Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Holset TIII..

Re: Another Holset TIII..

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    ^^^+1

Except the spool on your 2.4 seems to be a little better than my 2.2. But, Turboshad, you have a header style manifold correct? This will really help out with spool. I was following your build and your car is an amazing piece of work, from the intake to the paint, to the polished Holset, etc.....MAD PROPS

I think the big thing I am lacking right now is air intake capabilities. These holset flow so much air they would love a big plenum intake and throttle body. Right now i'm all stock including the 52mm TB. I think big HP can be gained there on my set-up. For now I need my adj cam gears so I can centerline these things.

I have a vid but it's on a public road so I don't know if I should show it........................
    I totally agree with the intake thing. I have started looking into a new one.

Also, about the vid.... I am sure its all computer generated (wink, wink) so its fine. Have you seen some of my vids? lol I havent had one from the track in a year. lol Please post!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bansheenut420 View Post
    AWESOME! Please get some video!
    I am going to try to make it to the dyno this weekend. I think 400whp is not out of the question on a measley 20psi.
    Can't wait to see your numbers!! 400 @ 20psi would be awesome.

I think Rick D picked up 38whp on a TIII 50trim with his intake and no other modifications! Imagine that with a Holset that flows a ton more than the 50 trim with ease. Too bad he hasn't been making any lately

Can't wait to see your numbers!! 400 @ 20psi would be awesome.
    I know its extreme bench racing, but I WALKED a modded srt8 the other night. And a supra claiming he had 400whp saw my taillights by alteast 2 cars on sunday. So, keeping fingers crossed. Then I will put the new Walbro in, and go for broke. I either want to make WELL into the 500whp range (gotta beat the 8v with the HUGE shot form the other board), or ventilate the block. Which ever comes first.

I think Rick D picked up 38whp on a TIII 50trim with his intake and no other modifications! Imagine that with a Holset that flows a ton more than the 50 trim with ease. Too bad he hasn't been making any lately
    We need to start bugging "Jackson Racing" to make us some intakes. I could only imagine how happy a nice big plenum would make this thing.

What is the flow rate for a hybrid?
    Here are the flow rates of some Holsets in comparison to some GT series crap.
    HX35 63 lb/min
    HX40 74 lb/min
    H1E 72 lb/min

Some Garrett GT40 ratings for comparison:
    GT4082R 50T 58 lb/min
    GT4088R 52T 68 lb/min
    GT4088R 54T 72 lb/min

I think 74lb/min is more than I will ever need. maybe. lol

We need to start bugging "Jackson Racing" to make us some intakes. I could only imagine how happy a nice big plenum would make this thing.
    Okay, you call him in early in the morning everday and I will call him at night until he can't take it anymore

Don't know how to post vids on this site so, someone help a brotha out........

nevermind, that was easy. may take i min I just uploaded it. enjoy.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Luckily, I already have a big plenum intake with a 58mm T/B,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Nice vid. Were you on race gas to run 30 PSI? What calibration are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    Nice vid. Were you on race gas to run 30 PSI? What calibration are you running?
    Nope 93 and methanol. FWPerfomance s5. Thanks, i was tuning the methanol on those vids so it was not full throttle.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Sad thing is, my holset spools as fast or faster than my old pos s70 in a .48 housing!

When you going to get her to the track/dyno?
    Hmm, that's odd, your old S70 spools fine on the Rampage and all I did was throw a stock turbine wheel in the thing. I can't think of any reason why that would help

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

^^^+1

Except the spool on your 2.4 seems to be a little better than my 2.2. But, Turboshad, you have a header style manifold correct? This will really help out with spool. I was following your build and your car is an amazing piece of work, from the intake to the paint, to the polished Holset, etc.....MAD PROPS

I think the big thing I am lacking right now is air intake capabilities. These holset flow so much air they would love a big plenum intake and throttle body. Right now i'm all stock including the 52mm TB. I think big HP can be gained there on my set-up. For now I need my adj cam gears so I can centerline these things.

I have a vid but it's on a public road so I don't know if I should show it........................
    Thx. It was a bunch of work but always worth it.

Bearing in mind it is a 2.4, though looking at the difference between the 2.2 and 2.5 8Vs maybe it doesn't mean that much, if I recall right I made my intake around 4L. I was going for at least 1.5X displacement. I am using a 65mm TB and the runners are around 8"-12" from plenum to valve. Sorry for the rough numbers, going by memory here which is poor to say the least.

I wouldn't say it is neccessarily peaky but it definately loves the top end and the throttle reponse is still quite good which was one of my fears when building it with the large plenum, TB and intake piping. Hopefully I will have some numbers in the spring that should show weather the larger plenum/short runner is doing me good or bad. But I have to say from initial impressions it has absolutely no trouble breathing with the combo. So I would definately agree with using at least 1.5X your displacement as somewhere to start.

