Thread: adding trunk pop for convertible shadow

adding trunk pop for convertible shadow

Anybody try adding an electronic trunk release on their shadow convertibles?

I've been looking at adding the electric release from a NewYorker. The problem is the lock cylinder is keyed to the release. My shadow has a rod from the lock cylinder to the manual release.

I'd prefer using OEM parts to make this work. I'm also going to run the release to my remote start to make my life easier.

As most shadow convertible shadow owners know, you can only get into the trunk with a key. I've already had to replace a tail light and lock cylinder because something inside the trunk shifted, breaking the rod off the lock.

I wasn't too upset because previous owner had installed 88 Sundance taillights and the car came with two keys for locks/ignition. So I enjoyed destroying the taillights and needed to rekey the car anyways.

I still like the idea of only having entry point into the trunk. I just need a fail safe to guard against lucking myself out.
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Hybrid booster

Re: adding trunk pop for convertible shadow

I was thinking about using a manual cable to pop the trunk lid instead of electric. I thought about using one from a Lancer or Lebaron GTS. I thought about hiding it under the rear seat.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

I have the equipment from my old civic for my trunk release. That's a weekender I havent started yet.
    Nick G. 1984 Dodge Rampage

Ya do know that the Shadow coupes and sedans have a cable release thing that would probably work just fine in the shadow drop top?

Otherwise, they sell aftermarket release kits that do the job. I had one around here but I don't know where it went to but it worked quite well on the Reliant wagon I used to have.

Hybrid booster

When I had my Shadow ragtop I used the parts from a JY Shadow to do this, pretty easy.

The aftermarket solenoid units work pretty good and are easy to install. I've done a few of them on my TD's. If not I'd bet many of the releases are close and another model would probably work, I've just never tried it.

Well, it probably would work, but wouldnt look right. There is a reason why convertibles don't have trunk releases on the floor, the frame rails are boxed in.

I could have added regular shadow release, as stated that isn't what I want. I want something electric so I can use it with remote start. Plus I get the added trunk security.

Along the way, I might run a hidden cable release similar to those used if you are trapped in the trunk. I'd probably run it right behind a stereo speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Ya do know that the Shadow coupes and sedans have a cable release thing that would probably work just fine in the shadow drop top?

Otherwise, they sell aftermarket release kits that do the job. I had one around here but I don't know where it went to but it worked quite well on the Reliant wagon I used to have.
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

turbo addict

what about a neon? the trunk release buttun is in the glove box.

The 2nd gen Neons have BCM controlled trunk release. It's not from button to the rear decklid release motor.