Thread: "G" head vs "Swirl" in a 2.2L

Garrett booster

Cool "G" head vs "Swirl" in a 2.2L

I'm building a T2 Omni, and currently have a few Swirl (782) heads to use, but have been throwing around the idea of running a "G" (287) head.

There are some pros and cons that come with both of the heads.

782-
    Good: more torque
    Bad: affected top end, less flow

287-
    Good: better top end, better flow
    Bad: less torque

I don't claim to have proven these characteristics, I've just read a bit about the heads on Minimopar, and Donovan's site.

Anyway, I'll be running a 2.2L with a stock Garrett running 15+ pounds of boost, and an A555 tranny. The 2.2 already gives up some in torque (vs a 2.5) but has better top end. Therefore I would think a Swirl head would be appropriate as it makes up some of the torque that the 2.2 gives up. And the 2.2 makes up for the top end that the Swirl head lacks. This even more so if I port the Swirl head.

I want a car that preforms well on the street, and isn't just a burnout machine. Also, sticking with what I have will save me some money to spend on other things.

What are your thoughts on this? Is it really going to hinder my quest for a 250 whp Omni?

2.2L & Swirl
    2.2L & G

?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: "G" head vs "Swirl" in a 2.2L

What pistons are you going to be using?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

G head with proper calibration.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Not sure if you'll notice much difference really, stock vs. stock.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I think with a stock turbo, you'll notice a loss and won't get your numbers at 15 psi, even with a swirl head. You'll have to run more boost due to the lower compression, if running swirl pistons.

You also need a cal.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Not sure if you'll notice much difference really, stock vs. stock.
    Unless you go g-head with swirl pistons, i think you bump the compression down some causing more lag unless you advance the timing
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

turbo addict

I like the swirl. I had no problem making plenty of power at 6000rpms with a 2.5 and a swirl head. And with the new ported swirl head and intake/exhaust setup she likes anything over 4grand and will cruise down the street at 6k

turbo addict

i just took my omni to the dyno, still needs some tuning and a new clutch, but sounds like we are trying for similar goals. the motor is getting tired too but with 86 t1, stage 2 comp, diode map clamp, 12 deg timing, 17psi, stock garret, 1 pc intake & tb, +18 injectors, adjustable fuel pressure reg set at 46 psi, stock ic, slider cam, swirl head, 3" sv and 3" mandrel out the drivers side i made 213 hp and 258 tq. that was a third gear pull because my clutch was slipping in 4th. i think i could have made more? it seemed both hp and tq peaked at 4200, hp stayed there till 5200 where they intersected, went down to 187 at 6000. it also had a af/r at 11.2 till boost leaned out to 12.5 at 4200, then dropped to 10.8 at 5000 and 10.2 at 6000. that setup was good enough to get me a 9.3 with a 2.4 60 foot in the eigth mile with bfg kdw on 16" bbs. doesnt help u much on a decision becuase i am still wondering if i want to run a g head too? i have both, but good luck.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I have had very good results with a swirl head. IIRC Stephan posted several times that he preferred the swirl heads with his 8v setups because he didn't have to pull as much timing per lb. of boost at higher boost levels.

If you were shooting for the lowest possible compression etc., then I would go with the G head, but otherwise I will stick with the swirl.

Garrett booster

Thanks for all the info guys.

OmniLuvr, I want to talk to you more about your car. Seems like we're building similar Omnis.

turbo addict

Ive had a few TDs that were inter cooled, had exhaust, more fuel and upped boost. 2 were swirl cars, and one had a g-head. Using the SOTP meter, both the swirl cars would have blown the doors off the g-head car.

I actually have a rebuild g-head in my garage that I have decided has no home...

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Okay well the G head has bigger CC chamber IE lower cylinder pressure. So if you have lower cylinder pressure you could add more timing under higher boost with a G head. The swirl head has a smaller combustion Chamber IE higher cylinder pressure so under higher boost you would have to pull more time under higher boost on a swirl Head. On my 2.2 I am running a swirl head but my chambers are milled bathtub or G style so that I may run more timing at 26 pounds of boost to reduce 60 foot lag. This means 1.72 60 foot times with 91.4 mph ets on 1/8 th mile track that is with slicks I have not yet Dynoed the car. I am now working on a swirl head that I will not mill to G head chamber but will install 44 intakes and 36.8 exaust valves but I will raise the intake port 3/4s of an inch on the head by welding up the port and the top of head in valve area. Any way with the power you want Swirl head rules. This next trip to the the track I will be adding more timing a degree at a time till it knocks then retard one degree. Should really help my 60 foot times