Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Auto Trans

Garrett booster

Turbo Auto Trans

hi all, i am working on making my tbi 92 daytona into a turbo daytona with a completely new engine from TU. (i will be using a 92 SBEC computer from a 92 iroc daytona which was a 5-speed) besides that, here is my question, MY car is currently an auto, and i want to keep it an auto, so which trans do i need for my car.( it will be running stock power ) sorry, i am new to all of TD stuff.

thanks!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Turbo Auto Trans

First off, welcome to the site.

The main potential problem that I can think of is the fact that all R/Ts and IROCs came with a 5 speed, and I don't if you will be able to control the lockup converter with the TIII ECU or not. Also, I believe that the TIIIs had a crank sensor which might be an issue also.

Have you thought about converting to 91' TI specs so that you can get a factory cal for a lock up converter auto? It is SBEC, there is much more support for the cals, and it will only require some wiring changes which you will have to do anyway.

Garrett booster

the computer that i have is for a 92 turbo 2.5 daytona, which is a TI or TII i think. i thought that the only TIII car was the 92-93 iroc r/t 2.2? found it on Ebay and the seller listed the vin from the car it was pulled from and said it was a shelby or an iroc. i just found what Chris from TU told me to find.

Garrett booster

i have also read on this site, guys using the computer from a manual car for an auto just leaving that lockup thing unplugged and it working perfect, i would love a 5-speed but the only reason i want to keep it an auto is 1. i am lazy and 2.i know it involves all of the cables and stuff and a new shifter console.

I see now. The 2.5 TI IROCs were super rare. You should be able to track down an auto cal for that car, but the fact that it is SBECII makes it a little more difficult.

The TIII could be had in a 91 or 92 Spirit R/T or the 92-93 IROC R/T.

Garrett booster

though they were rare, i found an SBECII from one that was 5-speed. i will work but the idle and revs are VERY slightly off.

Quote Originally Posted by TonaKid62 View Post
    though they were rare, i found an SBECII from one that was 5-speed. i will work but the idle and revs are VERY slightly off.
    So you have already made the swap?

Garrett booster

i have talked to guys that HAVE made the swap before and they said that the way the revs drop under decel is very slightly different because it isn't an electronic auto trans. so it is all good. i just need to know which trans would be good to use.

Garrett booster

BUMP! can anyone tell me which trans i need to find? its for an auto 92 2.5 turbo daytona.

You will need an A413 with the lockup converter. I think they started putting them in the cars in 90? I believe the turbo trans is a bit stronger so I would make sure you get one out of a turbo car.

Garrett booster

ok, thanks. thats what i thought. i was told that as long as i do not beat the car(drag race it) it would be ok. do they reman. them? i would rather spend the money for a new one, or can i just get mine rebuilt to be stronger for the turbo.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

You can run without the lockup if you can't find the proper computer. You will need to wire the lockup in if you do want to run that but no biggie.

You need a turbo A413, TU, Cliff Ramsdel can build you one and if your going to beat on it, get a better torque converter.

If you decide just to run a regular A413, then you can still use an auto or 5 speed computer or get it modified. I've tried both on my auto and the 5 speed seems to have a hair lower idle.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

If you are not going to hook up the lock up feature of the trans you could use just about any turbo 413.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmonty View Post
    If you are not going to hook up the lock up feature of the trans you could use just about any turbo 413.
    That too but converters are usually a bit more money.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

what about neon autos? in our case?
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Garrett booster

i have an A413, i am guessing, but it is from my TBI daytona, would just getting it rebuilt to stand up to the turbo be cheaper than buying a new trans?

and finding a different computer from the super rare 92 2.5 turbo iroc daytona that was auto no less would be 99.9% imposible. i am lucky i found one in the first place. i am looking to spend no more than $4500 for everything(TU long block engine, harnesses, turbo, etc.)

IMO you can go one of two ways with the trans.

1. Learn how they work by fixing them and upgrading them when they break.

2. Send it out to the Ramsdel's place and have them build it nice and stout.

I really don't know which option would be cheaper in the long run, but I know which one is less work and aggravation.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

I just happen to have a 1992 turbo auto computer, let me know if you end up wanting that for your project.

Garrett booster

i really wish that i found you earlier. i already bought one off ebay for 80 bucks. but just in case the other one doesn't work out, i will keep you in mind. just don't throw it away, it is super rare(that is what i was told).

now to just find the engine and injector harnesses and sub harnesses for a turbo car,(or will my stock TBI engine harness work?, then i just need to get the injector harness from a dealership)

Quote Originally Posted by TonaKid62 View Post
    i really wish that i found you earlier. i already bought one off ebay for 80 bucks. but just in case the other one doesn't work out, i will keep you in mind. just don't throw it away, it is super rare(that is what i was told).

now to just find the engine and injector harnesses and sub harnesses for a turbo car,(or will my stock TBI engine harness work?, then i just need to get the injector harness from a dealership)
    I don't know for sure, but I would think that you could get most of the harness off of a 90+ turbo car. Paying to get everything from the dealer will kill you if it is still available. It never hurts to check their prices, but a lot of the old stuff like that will probably be outrageous if you can even find it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast