Thread: Timing belt cover

Timing belt cover

Dumb question...

What is the consensus on driving a street car without the timing belt cover in place? Anyone have any negative things happen driving around without the cover on? Can squirrels get sucked up in there and cause the belt to jump off?

The TBI valve cover is so short, I think it looks dorkey with the cover on.

- Bill

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Timing belt cover

I did not see a whole lot of upper timing belt covers at SDAC this year. I personally have two cars that haven't had the upper cover on for years with no problems, and I have done work on a car that has gone without one for several years too.

I haven't run a lower cover on my omni for a couple years and I haven't had any trouble there either, but it is more of a fair weather car.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

The only time i would really be concerned about the covers is when driving in snow.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    The only time i would really be concerned about the covers is when driving in snow.
    I haven't had a timing cover problem in the snow, but I did remove the slash shield for the accessory drive belt in the shadow and I will say that snow or deep water can do a number on the belt causing it to slip for a few seconds. This is in very extreme conditions, but I have been stuck out in some wild weather a few times. Although I am not running any timing covers at all in our 600 which has yet to get back on the road, I am leaving all the splash shields in place.

I've run these cars in all different kinds of weather with the covers off. Never had a problem with the timing belt. I do agree with cordes about the splash pan though. Driving through big puddles/standing water without it can make the accessory belts slip until they dry off.

turbo addict

I don't have either timing belt cover on my Shelby Charger. I've never had a problem though I'd run a lower one on a daily driver. The only reason I see for the top one is safety around dummies.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I have had snow and slush sneak up into the timing belt area and re-freeze causing a timing belt jump.

Also had to drive into a snow bank to avoid an oncomming car. The engine compartment was packed with snow and the timing belt jumped.

I could just be unlucky tho.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Are you using the correct valve cover bolts? The TBI stamped valve covers have different bolts compared to cast/turbo covers.

I personally like running both covers. But I'm guilty of running without one or both covers because I've broken them. I've never had a problem.

later

Quote Originally Posted by turbo Scamp View Post
    Dumb question...

What is the consensus on driving a street car without the timing belt cover in place? Anyone have any negative things happen driving around without the cover on? Can squirrels get sucked up in there and cause the belt to jump off?

The TBI valve cover is so short, I think it looks dorkey with the cover on.

- Bill
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

I ran without a lower cover for the past several months. Didnt really feel to great about doing it, especially since at work I park in a gravel/semi muddy parking lot. but nothing happend.

upper cover, always had one installed. there not terribly hard to install or remove for maintence if necessary. someone way back when thought it might be a good idea to have a cover over that belt... I tend to agree with that thought

but I also have from the factory the nicer cast VC TBI's got in the end. so I dont understand the dorkyness of it ??

functionality & safety over "looks" anyday IMO.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    functionality & safety over "looks" anyday IMO.
    And you are driving a Turbo-MOPAR why?

I run a cover to keep the vacuum hoses away from the belt, but cut a hole so I can change my timing. This is my old cover, I cut another one which has a slightly larger perfectly round hole.

later Dick Westerhof

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skligmund View Post
    Oh, BURNlol,

In all seriousness, I don't run any but I do keep the lower splash shield on and all my hoses etc are routed, tied away from the timing belt. Never had an issue in rain, sleet, snow etc,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skligmund View Post
    Its not a T-M and never will be.

I am slowly gather the necessary parts to convert to MPFI with some minor tweaks to give a bit more power at the crank. thats all I ever intend to do with this car. @ 230k and counting she's a daily driver and nothing more

Thanks for the replies. I agree about the splash shields. I will probably keep the lower cover on for that reason. The TBI cam cover is shorter than the belt cover and I just think it looks kind of dorkey. I do think that the TBI cover is a better designed piece though.

- Bill

turbo addict

Looks fine to me?

Garrett booster

I dont have a top timing belt cover. I drive my csx-t daily and I havent had any issues without it on.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

i run all the covers. i too have had engine bays pack with snow when doing some avoidance excursions.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

I have my lower one off, but run the top one to keep vacuum lines away from the belt. I have a Grand Cherokee for bad weather.

turbo addict

I bought a 89 TC (16V masi motor) and found whenever I took a left hand corner I would lose a lot of oil. Tore down the belt side of the motor to find that a bolt that was used to hold down the upper timing cover wedged it's way between the timing belt and the aluminum housing. It then blew a hole about the size of a half dollar through the housing. Found the bolt in the bottom of the pan. I had a good look at rod #1. To answer your question, usually won't be a problem running without the cover, but sometimes stuff happens...
    Todd