Thread: Still having idle problems

Hybrid booster

Still having idle problems

I have rebuilt the engine on my 86 shelby charger changed over to a two piece intake(pretty much stock glhs setup, with a GLHS stage II LM, stock injectors)Only thing I have added on is a turbo XS BOV.

The problem: I can't get the car to idle properly. I have 3 washers in my bov. I read on mini-mopar on how to adjust your idle. I close the ais motor with the tool, set idle with the idle screw to 600ish rpm. Turn engine off and plug ais back in. After doing that when the car is warm it idles right around 900 rpm or so. The idle also stopped waving up and down, and it ran great.

But soon as it cools down it and I try to start it again it won't idle, and will die unless it give it some gas. Same with driving in traffic when its cold it keeps stalling out.

So this morning I turned up the idle adjust ment screw to make it idle when cold. But now as soon as it warms up rpm's go to 2000. I turned it down today in the parking lot, and now the idle is around 1200 when coming to a stop. But still needs gas when cold.

It has a new AIS, new TPS, and new speedsensor. Also no codes......

turbo addict

Re: Still having idle problems

What's your idle vacuum (when it's running)? I've been chasing one vacuum leak after another. I've simply got a random miss, but tracking down the final leaks is proving difficult. I could see a vacuum leak causing issues.

I've heard mention that you can use propane to try to find a vacuum leak. If I put vacuum right into the air inlet the car goes rich. But I wouldn't know it if it weren't for the OTC 4000 reading the LM. I guess if the leak is bad enough you can tell with propane.

boostaholic

Re: Still having idle problems

Also make sure your Exhaust donut is the right size and the spring bolts are tight on your swingvalve..i had the same problem and it ended up being the exhaust donut sealing and unsealing, replaced it and it took care of it.