Thread: HP gain from balance shaft removal

turbo addict

HP gain from balance shaft removal

I'm curious as to around how much HP will be gained in the 4500rpm to 6500rpm area on a 2.2 by removing the balance shafts? I'm considering doing so on my VNT Shadow. I'm looking to add enough HP to run solid 8's in the 1/8th on street tires. So far I've run a best of 9.63 @ 78.11 mph w/2.346 60' spinning ALOT!. I've got alot I can do to get more out of this car because the combo is 100% stock except for a T2 intercooler. I recently put some 225/60/15 tires on. That made a big improvement in traction. I'm also considering an ECM upgrade from FWP along with some alky injection. Anyone have any dealings on a VNT from the mods mentioned vs. stock?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: HP gain from balance shaft removal

I cannot imagine too much gain from BS removal, maybe 5hp at high rpm?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

When I pulled the BS assembly out of my 2.5 SL, I noticed it most for light throttle driveability. The motor just made more power off boost in easy stop and go suff. I'm sure the same power gain was there during boost it just got lost in the sauce when the motor was making 200+

I've got two good buds with modded VNT's, they are HARD to control boost once you start changing componants. One guy gave up and just converted away from the VNT. We still cant get his boost control right on his CSX

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    When I pulled the BS assembly out of my 2.5 SL, I noticed it most for light throttle driveability. The motor just made more power off boost in easy stop and go suff. I'm sure the same power gain was there during boost it just got lost in the sauce when the motor was making 200+

I've got two good buds with modded VNT's, they are HARD to control boost once you start changing componants. One guy gave up and just converted away from the VNT. We still cant get his boost control right on his CSX

I'm gonna keep it a VNT, that's what I like about this car. If boost gets uncontrollable, I'll add an external wastegate. The boost already starts climbing after 5500rpm and hits around 17psi by 6200rpm and above now. Makes for a good top end charge, along with a couple of other tuning mods I have done to help the HP up in the revs. Pulls hard all the way to the stock rev limit.
    Last edited by glhs875; 09-07-2008 at 01:26 PM.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    I cannot imagine too much gain from BS removal, maybe 5hp at high rpm?

I didn't expect it to be much. But if it's 5 to 10hp in the upper revs, that could add up to a tenth reduction in ET and around 1mph improvement. Every little bit helps.

I'm hoping someone has some proving numbers either from a dyno or from results at the track.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Yep, every little bit helps... Since it is a 2.2L, it shouldn't need the BS?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

boostaholic

I removed the ones from my 2.5 although I never drove it with them.The engine was balanced at the time it was built and every thing is well.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I don't think anyone has ever done a true back to back but I would say maybe 5 hp and the engine will rev quicker. 2.2 won't buzz like a 2.5 does when you remove them but if its balanced, not needed for sure. Just remember to get a baffled pan or use the shorter oil pan so you don't starve the engine of oil on accel or hard cornering.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info