Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whos running an EVAC setup??

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

whos running an EVAC setup??

shout out to all those with evac setups!!!

me and my buddy in town are both running evac's, off of the valve cover with 1 way check valve to the exhaust, to take care of any possible crank case pressure (altho i still seem to be getting some?!??!)

anywho, both cars smoke pretty bad at WOT. white cloudy smoke. my motor is fairly fresh with only a few thousand K, and his was just built 1000k ago if that!!!

anywho im runnin a turbo valve cover, removed the baffle, and am running the TBI curtain, he was doing the same thing, but told me 2night that he swapped back to the stock turbo baffle, and it doesnt seem to smoke as bad.

both of us are experience some oil in the exhaust as well?? is this normal?? the oil is coming from the check valve no doubt!

any knowledge and ifo on this is greatly appreciated! i know theres a few of yous running this type of setup, just would like to know whats goin on, on your end and how its all setuP!

i dumped mine at the end of the downpipe, he dumped his even further back, somewhere after the cat would usually go

turbo addict

Re: whos running an EVAC setup??

are either of you using a breather/vent on the VC?

I was wondering the samething.

My friend hooked up his PCV to his exhaust. He was a few towns over when he noticed no oil pressure at idle. He made a quick trip to the parts to find the car was sucking so hard at idle. I put on a vented oil cap to solve the problem.

I'm getting ready hook the PCV to the exhaust too. But I drilled another hole by the cam gear and run a PCV filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    are either of you using a breather/vent on the VC?
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Hybrid booster

Cory, i have done the exhaust evac setup in my Scamp because i was running into problems of smoking after a hard run. i had just a K&N filter on the VC and i guessed it was not enought when i upped the boost psi. it was fine at 14-16psi but not at 20+ or so, i went the same way as you with the one way check valve in the downpipe with heater hose running off the VC nipple. i have not had any issues yet but i am still testing and tuning the car before i go to the track. i do remember reading something about using an extra filter on the VC like James said to do over at BM or on here, can't remember which. i haven't noticed anything wrong with mine but i may go the extra filter route if i do.

Hybrid booster

I'm running a set up like that on my hybrid 16v 2.5l. I connected it to the exhaust jsut after the DP. The issue I'm having with mine is that I think it's sucking to much cuz I actuly have oil in my exhaust.

Truth be told I think it's a combo of 2 issues. Lack of oil flow to the head/to much oil in the head and to much suction from the e-vac, so it's sucking in raw oil into the exhaust and smoking real bad in higher revs.

Any way to test how much vac it's producing at differnt revs?

Hybrid booster

i'm sure that there is a way to check what kind of vac is in the exhaust but i guess if you have a vac gauge and used a long piece of vac line hooked at the valve and drove the car looking at the gauge that would tell you. i had a simular setup on a 440 Roadrunner but with a different oil cap and breather and it worked. i have not had any issues yet with mine but like i said i'm still in the testing stages with this car, it's not really driven on the street. my problems with smoking was after i was running the car really hard and then it came back down to idle it would smoke untill i cut the car off. never saw any smoke while in boost but hard to see when trying to keep the car under control, lots of wheel spin. i may do some runs today while bringing up the boost even more in it and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by shelbyplaya View Post
    I'm running a set up like that on my hybrid 16v 2.5l. I connected it to the exhaust jsut after the DP. The issue I'm having with mine is that I think it's sucking to much cuz I actuly have oil in my exhaust.

Truth be told I think it's a combo of 2 issues. Lack of oil flow to the head/to much oil in the head and to much suction from the e-vac, so it's sucking in raw oil into the exhaust and smoking real bad in higher revs.

Any way to test how much vac it's producing at differnt revs?

YES, this seems like its exactly what is happening here, boths cars have exhaust SOAKED in oil from the check valve back!

neither car is running a filter!!! I thought the filter would just allow a place for the oil to escape b4 it made its way out the evac.
    im guessing this is where my TBI valve cover comes into play? use 1 nipple for the EVAC and the other nipple for a small air filter.

Ive never experienced the blow by problem driving normal under vac, it seems to start around 15-16 psi boost.

im just having a hard time tryin to figure out why its suckin all that oil out so bad, when that TBI cam curtain does a really awesome job of keeping that oil under control

Hybrid booster

how about adding a catchcan in line do you think that would help? that is another thing i read about using with the exhaust setup.

yes that has come across my mind as well, then the filter could be put on the top of the catch can

Hybrid booster

I think with these guyes problum a catch can and possably a restrictor might help as well.

My issue it looks like my turbo blew up when i lay into it

I would fill a catch can in no time at all.

turbo addict

i had a catch can on my car, a homemade one made from an water trap on a air compressor, i though it restricted to much, plus then i blew a oil pan gasket i believe. so i changed it to the 'gus' style, hose with steel wool in it, good to go, im also running a pcv valve on my oil cap too, into a bottle

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

The kits come with an oil/air separator for a reason (which nobody in the import/turbo world seems to use)

I use one on my front cover but not my rear cover (haven't taken the time to install one there).

3.0's have horrible problems with oil drainback. I filled the valley between my cylinder banks with oil when I ran 2 valves (one for each cover) because the oil wouldnt drain. I stopped using one of the valves and tee'd one valve into both covers and it stopped filling the valley with oil. I am running both valves again, but one routes to the top of my oil pan. it burns lots of oil now that I turned the boost up, so I need to add an oil/air seperator on that fitting I think and maybe a baffle over the hole in the pan.

Only 3 drainback holes in each side of the block and they are much smaller in diameter then a dime.

The reason why I suggest an oil/air seperator, is that you will waste a LOT of oil if you just throw it into a catch can.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post

neither car is running a filter!!! I thought the filter would just allow a place for the oil to escape b4 it made its way out the evac.

If the oil fume couldn't get out from the exhaust, it needs another exit. The filter would provide that exit.

I don't have smoking problem from my PCV setup.
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23885

Why would you have a vent before the exhaust. That would ruin the whole point of the system. It would suck air from the filter instead of from your motor.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    He is running an EVAC system not PCV anymore. Try googling that.

If you dont understand how a filter would make the EVAC worthless, dont give advice.

turbo addict

His EVAC is running so well that he's blowing smoke.

FYI, filter would not go between the engine and the EVAC system. You'd have to use a TBI valve cover to get the two nipples, one goes to the EVAC system, the other goes to the filter.

turbo addict

All I know is that people say it doesnt work and they get smoke and people say it works and get smoke, pick one

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    His EVAC is running so well that he's blowing smoke.

FYI, filter would not go between the engine and the EVAC system. You'd have to use a TBI valve cover to get the two nipples, one goes to the EVAC system, the other goes to the filter.

ok, that actually makes some sence there! btw that PCV link was good info!

so my car is scavenging the crank case pressure so well that its actually sucking out oil along with it??
    the filter thing is starting to make more sense now, the evac would still work, the filter just allowing as a vent, which the evac would be sucking air through the filter and then back out the evac with the rest of the crankcase pressure???

I do have a TBI valve cover, not the prettiest looking thing, but will definately have to check it out and see if that works.

my friend went a different route. he hacked up a valve cover, to add 2 fiilters, one in place of the oil cap, and the other at the stock turbo nipple, and he is going to T them in line then out to the 1 way check valve. I thought he went a little extreme but hey whatever LOL its his mess

If somebody could "T" into their EVAC line and run a vacuum gauge inside the car, it would be a big help. If all this smoking is caused by an excess of vacuum, then I have an idea that might provide a solution.

Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast