Thread: which to do first? paint/mechanical

Hybrid booster

which to do first? paint/mechanical

I am getting ready to start a 2.4L build for my 88 Daytona. The car got hit pretty good with hail a while back and needs the bodywork done too. Which would you do first? Most of the interior is pulled and the engine is already out. Car will be going from white to a 2 tone black/white like in my old pic of it:

Also would you paint the engine compartment all white or 2 tone it as well?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: whic to do first? paint/mechanical

From what I have seen, most of us get them running fast before we get them looking fast.

Well if the car is already stripped out of drivetrain and interior. I would send it off to paint first. This way the engine can be as shine as the outside.

later
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Personally I'd just paint the engine bay and wait until you're completely done with the mechanical work before painting the rest of the car. The first time you drag the button on your jeans across the paint while leaning over the fender, or accidentally open the door into a jack handle, you'll wish you would have.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    Personally I'd just paint the engine bay and wait until you're completely done with the mechanical work before painting the rest of the car. The first time you drag the button on your jeans across the paint while leaning over the fender, or accidentally open the door into a jack handle, you'll wish you would have.
    heed this man's advice here.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

+1 to this

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

+3 unless your really carefull, like the 2.4 Shadow in another thread. He painted it all then put the engine back in.

I would keep it all white, easier I would think.

I was looking for the Daytona in the pic, at first glance, looks likes a Supra,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    +3 unless your really carefull, like the 2.4 Shadow in another thread. He painted it all then put the engine back in.
    I could be as careful as I possibly could and something would still happen. That's just my luck I guess.

It's like when the big moth that you don't know is in the garage drags itself clear down the hood before it dies right after you just got done shooting the last coat. That kind of crap always happens to me!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post

I was looking for the Daytona in the pic, at first glance, looks likes a Supra,
    LOL I have heard that numerous times. I really like the 2 tone because it helps blend in all of the t top trim.

turbo addict

Re: which to do first? paint/mechanical

I also like the 2 tone look very nice, ive always liked white cars with black hoods though.

Engine then bodywork, that way you can mock up everything and if you decided to paint the engine bay all the install has been done(holes drilled and whatnot)

Hybrid booster

I'm also in the "paint the engine bay" camp. Exactly what I'm doing, myself.