Thread: Stratus shifter swap

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Stratus shifter swap

saw a 5 speed 98 Stratus at the yard, shifter looked different. being angled towards the driver and a slightly shorter throw than the stock 523 P-body shifter. so I grabbed it

installed pictures

1st

Reverse

Neutral

the rod with the shifter bushing is the original. the stratus one is the other one, slight bend towards driver

side shot, stratus one is slightly shorter and no backwards bend at all

not really a true short throw but a nice, easy and cheap upgrade I think. taking the car out for a quick spin around the block. it was nice compared to the original shifter.

I'm wondering though. is the shifter I got today the regular production shifter all 5 speed clouds cars got ? or was it an option above and beyond the regular 523/568 style used in the first gen neons ?
    Last edited by 135sohc; 10-15-2008 at 02:09 PM.

Re: Stratus shifter swap

There is even a angle difference between Shadow, Daytona and Neons shifter rods. I have all three here.

You can run the part number to see if the number is for a stratus. The cloud cars use the same 5spd transmission as ACR neons. ACR neons have a lower 5th gear that helps the cloud cars.

I haven't measured the spare set of neon shift cables, but I bet this cables could be use in our cars. They attach to the tranny and brackets the same way as our cars.
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

the base id probably sifferent than a neon but the shifter itself should be the same. Same as srt4 as well. New srt4 shifters are about $60 or so

Quote Originally Posted by inmyshadow View Post
    There is even a angle difference between Shadow, Daytona and Neons shifter rods. I have all three here.

You can run the part number to see if the number is for a stratus. The cloud cars use the same 5spd transmission as ACR neons. ACR neons have a lower 5th gear that helps the cloud cars.

I haven't measured the spare set of neon shift cables, but I bet this cables could be use in our cars. They attach to the tranny and brackets the same way as our cars.
    funny you should say that, cause I was just told that elsewhere.

I've got a shifter from a 95 neon. base model and it looks identical to the shadow one. maybe a slight angle towards the driver but it could just be the side spring is different. they look the same though

and Neon cables wont work. there shorter and the end length is different. cause I heard that rumor and got a set for comparison.

top cable (thats broken) is the shadow one in all pictures

The only difference I see is length of the overall cable. The overall length of the cable has nothing to do with whether it will attach to the trans and brackets.
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

it will attach but the neon cable is quite a bit shorter.

I dont see how it matters that it will attach. Due to the fact that the original cables dont have much slack in them, and trying to use a shorter Neon cable will only increase the angles and tension on it. leading to premature failure.

Well, I figured I'd look up the neon's cable length.

Unlike my 1992 Chrysler parts book, my 1995 book for neons doesn't list the cable length. The 1995 parts book doesn't have separate part numbers for each cable. Only one part number for two cables. Probably because of the rubber grommet that holds both cables together. It would be tough to push one cable through that grommet.

But in the 92 book, Chrysler only had three different length cables.

A and P bodies
    Crossover cable 45.37in
    Selector cable 52 in
    Spirit R/T lists a different selector cable, no length given

G and J Bodies
    crossover cable 48.52in
    selector cable 55in

Caravan
    crossover cable 46.92in
    selector cable 51.25

In the 1994 parts book, it appears Chrysler used a single cable set cross all sedans/caravans. They all had the same part numbers. Cross referenced the 1994 part numbers in the 1992 book. The 1994 part number is the same as the 1992 A and Pbody cables.

So, neon's cables might be a better choice for those converting lbodies to newer transmissions. Or mix and match cables for cleaner fit. Or could be used in a bind for a turbododge car.

Just because a cable is longer or shorter doesn't always mean bad. I just installed a 94 TBI throttle body cable into my 91. The 91 cable was a few inches longer. But the 94 cable is better because it looks cleaner and is out of my way.

Same goes with neons. There are two different length throttle cables for them. But both will work on the car. I don't see why owners of later neons don't switch to the shorter cable to clean up the engine bay.

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    it will attach but the neon cable is quite a bit shorter.

I dont see how it matters that it will attach. Due to the fact that the original cables dont have much slack in them, and trying to use a shorter Neon cable will only increase the angles and tension on it. leading to premature failure.

I took these pictures awhile back and forgot I had them on photobucket. Heres a comparison of a broken original to the car (94 P-body) selector shifter cable on top and the selector cable from a 95 Neon on the bottom.