Thread: Adding 2 stage REV limiter to SBEC

Adding 2 stage REV limiter to SBEC

Whats the code needed to add the 2 stage limiter to the SBEC 2.5TI?

I was looking over Phosphate 2.0, but I don't entirely trust it. When I compare 2.5 TI complied Phosphate bin to the modified Rob's cal, the fuel and timing curves are very different.

Since rob's cal has been working great for me, I'd rather make changes to my current cal.

later
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Hybrid booster

Re: Adding 2 stage REV limiter to SBEC

Which cal are you using? The fuel curves may not line up correctly even if they are the same if the .tbl or .calx files have different min and max values. Regardless I curious since when I did a direct hex compare to his 90MP_MTX_SwBst_CE cal with the stage limiter off, 2bar, 2.5; they have no differences.
    Last edited by quantum; 10-21-2008 at 10:59 AM.
    No fun cars any more :(

I'm made my comparsion with 90MP_MTX_3-Bar_Sw-Bst_+40. Only changes I made so far were to turn the fans on sooner for my 180 thermostat, overboost protection and turn off the a/c switch.

I haven't to download my current cal from the car. I'm running an older version of the above cal. Once I do that, I can bring my adjustments to idle. I lost the file on my computer for whats being used to run the car now.
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by inmyshadow View Post
    I'm made my comparsion with 90MP_MTX_3-Bar_Sw-Bst_+40. Only changes I made so far were to turn the fans on sooner for my 180 thermostat, overboost protection and turn off the a/c switch.

I haven't to download my current cal from the car. I'm running an older version of the above cal. Once I do that, I can bring my adjustments to idle. I lost the file on my computer for whats being used to run the car now.
    I downloaded that cal, then compaired it with the phosphate code, 2.5, 3bar, mtx, staging mod on and there are some slight differences, but not huge ones. Did you rescale the injectors in Chem2 to +40's?

Regardless I can more than understand being nervious about the cal, I am when I try a new one as well.

I stated the only changes I've made.

this is way I asked for the staged rev limiter code. I don't want to spend more time testing another cal. Plus my wideband's O2 sensor is screwed up. Using it to datalog is untrustworthy. Right now, I only have EGT, drb scanner and nobody around to drive.

later

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    Regardless I can more than understand being nervious about the cal, I am when I try a new one as well.

Hybrid booster

I stated the only changes I've made.

this is way I asked for the staged rev limiter code. I don't want to spend more time testing another cal. Plus my wideband's O2 sensor is screwed up. Using it to datalog is untrustworthy. Right now, I only have EGT, drb scanner and nobody around to drive.

later
    Well adding a stage limiter requires disassembling the code, editing in the staging code, reassembling and compairing to the original, and some editing of the .tbl or .calx files to add in the staging mod. Rob probably already has a disassembled version of that cal so it would be easy for him. If you want to post the cal I can do it when I have a bit of time.

There is a thrid way to do it but it is much more risky. Compile phosphate with the options you want (2.5, staging mod on, 3bar, etc) , then rename the mpphos3.bin to a something like mpphos3-stage.bin, turn off the staging mod only in the phosphate.asm and recompile again, then use a hex editor to compare the two mpphos files and copy the code difference from the staging mod version into the exact same places in your cal (since they are based on the same cal all should be good), compare you cal (with staging mod editied in) to a backup copy to make sure that those are the only differences, burn, start the car and try to see if it works. You should be able to use the memory addresses for the staging mod limits from the mpphos3.tbl to make adjustments.

My head hurts.....

There is a thrid way to do it but it is much more risky. Compile phosphate with the options you want (2.5, staging mod on, 3bar, etc) , then rename the mpphos3.bin to a something like mpphos3-stage.bin, turn off the staging mod only in the phosphate.asm and recompile again, then use a hex editor to compare the two mpphos files and copy the code difference from the staging mod version into the exact same places in your cal (since they are based on the same cal all should be good), compare you cal (with staging mod editied in) to a backup copy to make sure that those are the only differences, burn, start the car and try to see if it works. You should be able to use the memory addresses for the staging mod limits from the mpphos3.tbl to make adjustments.

I'm bring my thread back from hell.

As stated I was trying to add the launch control to my SBEC. The past few weeks I've been playing around with my cal again.

The history lesson. I used the latest Rob SBEC cal last week. At the track last night I lost 4ths and 4mph over a previous best with a smaller turbo and 2.5 exhaust. I had compared my older rob cal vs the newer rob cal and noticed the timing was alot softer. The three runs I got last night barely gave me time to relearn how to drag race.

Today I revisited the phosphate cal software. Oh boy, my car barely ran. The cal was so damn rich. It would stall at lights, not rev past 4000RPMs, idled at 10HG in. and so on. I use a jumper wire on the A/C for a manual fan switch. With that on, the car would slow build RPMs, rather then jump up and slowly fall back to 900.

So I decided to merge Rob's cal with the Phosphate cal. I transfered most of my old data points over. I added two data points to AdvancefromMapCold in the phosphate code. Rob's cal has six, Phosphate has three. The phosphate code only had space to add two data points. I was able to move the line around that it nearly match the older cal.

I lowered the launch control RPM just encase it was limiting the 4000RPM limit while driving.

