Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The 4 speed A604 install and BS thread!

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: The 4 speed A604 install and BS thread!

i might have a 90 tcm. i did have one in my 3L k car with a 604 but i swapped to 5-speed. I'll have to look around for the controller.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    i might have a 90 tcm. i did have one in my 3L k car with a 604 but i swapped to 5-speed. I'll have to look around for the controller.

Brian
    Think you could suck the cal out with D-Cal? Should work just like a 'regular' SBEC, from what I've read.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

i can try provided i can find the tcm. i just have to take a look.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Anybody know if after 2002 if the controls (solenoid pack/connectors) on the transmission itself changed? From what I've been told, in 2003 and up they integrated the TCM into the PCM/SBEC, what I'm curious about is if the newer trans could be used with the older controller? I don't know if the newer trans was beefed-up at all or if they are internally the same, but if they did beef them up, and they are compatible with the older controller I'll go that route ($$ permitting).

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

From what I've seen - the solenoid/valvebody/case are unique. 95 and earlier are all compatible with each other and 96 up are all compatible. But they are not compatible from the 95 to 96 style. Not sure what exactly changed, though.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Not sure what year they changed maybe early 2000's? but they put the solenoid pack inside the transmission, you had to drop the pan

Sounds like I'll have to go look at some of the newer ones as well as the older... Figures there would be some changes, rarely do they stay the same for such a long period of time. Thanks for the input guys!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

Have you taken apart the controller to see how easy it is to remove the chip??

I have a '90 tcm, may even have more than one (there were a few tsb's/recalls on them)

If the chip is easily accessible I have the ability to download it with a burner/reader. I will look around and see if we still have extra tcm's, I do not want to de gunk/socket etc a board on the good one I have if thats needed . sorry.

Also, the '90 we have (3.3) has a cable driven speedo as well as the speed sensor on the drive shaft.

would it be possible to do away with the controller, have switches in the shifter to turn on-off selenoids and make it a full manual?

Quote Originally Posted by mboyek View Post
    Have you taken apart the controller to see how easy it is to remove the chip??

I have a '90 tcm, may even have more than one (there were a few tsb's/recalls on them)

If the chip is easily accessible I have the ability to download it with a burner/reader. I will look around and see if we still have extra tcm's, I do not want to de gunk/socket etc a board on the good one I have if thats needed . sorry.

Also, the '90 we have (3.3) has a cable driven speedo as well as the speed sensor on the drive shaft.
    It's slightly more difficult than pulling the chip from an SBEC. It uses the same 87C257 EPROM, and it's sealed in the same epoxy. But, the TCM uses a metal case which makes it harder to pull the board out of. I drilled 2 holes in the backside of the case and blew the board out with compressed air (this is on the '95 TCM I have).

The nice thing is, the TCM is very similar to an SBEC. So, if you only want to read the program, you don't even have to pull the chip. If you have D-Cal and a serial line-level-converter, you can read the cal out thru the 60-way.

Once we get to where we can make customized cals for the TCM, then we'll need to pull the chip and swap it. Or, hopefully, we can just use the later computers (~92-96) that are flashable. There's more of them around anyway...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

The difference I have seen between 95 and 96 is the manual lever switch(s) up through 95 Chrysler used what look like 2 neutral safety/backup switches to tell the ETAX controller which gear you selected (the manual valve onle has 3 positions forward, neutral and reverse) in 96 it was changed to a single switch with a bigger plug. On the solenoids, a friend has a 2000 Chrysler Voyager, his solenoid pack is external, the only internal ones I have seen are on the 42LE model.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

Ok, just went back and read some of the inbetween posts. I may still have an early ETAX (89) I will see, if so I will be glad to contribute it. On reducing the torque on a turbo, you could always "pulse" the knock sensor circuit making the engine controls retard the timing. The ETAX needs TPS input for shift timing during normal driving, that is what it gets, and engine rpm during lockup (early modulated lockup) to determine clutch slip (engine and turbine speed must equal at lockup)

turbo addict

Ohiorob, there was a guy over on TD that did just what you were describing. He said it worked fine, but was a bit harsh. I forgot what his solution was for downshifting to 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiorob View Post
    would it be possible to do away with the controller, have switches in the shifter to turn on-off selenoids and make it a full manual?
    I tryed this but had some flaring problems. To get in 1st just turn on
    the L/R and 2/4 solinoid.. Remember 2/4 and UD are backwards, power to
    these noids turns off the pressure. L/R and OD are normal..

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ohiorob View Post
    This is kinda what I was thinking about doing, I was thinking it would end-up being a sequential set-up, but would have to have a way to modulate the line pressure so you didn't have full force shifts just cruising down the road. Say a TPS and/or Map input to control the line pressure. What I don't know is how they normally operate, do they use accumulators or just PWM the solenoids to reduce the shift force? I'd imagine the latter, also, while it seems logical with the planetary arrangement that they would just engage a new element each time they needed a different gear, but logic isn't always what prevails in a production car...

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Racerstev View Post
    I tryed this but had some flaring problems.
    Steve
    was some slight overlap needed between turning something off and something else on?

Brian

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Racerstev View Post
    I tryed this but had some flaring problems.
    What about the restrictions that you recently removed, do you think that would help the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    was some slight overlap needed between turning something off and something else on?

Brian
    1-2 was the worst, the 2nd gear pack takes forever to come on. 2-3 was pretty bad as well..

There are a bunch of restricters that slow everything down in this trans,
    removing them seems to do wonders for the way it shifts..

All stock shifts are done with PWM's to control the speed of the shift. The
    accumulaters and pressure are all done with hyd's.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

getting everything timed correctly is going to be a PITA. imo you'd be better off with an electronic controller to time everything than trying to run on/off switches and fix the timing with a bunch of calibrated restrictions. Keep in mind this is how most early 604s come back for warranty work on their first rebuilds.. people werent doing the quick learn procedure correctly and the shift timing was off enough that it ground everything up in short order with binding and flaring. Anyone who tries to figure it out the long way with switches is likely to have to go back into the trans a few times before they get the timing right.

i honestly think figuring out how to flash the tcm is going to be the ticket, since it seems like getting the tcm to work isn't too hard.

But it's all quite moot for 2.2/2.5 guys until someone makes an available case bolt up and work. Ill still be watching for my own numerous 604 cars tho hehe.

neon case will work. it has one bolt off just like when you bolt up a 2.4L to a 568/555 etc.

Brian

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast