Thread: Stock BOV question...

turbo addict

Stock BOV question...

I eliminated the needed vac lines and intercooled my minivan (t1) pretty much stock, as some know, however i forgot about the fact i blocked off the large port of the bov that comes out of the air box and had it duct taped off temporarily when i was trying to figured out an issue i was having with boost however today when i was adjusting my kickdown screw for the tranny i took the air box out to get to it of course and realized crap its stil blocked off, where did that go concidering i have a manual boost controller and the elimination as i said, my bov cav hose is hooked up to the TB small port but the large port was open (duct tape musta of course came off since my forgetfullness at the time i blocked it off lol. Does this just get capped off now due to what i did as said above or do i run a hose somewhere to it? orginally as im sure u guys know it went to the rubber turbo to intake hose port however its gone cus i intercooled, so now what? It doesnt seem to blow off per say either more like a turkey gobble lol. Which usually is a sign of a non-working BOV (whether it be not hooked up right or broken) or a sign of a BOV needing an adjustment. In my case though is this normal for the stock BOV's? or do i need to block this off or hook it up somwehere? if so where to now? do i need to put a port in my hardpiping for the IC?

boostaholic

Re: Stock BOV question...

Is it intercooled now?

If so the "main port" of the bov is suppose to be connected directly into the ic piping.
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

turbo addict

Yes i intercooled it about 4 weeks ago using a starquest intercooler of mine. And i know originally it went to the turbo to intake pipe but i forgot about it, now of course i figured it would have to go into the hardpiping for the IC however does it have to, to function right? It being in the IC piping would make it re-circulate correct? When in fact it would work as an actual BOV if i block that port off and just keep the small vac port hooked up to where i have it in the TB correct? See usually i would think the guys that Intercool the t1's typically use an aftermarket BOV which then allows for flange to the piping for it to bolt to, however i didnt do that for my stock BOV and would like to keep my stocker BOV as it is fine for using on 12 psi and no need for an aftermarket one. I am thinking maybe i can make a hole in the rubber coupler and epoxy a barb into it then route a piece of hose from it to the BOV for simplicity. I will do that tomorrow then lol.

boostaholic

yes it has to be somewhere between the turbo and the throttlebody, the whole point of a bov is to relieve pressure in the lines when the throttle blade closes, so the bov would be completely useless if you just run a vacuum source to it.
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

turbo addict

Yea thats obvious lol, pretty dumb thing to neglect on my part haha. funny thing is i realized where i messed up while i was typing my reply to you.