One thing I haven't done was adjust the slope of FuelStartFromCoolantTemp. The phosphate code has it as a straight line across the top of the chart. Rob's cal is below the middle of the chart with 8 data points. I looked at the code of phosphate, but I don't have the space to add any data points.

Next is FuelStartReductionFromBaro. Both cals have the same amount of data. In rob's cal the slope is angled up after the last point. In phosphate, it is a straight line.

With FuelWOTScaleEnrichBFromRpm, it is way different between the two. I'm thinking with phosphate, the VNT part is left out of the code. This is reflected in the comparison.

I'm wondering of the two first issues will cause me problems later on. If so, what is the best way to adjust the slope through the code?

Other changes I made was to activate overboost protection. I lower the temps for when the fan turns on to take advantage of the 180thermostat. Then I raised the fan on/off under 36mph to 40mph.

Now the car is drivable, for the most part. The problems? The car is breaking up at part throttle after a WOT run. It only lasts a few seconds. The car won't break up at high boost part throttle runs. The idle is a bit high coming to stops. I hoping the idle issue is the computer adjusting.

I'd like some possible ideas on fixing the main problem of the breaking up. This will tell if this a problem the computer can make up for. So, I'll drive on this cal for a few days.

I will say thanks for the check engine knock sensor and the launch control. I'm really enjoying those features.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

It may just be the computer learning as you pointed out. Post back up once it gets the idle steady and that should tell the tale.

Hybrid booster

For the Phosphate code; did you adjust the fuel through Chem2 for your injectors?

No. I used Dcal.

For the Phosphate code; did you adjust the fuel through Chem2 for your injectors?

Hybrid booster

No. I used Dcal.
    The code creates the bin files with stock injector sizes so I included .calx files for injector scaling in ZCheM. With out using chem you would have to change each fuel table by hand:

IdleErrorPWFromRPM
    KeyOnPrimeInjPW
    FuelBaselineFromMap
    FuelPartThrottle
    FuelFullThrottle
    FuelBatteryOffset
    IdleErrorFuelPWModifierFromBaro
    AccPumpScaleDeltaTPSFromCoolantTemp
    ManiDryScaleDeltaMAPFromCoolant
    InjPWModFromIdleSpeedErr
    InjPWModFromIdleSpeedErr2
    InjPWModFromIdleSpeedErr3

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

^ just to add, D-Cal does NOT properly scale the slope after the last data point (2nd to last as displayed by D-Cal) in the 16-bit fuel tables. It will be lean above that data point if you don't correct it by hand. I made a spreadsheet to correctly calculate the last slope...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

I made all the changes by hand when I was comparing the two cals. Only changes I didn't make were listed in my above thread.

I haven't runn into many problems. When its cold out, the car runs rough for a few minutes after a cold start. The cutout at part throttle after coming off WOT is gone. The check engine light flickers as I reach redline at WOT. I also noticed the light flash after certain bumps in the road. I need to check my ignition timing since I bumped it up at the track. I haven't reset it since I did my cal.

I also have to learn to use the launch control. I thought you had to be at WOT at idle to for it to work. I launched the car with tons of wheel hope. I even left my rear bumper at the stop sign. I later discovered you don't need to be at WOT for the rpm limit. Now I'm bogging off the line as I look for the sweet spot between traction and wheel hop.

Rob, I get an idea you want me to ask about a correctly calculated spreadsheet?

later

I made all the changes by hand when I was comparing the two cals. Only changes I didn't make were listed in my above thread.

I haven't runn into many problems. When its cold out, the car runs rough for a few minutes after a cold start. The cutout at part throttle after coming off WOT is gone. The check engine light flickers as I reach redline at WOT. I also noticed the light flash after certain bumps in the road. I need to check my ignition timing since I bumped it up at the track. I haven't reset it since I did my cal.

I also have to learn to use the launch control. I thought you had to be at WOT at idle to for it to work. I launched the car with tons of wheel hope. I even left my rear bumper at the stop sign. I later discovered you don't need to be at WOT for the rpm limit. Now I'm bogging off the line as I look for the sweet spot between traction and wheel hop.

Rob, I get an idea you want me to ask about a correctly calculated spreadsheet?

later
    Actually, I was afraid you would. Then I might have to post it and explain how to use it. It's not very user-friendly. Just a quick tool I made so I could properly scale the fuel tables. I really wish someone would build a 'new' cal editor that would combine the best of D-cal and CHeM, and then some...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

wait a min rob, i thought the automatic scaling in the SMEC assemby setup, and the scaling by chem2 didnt scale the next to last point correctly?

it was my understanding that if you grabbed the last point in d-cal and moved it and then saved it, that it was then scaled properly?

i need to get that straight before i misinform anyone.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    wait a min rob, i thought the automatic scaling in the SMEC assemby setup, and the scaling by chem2 didnt scale the next to last point correctly?

it was my understanding that if you grabbed the last point in d-cal and moved it and then saved it, that it was then scaled properly?

i need to get that straight before i misinform anyone.

brian
    Yeah, sorry. If you drag the last point, it calculates the slope correctly. The last point is not real. It's only there for display and calculation of the slope.

But, if you use the 'scale' function in D-Cal (to scale it 20% or so for injectors), it does not scale the last slope correctly. Actually, it doesn't scale the last slope at all.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

ok cool. i thought we talked about that. i told some dudes to move the last point to recalc the slope and i didnt want to be mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.