Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 250 WHP using a stock Garrett

Garrett booster

250 WHP using a stock Garrett

Building a T2 Omni, and 250 whp or 13.5xx in the quarter is my goal.

I want to save money and stick with my Garrett. What kind of psi am I going to be running, and will a stock Garrett get me there?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: 250 WHP using a stock Garrett

Stock Garrett, 20psi 42pph injectors, 100 octane... this is on a T2 intercooled setup running '87 MP Stage 2 LM

EDIT: referencing my stock T2 motor Shadow 12.89@104.5mph

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7538

and http://www.badassperformance.com/mri...one/clone.html

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Garrett booster

Wow, so there is hope. What kind of fuel pressure are you running?

boostaholic

My GLHT, 18 psi, MP +1mm ported head, +20's, ported exhaust mani, Spearco IC, gutted with slicks and skinny rears = 13.15
    I remember Gary D going 12's in his full weight Daytona

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Just remember one word-TUNING,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

"......What kind of psi am I going to be running, and will a stock Garrett get me there?......."

for a 13.5 in an Omni? my guess is you'd require far less than 250 whp, more like 190-200 whp, so 15 psi would probably do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by anokabball24 View Post
    Wow, so there is hope. What kind of fuel pressure are you running?
    Stock fuel pressure. Stock T2 fuel system other than injectors. Please note 100 octane.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Just remember one word-TUNING,
    Que? Hard to tune all stock and stock-ish parts?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

MP Stage II computer, 3 " exhaust, +20's, the rest stock... 12.85 @ 109.7 2600 lb GLHS.... (1.9X 60') 18 psi boost.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Garrett booster

Wow, this isn't going to be that costly afterall.

A few things to sort out before I start working.

1. How many of you suggest buying a set of forged pistons? This car will be my daily driver for the next 2-4 years. Car will see 20 psi TOPS, no more.

2. What kind of calibration will I need to run with +20's more than 14.7 psi?

3. Why don't I see a 3-bar map listed from any of you? I thought this was essential for boost over 14.7 psi. Are you guys using bleeds or what?
    Last edited by anokabball24; 10-02-2008 at 11:30 AM.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

For the power level you are looking at stock pistons do fine. As for over 14.7 psi... Zener diode to fool the map. Calibration... The glhs stage II is the best Ma Mopar ever came out with, it plays with a 2 bar map. You can get about 260whp out of the combo. You will spin the tires from a 60mph roll on..

I ran 12's for about $500 in parts (after learning the hard way). Fully reliable 30+ mpg on the highway.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anokabball24 View Post
    Wow, this isn't going to be that costly afterall.
    Yep, because your starting off with a light car,

Forged, if you have the money, why not? If your like most TM'ers, you'll get bored and want to go faster, lol, but stockers are fine.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHSKEN View Post
    For the power level you are looking at stock pistons do fine. As for over 14.7 psi... Zener diode to fool the map. Calibration... The glhs stage II is the best Ma Mopar ever came out with, it plays with a 2 bar map. You can get about 260whp out of the combo. You will spin the tires from a 60mph roll on..

I ran 12's for about $500 in parts (after learning the hard way). Fully reliable 30+ mpg on the highway.
    I have a GLHS Stage 2, and was running that in my car. However, I'm thinking about converting over to 88 electronics.

But if putting in the wiring harness from my donor '88 is a pain in the ---, I may just keep it an LM'd car...thoughts?

turbo addict

Im currently running robs turbonator smec cal, computer controlled boost to 20psi, 40+s injectors walbro 255lph pump, stock ic, head, block, 6 puc tu clutch. a555, open 2.5 dp and 2.5 swingvalve. Car with me and a full tank of fuel is 2900lbs.

I raced a 350z(with my radials on) and 2 extra people approx 350-400lbs (around 3300lbs) more and beat him, the 350z ran a 13.8 at the track. Id like to get to the track but its all closed up for the year oh and Im running about 80%e85 rest is 93oct, im not running full e85 since my injectors cant keep up
    Last edited by 1966 dart wagon; 10-02-2008 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHSKEN View Post

Doing the Map diode is a ghetto way to raise the boost above 14.7. We have calibrations and maps at our disposal, why use a "hack" to do it?

So you are saying that running more than 14.7psi w/o a 3-bar cal is a 'hack' way? Hmm... There are lots of fast 2.2L/2.5L turbo cars and 2.0L neon turbo cars (running n/a cals) that are 'hacked' then...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Hybrid booster

They were " hacking" cars way before anyone was making anything. I think ken was just telling what he had when he ran that time. I don't think I would consider any of his stuff hacked.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    So you are saying that running more than 14.7psi w/o a 3-bar cal is a 'hack' way? Hmm... There are lots of fast 2.2L/2.5L turbo cars and 2.0L neon turbo cars (running n/a cals) that are 'hacked' then...
    I don't deny that, I'm just saying we have better ways now. Not saying anything about the quality of your setup but if this guy is asking how to get to 250whp, telling him to clamp the map is probably not the best way for him.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by impuresoul2k3 View Post
    I don't deny that, I'm just saying we have better ways now. Not saying anything about the quality of your setup but if this guy is asking how to get to 250whp, telling him to clamp the map is probably not the best way for him.
    I'm fully aware of my possibilities. I got a sweet deal on an MP GLHS Stage 2 and would like to run that for a while and see how the car handles 14.7+ with a diode.

Eventually I'll convert to '87 electros, sell the MP logic module, and run a stage 5 FWDP cal or something.

As 'ghetto' as it is, I've run 27psi on the MP Stage 2, 2-bar (14.7psi) cal...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Garrett booster

For those of you who run the MP GLHS Stage 2, I'd like to know what kind of fuel pressure you guys run.

I think I'm going to keep the boost at 15 psi, and see how the car runs, and then go from there. However, I'm going to be SUPER rich with the +20's. I'm thinking back the base fuel pressure down to 45 psi at idle...see what happens, and then go from there.

Also, when you turned the boost up over 15 psi, did you have to play with the fuel pressure or did you run it at stock? I would think the +20's at stock fuel pressure should be good up to 20 psi, no?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast