Thread: Windshield Replacement on T-Top G-Body

Windshield Replacement on T-Top G-Body

Hi Everyone,

I need the scoop on how to replace my windshield on my T-Top car. I have replacement A & B pillar outside trims... but don't have replacement seals for the t-tops and just know that they are going to rip. Plus, I don't have a trim for the piece above the glass. There has to be someone out there who has had to have theirs replaced without trashing the car!!

Thanks for any help or feedback.

boostaholic

Re: Windshield Replacement on T-Top G-Body

IF you took tour time, you *might* be able to get the old seals out without dammaging them. They are glued in with ALOT of glue. I would imagine you would have to carefully cut them out with a razor knife. Once you get the seals out remove all the glue/caulk that held them in, once removed you should be able to see the rivets that you have to drill out. I replaced the rivets in mine with screws so that the trim comes on and off easily.

Hybrid booster

just the front t-top trim has to come off DON'T remove the weatherstrips they don't contact the windshield in any way. once the trim is off the windshield is held in by urethane which will need to be cut. if you push a coat hanger through the urethane between the body and windshield then use a thin wire (old throttle cable inards work well) someone inside and someone outside saw it around the windshield.

Norm

Garrett booster

You will trash the T-top gaskets so dont do so unless you have them.

I have a huge file somewhere showing how to remove the trim on a Laser XE. It has a lot of pictures and show where the rivets are and how to take it apart but you will ruin the two gaskets no matter how careful you are. Buy a new set from Brent Duvall along with the two felts which go on the front and rear.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Turbozcs2003 View Post
    You will trash the T-top gaskets so dont do so unless you have them.

I have a huge file somewhere showing how to remove the trim on a Laser XE. It has a lot of pictures and show where the rivets are and how to take it apart but you will ruin the two gaskets no matter how careful you are. Buy a new set from Brent Duvall along with the two felts which go on the front and rear.
    I had the windshield replaced on my former 89 t-top Daytona many years ago. I was told at the time the t-top seals needed to be replaced with the windshield, and I don't disagree with that. Be careful on the re-install of the t-top seals along the A pillar, they can leak there if not properly installed, like behind the seal and down into the interior. Like the above poster said, Brent has the seals.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4