DJ

EDIT: Just watched the video..................SWEET A$$!! Do to the boost controlling issues I haven't been able to do a solid high boost run since I haven't been able to work the tune out up there. Videos like that give me the inspiration I need and get me more excited. Are you running 30 psi on pump??

turbo addict

What is the flow rate for a hybrid?
    Here are the flow rates of some Holsets in comparison to some GT series crap.
    HX35 63 lb/min
    HX40 74 lb/min
    H1E 72 lb/min

Some Garrett GT40 ratings for comparison:
    GT4082R 50T 58 lb/min
    GT4088R 52T 68 lb/min
    GT4088R 54T 72 lb/min

I think 74lb/min is more than I will ever need. maybe. lol
    What happened to our conversation about some of this info being wrong on the holsets.

Your 6 blade is a 60mm compressor, and I believe it only flows 66 lb/min according to the DSM guys and the 7 blade version is 56mm and I dont know how much it flows, but less then 66.
    This means the HX40 is less lopsided then we thought. That said, if you think you can use all 66lb/min then more power to you
    I know I will never use all of my turbo.

That said it seems to fit your car a lot better then all the turbos that Simon is using on his TIII.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Hmm, that's odd, your old S70 spools fine on the Rampage and all I did was throw a stock turbine wheel in the thing. I can't think of any reason why that would help
    haha, I hope I understand the sarcasm in this post without getting anyone who might be involved with the old wheel mad.
    If I was more well acquainted with him back then you wouldn't have had to change the turbine wheel. Sorry I couldnt save you some dollars.

"small" turbo plus lag = worst of both worlds.

turbo addict

BTW, get the car running right so we can see WOT runs. Part throttle is just fun noise :P

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Me either. I wonder why that could be. lol How did you end up with my s70? I thought I sold it to a guy in canada.

Don't know how to post vids on this site so, someone help a brotha out........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whh94XMBbtc

nevermind, that was easy. may take i min I just uploaded it. enjoy.
    Thats awesome! I need to do some daytime vids bad. lol Are you on your stock pump still? I wanna know why mine is crapping out at 22psi, and you and jackson are going to 30. lol But, luckily the fuel pump showed the other day. Please, keep the vids coming. I would like to see a shot of the speedo sweeping up! YOu using the DevilsOwn kit or somthing else? Jet size?
    Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Luckily, I already have a big plenum intake with a 58mm T/B,
    Jackson racing will be making some T3 ones with 60somthing ford TBs. These holsets are dying for a better intake. None of us are on better intakes yet.
    Nope 93 and methanol. FWPerfomance s5. Thanks, i was tuning the methanol on those vids so it was not full throttle.
    I have yet to pick up any knock. But, I am only on a stage 3. Why am I only on a stage 3 anyway. lol But, that being said FWD CALS FTW! My a/f ratio looks nice and flat, well for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    What happened to our conversation about some of this info being wrong on the holsets.

Your 6 blade is a 60mm compressor, and I believe it only flows 66 lb/min according to the DSM guys and the 7 blade version is 56mm and I dont know how much it flows, but less then 66.
    This means the HX40 is less lopsided then we thought. That said, if you think you can use all 66lb/min then more power to you
    I know I will never use all of my turbo.

That said it seems to fit your car a lot better then all the turbos that Simon is using on his TIII.
    Yeah, I remembered after I posted, but that I got that info off hondatech so, ya know the honda guys. lol I dont think I will ever use it all, but you never know. The spare block in my garage is getting the full treatment. I still have that high 9k rpm itch.

Holset, FTW.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Jackson Racing eh? Why aren't we hearing from Jackson himself about this? Is he a vendor now? And what is it with the "Holset Haters" thing? Is that like the imaginary 3.0L haters club?

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Jackson Racing eh? Why aren't we hearing from Jackson himself about this? Is he a vendor now? And what is it with the "Holset Haters" thing? Is that like the imaginary 3.0L haters club?
    lol Yeah, thats what we like to call him (kind of an inside joke). I had a 45 min conversation with him about it last night. He has to make one for him, and test it before he will be making anymore. Do you think I would get on here and randomly say he is going to do somthing? And, I dont know that he is "selling" them so much as he is making probably atleast 2 other than his. So, no I doubt he is becoming a vendor. But, I cant speak for him. Just spill the beans on his next project. And, the Holset haters thing is basically an inside joke as well. That, and me speaking how I felt. Maybe a few others agree, maybe they dont. So, yeah I figure its like the imaginary 3.0 haters club. lol

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast