Thread: CSX Style grills -Interest?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Darkapollo's Avatar

CSX Style grills -Interest?

I have a friend who does fiberglass work and I asked him if he could take my 87 CSX grill and make one that will work with the 89 style hood and lights.
    I just got it back yesterday and it looks amazing.

So I was wondering if there would be any interest in a CSX style grill? I know a lot of people who want the look are just cutting up the mesh grills but IMHO it looks NOTHING like a CSX grill.

Im just gauging interest right now to see if it would be worth my time and his to make a mould and put a few together.

Re: CSX Style grills -Interest?

you planning on making them for other years or just '89?

I have an actual 87 CSX grill that would be just a 'mould it, glass it, and go deal'
    Since my car is an 89 I wanted to make an 87 style grill that would work with the composite head lights.
    If you want an 87 (bucket lights and curved hood) style I can ask him about repro-ing that too.
    The 87 will fit 87/88 and the 89 hybrid will fit 89+

--Edit--
    I have pics of the 89 vs the 87 but no place to upload them.
    Last edited by Darkapollo; 09-10-2008 at 09:18 AM.

That's cool. Yeah, if you have some made to fit the '87/'88, count me in for 1. What kind of price range are we talking?

Probably around $200 to modify a stock grill and add the CSX center section, for all mats and labor.. but dont quote me on that exactly. If you want one scratch made it will probably be more.
    I gave him one of my old cross bar grills from a 91 so he wouldnt have to fab the light brackets. I will talk to him today to see if he is willing to mould the 87 and reproduce it and what labor wise it would cost.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

So is this basically going to be a reproduction of the '89 CSX grill? If not, what is different from the '89 CSX grill?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    So is this basically going to be a reproduction of the '89 CSX grill? If not, what is different from the '89 CSX grill?
    Yea.....if it was a real nice repro I might be interested (obviously with cost as a factor).

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shelbyconcepts's Avatar

Cindy used to have the 89 ones....Repop....I'm not sure if she's still doing them though.....

It is not an EXACT 89 reproduction. It is more like a hybrid 87 CSX grill with 89 head light brackets.
    I talked to him today and he said that he could repro the 87 style for around 300 (all in labor about 4hrs worth) but he will give me a definate when he tries.

As you can see its only in primer. He cut out the center of the 89 grill and grafted the 87 center onto it.
    The opening is SLIGHTLY smaller and not as centered then the true 89, but its darn close.
    I didnt have a good enough picture of an 89 grill for him to compare to, Im sure he could open it up a bit with a better idea of what it should be like.
    If I could get my hands on a REAL 89 grill he could repro that as well.
    Just and FYI, I wouldnt be making one red-cent off of any transaction. Im doing it cause he does good CLEAN work.
    Last edited by Darkapollo; 09-10-2008 at 10:44 PM.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Darkapollo View Post
    It is not an EXACT 89 reproduction. It is more like a hybrid 87 CSX grill with 89 head light brackets.
    I talked to him today and he said that he could repro the 87 style for around 300 (all in labor about 4hrs worth) but he will give me a definate when he tries.

As you can see its only in primer. He cut out the center of the 89 grill and grafted the 87 center onto it.
    The opening is SLIGHTLY smaller and not as centered then the true 89, but its darn close.
    I didnt have a good enough picture of an 89 grill for him to compare to, Im sure he could open it up a bit with a better idea of what it should be like.
    If I could get my hands on a REAL 89 grill he could repro that as well.
    Just and FYI, I wouldnt be making one red-cent off of any transaction. Im doing it cause he does good CLEAN work.

Isn't the 89 grill esscentally the 87/88 grill modded to accept the composit headlamps?

Personally, I think your money/time ahead if you're going to do this, just to redo the orginals exactly as they are as opposed to try and re-invent the wheel...

The real 89 CSX grille is just the center section. The 89 CSX uses a Sundance grille with the CSX specific center section.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Garrett booster

I really need an 87/88 CSX repro grill

Quote Originally Posted by TopDollar69 View Post
    The real 89 CSX grille is just the center section. The 89 CSX uses a Sundance grille with the CSX specific center section.
    Im aware that they use the bolt-in center section.. However since I dont have access to one of those I made a hybrid from the 87 grill that I have so it accepts the composite head lights. (I did NOT destroy the REAL CSX Grill that I have... for that would be a sin )

Im trying to get the photos I have on my phone uploaded but nextel is being a PITA...

There is a LITTLE sag on the top because the grill I gave him to modify was missing the top so he couldnt get it exactly flush with the hood.
    Last edited by Darkapollo; 09-12-2008 at 10:39 PM.

turbo addict

Im aware that they use the bolt-in center section.. However since I dont have access to one...

You do now.....

Heh... you REALLY dont want to let me borrow that.. the release agent for the fiberglass eats paint ;-)
    However... I can talk to Doug to see if there is a way to spare the paint.. As you can see my 87 grill now looks like it DOES belong on a Pbody with the paint peeling off.
    Last edited by Darkapollo; 09-12-2008 at 10:28 PM.

turbo addict

Heh... you REALLY dont want to let me borrow that.. the release agent for the fiberglass eats paint ;-)
    Well thats not very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by CSXRT4 View Post
    I really need an 87/88 CSX repro grill
    Ill talk to him about making a repro to get an exact price for you