Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just failed emissions

Hybrid booster

Just failed emissions

I just brought home a bone stock 84 Daytona turbo and it failed emissions, yippie. It passed everything except HC(hydrocarbons) at idle and it didn't fail by much. The little pamphlet they gave me said it's most likely fuel system related so what should I check/replace first? No codes BTW.

boostaholic

Re: Just failed emissions

Where are you located? I know Spokane, but City...rural? If your county requires you to run a cat, a new one will clean up 90% of an engines emissions problems (or so a wise man once told me). I know on my car my HC went from 211ppm to something like 30ppm. The big one on mine was NOx 2272ppm down to a couple hundred.
    Last edited by 87glhs232; 12-23-2005 at 04:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Yep stock cat is morre than likely Kaputtt... O2 sensor could clean it up as well..

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by GLHSKEN
    Yep stock cat is morre than likely Kaputtt... O2 sensor could clean it up as well..
    +1 on the O2...always a good choice.

Hybrid booster

Spokane Valley, we're our own city technically but nobody cares. We do have e-check though.

I looked under it when I was checking it out and what is sitting in the cat spot really doesn't look like a cat to me...more like a little resonator. I was trying not to fall down in the snow though so I didn't look too hard. I'm not going to have much of a chance to look at it until next week, dumb time of year to buy a car I guess.

The o2 sensor doesn't plug in the same as the one on my 85 either, it looks like it plugs in right at the sensor? The wire is stretched tight too. When I bought the one for my 85 it had a cord coming off of it so you could plug it in and have some slack.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Usually the ox fails you get a CO failure. What are your readings and whats the limit?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

HC Idle Limit 220, Read 402: FAIL
    HC Cruise Limit 160, Read 160: PASS
    CO Idle Limit 1.2, Read .83: PASS
    CO Cruise Limit 1.2, Read .74: PASS
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

what about CO, can you list all readings and specs please.

Any good running TD without a cat should be able to easily be under 200 HC's. HC's are caused by bad compression, bad tune-up items, timing cam or ignition being out, the the engine is just plain wore out.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

It just got dark but so far I replaced the o2 sensor and spark plugs(someone had put bosche platinums in there). They were all a little on the white side but looked pretty good. If I get a chance this weekend I'll check cam and ignition timing. If those check out I'll check the compression. The guy I bought it from said he checked it and it was fine, he had a turbo supra and a turbo civic and seemed like he knew what he was talking about. He hasn't driven it much, he bought it to play around with but never got around to it and is moving to Oregon now.

One thing I forgot to mention is that it always wants to die when you're coming to a stop. Sometimes it does, but usually it just stumbles and then catches. Other than that it starts/runs/drives really well.

Quote Originally Posted by dwh4784

One thing I forgot to mention is that it always wants to die when you're coming to a stop. Sometimes it does, but usually it just stumbles and then catches. Other than that it starts/runs/drives really well.
    Double check the carbon button is still in the cap or not worn away.

I bet the throttle body and motor is coked up, that would also cause it to fail at idle. You need to remove the AIS, get a toothbrush and carb cleaner, scrub the bore and throttle blade till there spotless. Clean off the AIS pintle, and disconnect the battery. It should be fine now, if not, knock out the little tin cap and open the blade a bit more.

Hybrid booster

Same here except on a 85 600 A-413 T1. I've cleaned my TB and AIS and TPS as best as I could ( removed the TB and AIS and cleaned with carb cleaner ). Everything was pretty much clean. Even though I did this I still have that stumble coming to a stop, mainly from a slower speed, like residential driving or parking lot speeds. I'm thinking it may be either the Speed Distance Sensor or my MAP.

Just thought I'd post on the stumble due to someone else going through it as well. Good Luck!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Rampage16V's Avatar

I would also check for vacuum leaks to the MAP sensor if it is just rich at idle.
    might help to use gas with 10% ethanol too.

Garrett booster

The stumbling at approach to a stop sounds like TPS to me. My car did that before, and a TPS solved it.

As for the HC, my own car failed the idle test as well. I retarded the timing 3 or 4 degrees and it cleaned it up

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Rampage16V's Avatar

As for the dieing coming to a stop . The speed sensor not working will do this. The computer is supposed to keep the revs up til you reach 3-5 mph or so. So if the sensor doesn't work the idle will just come down til it almost stalls and the ais motor has to try and keep up.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Yep, the speed sensor is a code 15. It will cause this. TPS is a different animal... I had a situation where even new speed sensors would throw the code after a short while. The tps rarely sets a code and is ofter the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage16V
    might help to use gas with 10% ethanol too.
    I seem to remember reading this somewhere else too.
    HC's are just fuel that hasn't been burned completely (overly rich mixture) right?
    If so, then adding a little bit of an oxygenated fuel should help lean it out a tad.
    Makes sense to me.

Garrett booster

HC Idle Limit 220, Read 402: FAIL
    HC Cruise Limit 160, Read 160: PASS
    CO Idle Limit 1.2, Read .83: PASS
    CO Cruise Limit 1.2, Read .74: PASS
    on your print out are there readings for

O/2 ? (oxygen)
    C/O2 ? (carbon dioxide)
    NOX ? (oxides of nitrogen)

if the analyser is 5 gas could you list all please,(HC, CO, CO2, O2, NOX)
    if the analyser is 4 gas no NOX reading will be present(HC,CO, CO2, O2)

that will help in diag greatly......thx mech1nxh

Hybrid booster

After the basic tuneup items and a little cleaning of the AIS it seems to be better, it still bogs a bit coming to a stop but hasn't wanted to die. Hopefully after work tomorrow I can check the timing and possibly Sea Foam it. I'm also going to get a better look under it and see if that's a cat or not.

Hybrid booster

Checked timing today, cam looks dead on but ignition was advanced quite a bit...out of the window actually. So I got that set to 12*. I also bought some Sea Foam and treated it with that, afterwards it was running really good and no stumbling. But I let it cool down and drove it again and it's back, still no codes. Also upon further inspection it does have a cat, it just looks newer than the rest of the exhaust system.
    So I guess Friday I'll go test it again.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor Lee'sdaytona's Avatar

hmm....do you think its possible that someone removed the cat, gutted it and put the shell back on for visual inspection? If this is the case, you probably would not pass with no cat at all! Maybe if it isn't welded and only has exhaust clamps on it, you could take it down and have a look. Just a thought
    -Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast