "race" car in my opinion. I dont want to mix my fun cars, and my daily drivers any more.

Hybrid booster

That's why I have 3. 2 always are broken so I quit racing when Im down to one.

turbo addict

I have been a SCCA member since 1989.
    Look at the rules before you strip out the interior of your car,
    as that is not legal in most classes.
    I run my GLHS...

http://polybushings.com/pages/glhs.html

Johnny
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast