Thread: Electrical Issues-Pegged Volt Meter

Hybrid booster

Electrical Issues-Pegged Volt Meter

Was cruising down the highway when my voltage meter (stock) starts climbing and next thing I know is like pegged...then the power limited light pops on...I unplug my amp and couple other little things by this time its already gone back down...I go the extra ~3 miles to my house and now my car won't idle worth a crap...vacuum is low while the car kind of puters anyone ever hear of this?

Thank, Chris

turbo addict

Re: Electrical Issues-Pegged Volt Meter

Quote Originally Posted by 85daytona View Post
    Was cruising down the highway when my voltage meter (stock) starts climbing and next thing I know is like pegged...then the power limited light pops on...I unplug my amp and couple other little things by this time its already gone back down...I go the extra ~3 miles to my house and now my car won't idle worth a crap...vacuum is low while the car kind of puters anyone ever hear of this?

Thank, Chris
    Check the wires going to the alternator. My car was doing the exact same thing. One of the eye terminals that bolt to the regulator on the alternator came out of the wire.

Hybrid booster

Ok well I checked all them and they appear fine and solid unless inside the plastic harness thing they are messed up which seems unlikely. I reset the computer and now its idling fine again for now..haven't drove it yet though. Could the internal regulator on the alternator cause something like this to happen?

Hybrid booster

Check for WATER in the connectors on top of your ECU (the one inside, behind the PS kickpanel). Had a leak in my wife's GLHS Charger that caused this--water seeping in around a screw just above the ECU.