Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are you using for a good handling suspension?

turbo addict

What are you using for a good handling suspension?

Well the time has come where I want to improve the handling on my daytona shelby. I believe, and others have suggest that someone have put minivan springs in the front of my car. The front sits a good 2 inches higher than the back.

My strut bearings are also worn out, you hear them on ever turns, and every bump.

I guess what Im looking for is what is the best Springs, and struts to get for all 4 corners. Im looking the best handling, I dont want the car slammed.

Also what is a good brand of strut bearing to buy? I figure the autozone ones are crap like most of their parts. Does mopar still stock them?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: What are you using for a good handling suspension?

Bearings-most aftermarket are either KYB, Gabriel or Monroe and probably all the same but different box's.

Good springs, Eibachs.

Get poly bushings while its apart.

Shocks and struts, lowered, you don't have much choice, Bilstein then Gabriel VST and followed by KYB. Sensatracs are a no go with a lowered car.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Koni's!!!! if you can find them Energy suspension bushings for the lower control arms if you have to have poly. Then mod your sway bar like this http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2579 click on the pics for part #'s and descriptions of what to do.

Garrett booster

>Shocks and struts, lowered, you don't have much choice, Bilstein then Gabriel VST and followed by KYB. Sensatracs are a no go with a lowered car.

Are Gabriel VSTs still available? If you go to Gabriel.com, the only shocks/struts listed for our cars are their Ultra line. Well, they have their cheaper line too, but no VSTs. Are the Ultras the same as the VSTs?

Do you mean Gabriel VSTs are better than the KYB Gas-a-Just or their GR2? You can still get Gas-a-Just shocks of the rear, but the only struts from KYB are GR2s. Assuming Gabriel VSTs (Ultras?) are not better than the KYB Gas-a-justs but better than the KYB GR2s, then perhaps the best reasonably priced combo would be Gabriel VST struts and KYB gas-a-just shocks? (Koni's and Bilsteins cost more than my car!)

Also, where's the cheapest you've found these? CarQuest doesn't carry Gabriels anymore. I looked online and can't find Gabriel Ultras for our cars anywhere. Cheapest place for KYBs I've found is autopartswarehouse.com at $63.30 for KYB GR2 strut and $54.40 for KYB Gas-a-just shock with free shipping. Anyone find anyplace cheaper?

whats up with koni's? are they discontinued for k based cars?
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

turbo addict

Okay so I think Im going with the KYB shocks, Using the Gas-adjust rear shocks.

Then the 400# eibachs on the front, and the 300# on the rear

The eibach pro kit springs comes with front and rear, and cost a little more. But is it better? I dont see a spring rate listed.

turbo addict

If you're gonna try that spring rate you better find some Koni's. The KYB's aren't gonna deal with that. They barely can deal with the stock springs on my GLH. Of course you better be racing on billiard smooth asphalt with those rates too.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    If you're gonna try that spring rate you better find some Koni's. The KYB's aren't gonna deal with that. They barely can deal with the stock springs on my GLH. Of course you better be racing on billiard smooth asphalt with those rates too.
    Its a full weight daytona, probally a good 600 pounds more than a GLH. I seemed like a good choice, since you can still get a stiffer spring rate, and the next choice is a 275# front, and 225# rear.

I deff do not want a spring that cannot be rebound controlled by the shocks though. Do you know what the stock spring rate is?

Go with the Gabriel strut, they are much firmer than the GR2's. Tried them back to back on my van.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

again, which gabriels and where can you get them online?

I think #400 is too stiff for the front unless its a track car. Id run the 275f/300r if you could do that rather than the 400 front.

gas-a-justs for the back will probly handle the 300# ones decent but as said the gr-2s will flat out NOT control even a #300 spring in the front let alone 400.

where can you get the bilstein's?

turbo addict

Eibach pro kit is 300front and 330 rear progressive springs. People say the KYB struts dont work well on the front with those springs.

i think a 275 front and 300-330 rear would be ok on whatever people use on the front the gas adjusts on the rear

I have 350 front and 450 rear on my mostly gutted spirit and Koni's all around and I like it, but its a little stiff.

