Thread: plugs

Mitsu booster

plugs

I have 2.5 t1 with volvo intercooler stock 89 5spd ecu
    2.5in exhaust cold air intake
    +40 afpr and rising rate regulator
    mits turbo and plan to pull every bit of hp out of it I can 17-20 psi
    what plugs should I be using (Prefer something cheap)
    also what should my timing be set at
    will be on 110 vp gas

By the way I really apreciat the help I have recieved on this forum
    some pretty good guys here
    thanks
    Last edited by adubaz7; 10-12-2008 at 12:06 AM.

Hybrid booster

Re: plugs

probably the champion RN9YC's or the NGK BR9ES, both should be under $2 ea, ive ran both in my 2.5 but seem to like the way the champions idle over the NGK's, the NGK's i have to gap to like .035 to idle somewhat smooth

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

BR9ES, RN9's or equivelant. I prefer the NGKs, helps with detonation control.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

ok sounds good for the plugs what about timing also how much is the most hp people are able to get out of the litle mitsu turbo

Unless your running race gas, ported head, huge IC, stick with 12. Of course, you can experiment but use a scanner to watch for knock, it won't take much to shatter the pistons.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

Anyone run the Champion "Truck" spark plugs?

Johnny
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

+1 for the RN9ycs and keeping the timing stock. The stock ECU stops pulling timing at 14.7PSI and it gets scary from there IMO. Even more concerning to me is the added timing and leaner fuel at part throttle in the stock cal. It works great stock, but start modding things and the timing can be to much for the stock pistons quickly.

How are you defeating overboost? Like cordes said, the stock ECU will stop pulling timing after a little over 14 PSI, so the timing would be too aggressive for pump gas at 20 PSI anyway. Since you are running 110, should be a good combo.
    As far as distributor timing, that depends....just try 12 at first, make a few passes at the track, bump it to 14-15 and see if there's any gain. If no gain, put it back to 12.

Oh and +1 for the champion rn9yc's, best bang for the buck. Gap them to .030'' for 20 PSI boost.

turbo addict

Ok, here's a biased, shameless "plug"-

"A Buick GN is always going to have a higher resale value than a TD in comparable conditions..."
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 88_pacifica View Post
    Ok, here's a biased, shameless "plug"-

"A Buick GN is always going to have a higher resale value than a TD in comparable conditions..."
    Why do we put up with you?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    Why do we put up with you?
    Cause I'm an azz and I make people laugh...
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

turbo addict

Ah, the shameless plug thing ... now that one took me a minute. A little whitlag today, not enough sleep.

I saw a white t-type the other day and gave the driver a big thumbs up. He even waved back.

As for the actual topic, I also run the BR9ES plugs and have had good luck so far. They are cheap but might be difficult to find compared to other plugs (i.e. can't get them at AutoZone -- might have to try a real parts store). FWD Performance recommends the Autolight 63. They are also inexpensive.

NGK owns all.

BR9ES is cold, BR7ES is about the same as a RN9 Champion.

turbo addict

Guys are these the same as bpr9es? that is the part number i know, is the br a different one or are u guys just leaving out the p? Just curious cus i use bpr8es in my sq's and i had them in the van and they dont do as well in colder starts since they are starting to get a little old now, they are new and i put them in the van over the spring. Seemed to last longer in the SQ too? Anyway yea if these are the plugs u guys are talking about, ANY snowmobile plave has them in stock all the time. They are for ATV's lol. thats why they arent available in auto parts stores. Im yet to find any auto stores that have them. Anyone need a set? i got tons lol. well 8es i do not 9es.

I didn't know you could get BPR9ES plugs, the P means extended tip so your defeating the purpose of using the recessed tip of the BR9's.

I recently tried some Autolite AR51's, very nice plugs, runs alot smoother BUT I found it was a bit more detonation prone.

turbo addict

AR51's are powering my 2.2 T2 2 bar cal to 18psi on 87 octane with no Detonation or knock via the scanner. Can't believe it but it's true. I just shut off the overboost in the cal and cranked the boost. Love them! They really help when it's time to go to the emmission's test as well with their better flame propagation from the cut back electrode. Car has never tested that clean and it's got bigger injectors and a 3" straight pipe exhaust. The more I mod it the cleaner it get's

turbo addict

I've got a set of 5 slightly used BR9ES plugs and a set of 4 barely used BR7ES plugs I'd be willing to sell for a couple of bucks plus shipping. I went with AR63s and they just seem to play better with my combo and I'd be willing to part with the other plugs so someone else can experiment.

turbo addict

well the reason for the p as u said would be cus your guys cylinder head to pistons must be close than the SQ so therefore the longer tips in the SQ help reach closer, our plugs are pretty far from the pistons.

Quote Originally Posted by tsiconquest88 View Post
    well the reason for the p as u said would be cus your guys cylinder head to pistons must be close than the SQ so therefore the longer tips in the SQ help reach closer, our plugs are pretty far from the pistons.
    True but we are using recessed tips to help with detonation control, it won't glow like a glow plug at the wrong time,

turbo addict

Oh i understand that also but the 8es is already coler than stock. for the SQ it goes like this, 8es 1 degree colder and 9es 2 degress colder. So your already colder as this same temp should carry to your guys 8es and 9es as well i would think? and it being recessed or longer prob isnt hindering much more if at all? just sayin thats all, not that i know for sure as you guys know ur TM stuff lol. not much u can do at that point that u need a recess or extended plug i guess haha. You gotta do what u gotta do.