Thread: Sandblaster suggestions?

Mitsu booster

Sandblaster suggestions?

Decided on this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38440.

I've checked a couple manuals for blasters and none is helpful with:
    1. Size of nozzles for various abrasives
    2. What abrasive is best for different applications

Aluminum wheels? Steel wheels? Brake and suspension parts? Engine parts? Sheet metal? Do 80-grit glass beads work for all? Is aluminum oxide preferred for certain applications? How about actual sand?

I have 4 pumpers and 4 swisscheese that basically just need clearcoat removed (will be painted or powdercoated)...4 snowflakes that have scratches + clearcoat...disk brake rotors, assorted brackets, swingvalve, turbo housings (will be disassembled first!) with surface rust, 4 steelies that need paint stripped, etc.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Re: Sandblaster suggestions?

I just started using my cabinet a few weeks ago and have been happy with the glass bead so far. I'm not sure what grit it is, but was able to get it in a 55lb bag from Carquest for a better price than harbor freight. It doesn't cut through rust as well as aluminum oxide or sand, but the finished product ends up looking nicer, much less pitting than with some of the coarser materials. Not much dust in the cabinet either, haven't even needed to hook up the vacuum. I haven't tried a wheel yet, but I have a set of Crab wheels I want to do soon.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Garrett booster

Ground up wal-nut shells works wonders on aluminum--bobr19

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cellar dweller
    I have 4 pumpers and 4 swisscheese that basically just need clearcoat removed ...
    Paint stripper rules for taking clear coat off wheels

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Well - here is everything I know about it.

100 pound bags of sandblasting sand - the kind painters use to strip paint off of houses is $5/bag around here. It works fine for cast iron parts BUT it is less durable. It has iron in it and that is a problem if you want to blast anything other than iron or steel because it leaves iron oxide residue in the surface. If you use it on aluminum, for example, the aluminum cannot appear really bright - the imbedded rust gives it slightly dirty look.

Also, the sand shatters on impact, basically it loses its cutting ability quickly and it turns into silicon dust. Silicosis is a lung disease than can result from prolonged exposure, so OSHA has a problem with plain sand in sand blasting cabinets.

Glass beads last longer, the grit stays sharper, and they make less dust. Walnut shells are great for softer materials.\

Air pressure is important for the longevity of your media - too high and it will shatter; just right and it will last a long time.

My favorite combo for sand cast aluminum, not die cast aluminum, is to glass bead followed by shot peen. The glass beads open the surface to virgin
    metal and then the shot peens burnish and close all the torn open "pores" that would other wise hold oil and dirt. The surface remains bright and clean - better than new - for a very long time before it oxidizes again.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Mitsu booster

Paint stripper rules for taking clear coat off wheels
    I'm trying to keep what remains of my brain intact by cutting down on noxious fumes when possible. Stripper wouldn't help with existing oxidation where the clearcoat has been compromised (yeah, I shoulda mentioned that before).

is to glass bead followed by shot peen.
    Steel shot, like #9? Use the biggest nozzle and pretty high PSI? I have #9 lead shot but I don't think that is a good substitute

Ground up wal-nut shells works wonders on aluminum
    I have unused ground walnut and ground corncob from my case tumbler, about a buck a pound.

Sounds like "real" sand and aluminum oxide are out; glass, walnuts and steel shot are in, which just leaves the question of which nozzle to use...

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cellar dweller
    I'm trying to keep what remains of my brain intact by cutting down on noxious fumes when possible. Stripper wouldn't help with existing oxidation where the clearcoat has been compromised (yeah, I shoulda mentioned that before).
    gotcha...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

I remember seeing a Eastwood catalog that has a chart for the different media and what it's best used for. if you have one laying around take a look, if not order one.

every car guy should have a Eastwood catalog, if nothing else it's something to drool over.