Koni coil overs, Eibach springs, 220's in the front, like 280-300'ish in the rear, Energy Suspension bushings, oversized sway bar. Factory spring rates for my Charger were like low 200's and upper 100's. But since I didn't want to have the stiffest front end known to man, I moved the higher rated springs to the rear.

Going to do a strut tower brace eventually when I can get one fabricated and possibly one for the rear. Don't need the rear one, but maybe for AutoX'ing if I get into it.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    Well the time has come where I want to improve the handling on my daytona shelby. I believe, and others have suggest that someone have put minivan springs in the front of my car. The front sits a good 2 inches higher than the back.

My strut bearings are also worn out, you hear them on ever turns, and every bump.

I guess what Im looking for is what is the best Springs, and struts to get for all 4 corners. Im looking the best handling, I dont want the car slammed.

Also what is a good brand of strut bearing to buy? I figure the autozone ones are crap like most of their parts. Does mopar still stock them?
    Eibach Springs, Koni struts/shocks (discontinued unfortunately), 2 1/4 inch front sway bar with poly bushings (except the center swaybar busying), polybushings rear sway bar, all polybushings suspension bushings CS Racer adjustable anhard Bar (Track Bar), CS Racer G-Body rear shock brace, SPICER strut mount professional grade,
    SPICER professional ball joint, SPICER professional tie rod, and GOOD tires of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    whats up with koni's? are they discontinued for k based cars?
    Discounted due to very little sell numbers. Still available as coil over for L-body.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    Okay so I think Im going with the KYB shocks, Using the Gas-adjust rear shocks.

Then the 400# eibachs on the front, and the 300# on the rear

Bad idea. The struts I have experience with my Daytona are 20 years old stock ones, GR-2, and Koni. Shocks are old stock ones, GR-2, Gas-a-just, and Koni

Stock ones were well worn. When you accelerate or brake, the front end raise or lower accordingly.

GR-2 feel good the first 1 month, but after 6 months of use, it is worn, when i took it out after 2 years of usage to upgrade, if you push on the middle tube on the strut, it doesn't even want to come back out. Gas-a-just shocks are much firmer than GR-2 shocks. Gas-a-just are fine for the rear, tube still goes up after you push it down.
    http://www.thelostartof.net/tryingbe...rutsshocks.jpg

Koni, ride is stiff, like expected. They're awesome compare to worn out stock and worn out GR2.

If you're expecting a smooth ride, any worn out struts/shocks or cheap replacement struts/shocks will do.

If you're wanting a stiff ride, or actually to perform in a race, koni is the way. Unless you go custom.

Man 400's seem a little stiff in my opinion, but the Daytonas do weigh more. Is that spring rating close to the factory rates? Seems high.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

I have no idea where to get Gabriels online, I try to buy stuff like that local,

Bilstein, I think FWD or try Bilstein.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I have no idea where to get Gabriels online, I try to buy stuff like that local,

Bilstein, I think FWD or try Bilstein.
    autozone showed both of those when I checked, only ones they carry

turbo addict

Bilstein for TD are just TC which means tour class. Soft OEM replacement. Nothing special.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

well blah then.

also im pretty sure stock shelby rates were ~145 lb/in. .....yup.

all you really need in the front for a street car is something between say 220-300. anything over that is ride loss with little performance gain that you could use on the street.

the rear on the other hand pretty much ride goes shitty if you get any higher than stock so put whatever rate is gonna give you the most neutral handling without snap oversteer.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Bilstein for TD are just TC which means tour class. Soft OEM replacement. Nothing special.
    Maybe so but Bilstein can tune them for your needs, I called about that when I had my Bilstein coil overs.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    well blah then.

also im pretty sure stock shelby rates were ~145 lb/in. .....yup.

all you really need in the front for a street car is something between say 220-300. anything over that is ride loss with little performance gain that you could use on the street.

the rear on the other hand pretty much ride goes shitty if you get any higher than stock so put whatever rate is gonna give you the most neutral handling without snap oversteer.
    Thanks for that info. Of some reason I though the stock was 280, from what someone told me, or I read I cant remember, but it seems high to me considering how smooth the daytona is over bumps.

I may stick with stock rear springs at first with a soft shock. Run the 275 springs and see how it reacts, maybe a I can find a set of Adjustable Koni's for the front.

I know that setup is going to suck for drag racing though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast