Thread: Fuel Pump install...

turbo addict

Fuel Pump install...

Hey guys is there any easy way to install a new pump on the turbo vans? Perhaps a access panel through the floorboard in the rear, rather than dropping the tank. Figured i would ask before i tore up my carpet for nothing lol. Some times dropping the tank on an old vehicle turns into a nightmare i dont wanna deal with a strap busting studs snapping etc lol. No underbody rust but still some rusty nuts/bolts however.

Hybrid booster

Re: Fuel Pump install...

I am sure you can change it from below without droping the tank. I did it on my daytona so I'm sure it would be easy on a van.

Hybrid booster

I'm in rust free land and I the studs STILL boogered up on me on the way out. Spray it good with your favorite anti rust stuff if you have to drop it. I haven't done it on a van but on a bunch of other cars (L BODIES ARE EASY!!!) ahem... but On my lancer I just had to drop it a little bit, never took the nuts all the way off so I could pull the assy' out.

To add to what rosie said, if the studs are really bad, it might not hurt to hit them with a wire brush before spraying the penetrating oil. Also, if the nut starts to get hard to turn as you're loosening, switch directions on your ratchet and tighten it up a couple turns then work back and forth loosening a little at a time. It makes for a long process, but I've seen plenty of them come apart like that when I thought for sure the stud was going to snap off.

turbo addict

Yea thats not a prob, i know of all those steps in getting the nuts off the studs, but i was actually just askin if there was an easy way ahead of time instead of dropping the tank, so i knew. However i didnt even look it over so i didnt realize the pump could be done the way the one guy said he did in his tona, i will look at that and see. Thanks again guys.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by tsiconquest88 View Post
    Yea thats not a prob, i know of all those steps in getting the nuts off the studs, but i was actually just askin if there was an easy way ahead of time instead of dropping the tank, so i knew. However i didnt even look it over so i didnt realize the pump could be done the way the one guy said he did in his tona, i will look at that and see. Thanks again guys.
    Heh Heh, So do I.... And I still forgot to do it!!! Oh well, that's why God invented tap and dye sets !

turbo addict

no i meant try to do it like jamesmonty said he did on his tona. If i can i definately will as that would be much easier and not have to even mess with the tank dropping. See as my daily driver i dont wanna run into something i have to end up leavin the van sit for if i dont have to (in any case not open a can of worms so to speak lol). Have my car also but my father in law is borrowing that so i rather not take that back if i dont gotta till he gets his license back and his car on the road lol..

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Sorry, you gotta drop the tank. I would presoak the straps and order a new filler neck grommet from Dodge just in case yours is rotten. You should replace the lines with hi pressure stuff and put a new fuel filter in.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Oh yea definately, when i do install this pump i def plan for all new stuff, i have a filter on order, the filler neck grommet i didnt look at that stuff there figured just had a rubber sleeve at the body where its bolted behind the filler door and then of course the hose that connects the neck to the tank. Is this grommet the hose ur speaking of for the neck to clamp to the tank? Or is it not connected via a hose like most cars to the tank?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Sorry, you gotta drop the tank. I would presoak the straps and order a new filler neck grommet from Dodge just in case yours is rotten. You should replace the lines with hi pressure stuff and put a new fuel filter in.
    There's plenty of room to cut an access panel out of the rear floor.

I made a 12x8" hole in the floor and the time it took to cut out has paid for itself the 3 times I've had to fix something with the pickup/wiring/sending unit. OP if you REALLY need a picture I can get one... but it's kind of a pain to get all the boxes of parts out of the back and pull up the carpet again as it just got put back in two days ago.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

That is an option but not for me, its not hard to drop the tank. I've only had to do it once in 5 years.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Yea i seen people do the access hole thing on many cars and i did it myself on one of my SQ's but sometimes its good to get the old out and new in, meaning u get the tank down and anything that wasnt going to last u will know and can replace rather than have something break from rust etc later on after doin the new pump already.

If you get it apart and end up needing a new o-ring for where the fuel pump carrier seals to the tank, the o-ring from a Fram PH5 oil filter is a perfect fit. I found that out when I had the tank out of the Sundance and needed one. None of the parts stores could get one, the dealer had to order it, and I needed to get the tank back in that day. It actually ended up costing less to buy a filter for it's o-ring than it would have been to order one from the dealer. The oil filter o-ring has been on there since July of '06 and hasn't leaked a bit.

Tony

turbo addict

Nice man, thanks for the info!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tsiconquest88 View Post
    Nice man, thanks for the info!!!
    You're welcome!

Honestly if you have problems dropping a tank on a Caravan then you shouldnt be working on cars at all. Just did one the other week. Had to use the breaker bar, the bolts were rusted solid. Got hung up on the drivers side with the filler. But it dropped enough and really was the easiest fuel pump I ever did.

turbo addict

Lol if u read the thread i didnt say i had a problem the thread was all about the EASIEST way man. Mainly i asked if there was an access panel below the carpet. Thats all man plain and simple. They said no so I am doing it the way needed. I havent even looked it over yet. I am sure it probably is easy, dont look hard anyway. But being this is my daily driver and would pretty much need this thing done by the time i get off work (4:00) and by night fall since i have to work on it outside that leaves me minimal time and no time for long problematic issues so the easiest way would have been great, no access panel that blows but oh well!! Dont need one yet anyway it was all a question just in case, so i knew ahead of time.