Thread: Removing Rear shocks/springs from Omni

Removing Rear shocks/springs from Omni

never done it, don't know what exactly is the right way or wrong way.

looking for some guidance.

Thanks in advance!

Hybrid booster

Re: Removing Rear shocks/springs from Omni

The wrong way:

1. Jack the car up and put it on jackstands. Remove the rear tires.

2. Put a chain from the pass side of the trailing arm to a tree, for support.

3. Place a second chain, preferably very long, around the drivers side rear shock/spring assy.

4. Back up your truck or other vehicle to the Omni, perpendicular to the Omni, and hook the chain to the rear.

5. Proceed forward rapidly.

6. Wait for the loud snap, then come to a complete stop. Remove the V-shaped shock/spring assy from the chain.

7. Take the tree support chain from the pass side, move to the drivers side, and repeat process on the pass side.

The correct way.

1. Jack up the car by the body, so the trailing arm assy can hang.

2. Put a jack under the trailing arm. Place the jack under the furthest back point of the trailing arm, like the side leg part, on the drivers side. Jack it up just enough to put tension on it.

3. Go inside the car and remove the nut.

4. Lower the jack slowly, until you can see the top of the strut shaft go down through the hole in the strut tower.

5. Remove the lower bolt.

6. Go to pass side and repeat.

It's about the easiest job on the planet. It shouldn't take you more then one hour to do the ENTIRE job, from start to finish, removing the old ones and replacing with new.

Thanks! There isn't any replacing, i'm parting it out lol.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by moparfwdsleeper View Post
    Thanks! There isn't any replacing, i'm parting it out lol.
    If you're parting a turbo car(GLHT), you may want to see this thread if you haven't aleady.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28966

It is a N/A GLH, was going turbo. I have my 87 CSX that needs more attention and i'm more of a P-body guy then an L-body one. I tried to sale it, no interest in it. So im killing off the #1 ranked Omni on Cardomain lol.

I just got done getting the rear shocks/springs off. Thank you, couldn't have done it without your instructions

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by moparfwdsleeper View Post
    It is a N/A GLH, was going turbo. I have my 87 CSX that needs more attention and i'm more of a P-body guy then an L-body one. I tried to sale it, no interest in it. So im killing off the #1 ranked Omni on Cardomain lol.
    There's still a lot of good parts I'd keep. Basically, everything on the list in the other thread, except for the turbo specific parts, which obviously your car doesn't have.

Yeah, I hear ya about the car not selling, so having to part it. These cars, along with many other of their era, are becoming more valuable in parts, if the car is not in prestine condition. I buy and sell a TON of GMC Syclone and Typhoon parts. LOL, I actually spend more time of their board then I do this one, and I don't even own a Sy/Ty. Same thing there. An average nice running 80k mile Typhoon will sell for around $10k. At the same time, they are worth about $8k in parts. So if a truck needs work, and/or has rust, it's worth more in parts. A friend of mine bought a Typhoon from a small local used car lot. It was rusty, and had 180k miles. He bought it and drove it home for $3900, and parted it out for about $7600. The Syclone and Typhoon cladding, to ground effects, and worth STUPID money. A full set of Ty cladding in good used condition will sell for $5k.