Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Holset TIII..

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Another Holset TIII..

I'm pretty new to "this" forum but i have been on the other one for a few years. Anyway..........

Okay, got the holset on and running It was not just a bolt and go affair. For those that are thinking about it, here's the low-down..........

Turbo is a Holset HE351CW off a 03-05 cummings 24V common rail engine..

You have to re-clock the turbo and cut off the WG actuator bracket thats made into the compressor cover. Obvisouly, you will need a TIG welder so you can reattach it where you like. There is a small pin that keeps the turbo clocked where you want it so, you will have to drill a new hole for it once you get the turbo clocked.

For the oil supply you will need a 12mm X 1.5 to -4an adapter for the turbo and then I used my existing fwperfomance SS supply line.The stock T3 drain bolts right up and is good!

If you haven't already, you will have to cut the back "ear" off the tranny. There is also a lead weight on the end of the shifter cable that needs to be taken off.(I don't see any use for it anyway).

Last is a bigger one. The bobble strut needs to be modified. I had mine cut down already for the 50 trim and I was only running the bottom bushing. I still had to bring it down. YES, THE COMPRESSOR IS THAT BIG Jackson gave me the idea of cutting the actual bracket so that you can run both Poly bushings. All said and done I removed about 1 1/2 inches and will run both bushing. Here's how it looks.....

I made a new upper IC hose........

hot out the powder coat oven.......

The compressor outlet is 2.75 so, I am using a 2.75 to 2.5 reducer 90.

Turbine outlet is about 3.85 inches V-band but, a 4 inch v-band will work. I am using a "Jackson Racing" 4-inch v-band to 3-inch DP and then back to my 3inch cut-out......In this pic you can see the firewall clearance, BTW I massaged it with a hammer a little....

Here it is all done..

Anyway, I did drive it a little but I didn't get on it too hard because I didn't have that tranny mount finished and the motor was loose plus, I was low on methanol. I got up to 20lbs and this thing moves. I pulled a G37 on the highway half throttle When this thing spools it sounds like a jet engine I am gonna tune my methanol and fuel tomorrow and get up to 25-27lbs. STAY TUNED!

boostaholic

Re: Another Holset TIII..

that is sexy please keep us up dated

Thanks! sorry the motor is so dirty

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Nice! And nice to see ppl making use of the factory W/G actuator, it rocks!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    I'm pretty new to "this" forum but i have been on the other one for a few years. Anyway..........
    Welcome! You'll fit in well, nice work

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Welcome! You'll fit in well, nice work
    Thanks a lot!

boostaholic

He forgot to tell you all the turbo mods were done for him you know Way to let us do all the R&D and you take all the credit Haha,JK buddy,glad you got it together
    This thing was an absolute animal driving around on the street. It was almost un-drivable with street tires(100 MPH,4th gear,27PSI,and let the tire smoke begin!) We drove it with BFG DRs on most of the time. Lets just say at a roll Evos,Z06s and some bikes saw the taillights of the "Not-Rod" Remember Carrol 400+ WHP and 12.50s or better before you even start to post results

HOLSET POWER BABY!!!

turbo addict

Banshee didnt have to mod the bobble strut bracket. I guess his turbine housing lifts the compressor farther away from the bracket. Might take my motor out, replace the freeze plug in the bellhousing and go beat up on his holset cause he is clutch handicapped lol.

What clutch are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Lotashelbys View Post
    He forgot to tell you all the turbo mods were done for him you know Way to let us do all the R&D and you take all the credit Haha,JK buddy,glad you got it together
    This thing was an absolute animal driving around on the street. It was almost un-drivable with street tires(100 MPH,4th gear,27PSI,and let the tire smoke begin!) We drove it with BFG DRs on most of the time. Lets just say at a roll Evos,Z06s and some bikes saw the taillights of the "Not-Rod" Remember Carrol 400+ WHP and 12.50s or better before you even start to post results

HOLSET POWER BABY!!!
    WTF? I have no idea who this guy even is!! LMAO. NO, you did clock the turbo and weld on the bracket but, that was the easy part I did mention the "Jackson Racing"(hint hint) downpipe. My car has so many of your parts I should get sponsorship, DP, Turbo, shifter......

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Banshee didnt have to mod the bobble strut bracket. I guess his turbine housing lifts the compressor farther away from the bracket. Might take my motor out, replace the freeze plug in the bellhousing and go beat up on his holset cause he is clutch handicapped lol.

What clutch are you using?
    That's probably it cause with the stock housing it sit really low. I wish i didn't have to modify it but, at least if i go bigger in the future i'll be ready

Clutch is TU 4-puck w/yellow plate. I'm gonna try to put my brand new M+H 23 inchers on and make it to the track Friday to see if she holds....

Nice bracket for the wastegate cannister!

I lack the ability to weld aluminum and I didn't want to farm it out so I made this plate from scrap stainless bolted to the "old" wastegate mount.

Concerning the clocking pin, I just removed it. There are allot of guys running these on fords and what not that run without the pin with no problem, and I didn't think it would matter too much. I did not cut the ear off the tranny, but I did have to modify the shifter cable bracket (lowered). I may also be pinching the speedo cable. But hybrids are a little different then the fancy lotus stuff concerning placement. I plan to go solid motor mounts, so I lost the tranny strut.

I'm also using the mitsu waste can, I didn't think the holset can has the ability to regulate around 7 or so psi, which is what I want to run when breaking in the engine and clutch.

Your waste can mount is Much more firewall friendly than mine.

I don't have an exhaust or intercooler pipes hooked up yet so I can't say what its like on a hybrid. Good luck if you make it to the track!

Forgot to ask,

What on earth did you use for the retainer clip on the compressor housing? I could not even find ring pin pliers large enough to buy, I ended up muscling it in with two sets of vice-grips.

Also, did you remove the silencer ring on the compressor inlet? Mines out, I'm all about that "jet engine" sound you describe.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by mboyek View Post
    Forgot to ask,

What on earth did you use for the retainer clip on the compressor housing? I could not even find ring pin pliers large enough to buy, I ended up muscling it in with two sets of vice-grips.

Also, did you remove the silencer ring on the compressor inlet? Mines out, I'm all about that "jet engine" sound you describe.
    I had to pick up a large 45 degree snap ring pliers from my Snap-On man. That worked perfect and you can actually remove it in the car

Yes,the silencer ring is long gone

Also,about the WG can,I tried a stock TIII can and I could get it to regulate boost hardly at all. I think with using the stock Holset housing you will need to port the crap out of the WG hole and help direct it a little better than it is stock. The way it is now I could get 27 PSI every time.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What are you using for an air filter? I don't see anything hooked up?

Guess I have to start looking for one for the van next year,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    What are you using for an air filter? I don't see anything hooked up?

Guess I have to start looking for one for the van next year,
    It's there, you can see it. It's a little mesh sock like filter that Jackson uses on his go-carts air filters. I want to get a good inlet filter going but for now that will do. It is going to be a pain running a 4-inch tube in that tight area. The heater core lines are right there.

boostaholic

Nice install, looks good!

MBOYEK....that a nice idea with that bracket.

BTW, This thing pulls like crazy!!!! Lag is increase(obviously)over the 50 trim but when it comes on it is angry Once again, the sound of a Holset is ADDICTIVE.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Nice work! Can't wait to see the number's it lays down

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

You should post up a vid of it,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Any surge as boost/rpm's come up?

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast