Thread: power steering problem

Mitsu booster

power steering problem

I have a csx-t with original steering rack and pump was replaced 5 years ago. I have not run the car in some time. I did noticed a leak on the rack but not sure where it is. I put in a bottle of Lucas sealer into the pump and the steering works now. After a day of use no leaks but the pump make a grinding/squealing noise. How do I know if the rack is no good or is it the pump? Not sure if I have air in the lines or something.

Any help would be great!!

Thanks

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: power steering problem

What colour is the fluid? if its brown and full of bubbles, most likely an air leak somewhere or its just full of air, which can take days to bleed out.

Racks, unless leaking, usually won't make the ps pump whine, and pumps are cheap so it would be a good idea just to replace the pump and go from there.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

If you must replace the PS pump, make sure you go with the metal pump not the plastic. Also make sure to get the correct bracket as well since both pump brackets are different.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    What colour is the fluid? if its brown and full of bubbles, most likely an air leak somewhere or its just full of air, which can take days to bleed out.

Racks, unless leaking, usually won't make the ps pump whine, and pumps are cheap so it would be a good idea just to replace the pump and go from there.
    Pumps are cheap but a nightmare to swap!

You can take out a PS pump running it dry. I don't know about days to bleed out though. Maybe to get every last bit of air out but not the quantities it takes to cavitate the pump into noise mode.

If it's all coudy, let it sit till it looks like clear (not foamy) top it off and do the left and right thing (don't hammer it at the extreme left/right) it should get foamy again if they'res air in the rack. if not, THEN you probably have a bad pump. Simon said he'd come down and do it for you though so no sweat!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    and pumps are cheap
    Not so much with the ZF pumps on the CSX-Ts.

Like 571 said, go with a metal one unless you're concerned about the car being all original. They're cheaper and longer lasting. However, the pressure hose is also specific, so you'll need to replace that too. Should run around $20 at the parts store.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    Not so much with the ZF pumps on the CSX-Ts.

Like 571 said, go with a metal one unless you're concerned about the car being all original. They're cheaper and longer lasting. However, the pressure hose is also specific, so you'll need to replace that too. Should run around $20 at the parts store.
    Sure they are, Rockauto has them for $50-60

You can't swap pumps unless you get the matching brackets and mounting hardware, they are both completely different.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info