Thread: L-Body Intercooling Options

Garrett booster

L-Body Intercooling Options

I'm going back and forth between running an NPR or a Spearco intercooler with the same side inlet/outlets (pictured). This intercooler will be going in an Omni. I really don't want to worry about alternator clearance. However, if it's a big deal, I'll change it. I want something sort of easy.

Pics would be great too.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: L-Body Intercooling Options

As long as you have enough room to plumb to and from the intercooler on the driver's side of the radiator, those intercoolers have proven to be pretty good units.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

In my Charger I made brackets to reposition the full size L-body radiator closer to the alternator in order to route the intercooler plumbing around the driver's side. I am using a knock off intercooler in the same style as that Spearco. I used the Chrysler style alternator from a Daytona; the Bosch style is an inch wider and would not clear. I was only able to fit 2.25" pipe without hitting anything or cutting any metal, but if you're not worried about that, then 2.5" will be a piece of cake.

My only concern is fitting that intercooler behind the grille on an Omni. You'll likely have to remove a portion of the upright brace in your radiator support, and you'll probably need some very tight radius bends for the piping around the radiator and into the engine bay.

boostaholic

I have the Spearco in my Omni.
    I used a Daytona radiator from a rad/IC setup which moved the radiator over enough to run the pipes on the drivers side.
    I did have to use a lawnmower battery turned sideways to clear the pipes.
    I didnt cut any metal to get it to work.You can see how I ran the pipes
    if you look at the pic in my gallery.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I have seen pics of both setups that work well. I have the spearco in my omni and it works. Pics are on my website.

Garrett booster

cordes-

I've looked your site over a bunch of times. My main concern is finding a cheap Nipendenso. I'm limited to what kind of fab work I can do...therefore I'm trying to stick with the stock Bosch (?) alternator or go with something that doesn't need fitment mods.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

If you use a tighter bend for the IC pipes you wouldn't have to do what I did. I would think that the 90* silicone couplers that are out there would make for a super easy install regardless of alternator choice.

If you do decide to get a Nippo you could get one from about any JY, as they came on all the later K based cars.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

i relocated my radiator over enuff using a STOCK daytona radiator bracket on the driver side, then I sawed the bracket that would have held the upper part of a stock cooler, and used just the bushing part, and one of the holes in the bracket, with the hole on the bottom of my TII radiator and everything fit like it was designed too...no drilling any holes, just screw n nut!

mine is about the same distance as supercrackerbox's from the ALT however im running a nippo. I have the medium sized NPR as well, i chose to have all the piping on the same side of the car to keep things clean so I opted to use the spearco!

My buddy has a HUGE NPR in his Omni. If I get to his house sometime I will get some pics, although it's not a same side IC.

I have one in my Charger, but you don't have the room I do up front.

http://minigts.com/car/charger/engine/intercooler/

Some pics there of mine, but I don't have any good ones. I just noticed this....
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

I've thought about going the NPR route, just looks so pretty, and if the radiator will fit between the end tanks it's so easy. Would love to see some pics though mini.

The Spearco's just flow so damn good though.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by anokabball24 View Post
    The Spearco's just flow so damn good though.
    on that note id like to add that some people have complained that the spearco flows so well that it doesnt actually have time 2 cool the air.

well when I come back from a nice hard run, my upper IC pipe is cool to touch, while the lower pipe is nice n toasty. the spearco flows AND cools air