Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help. New to the Dodge/Chrysler scene

Garrett booster

Question Need some help. New to the Dodge/Chrysler scene

Well let me start by saying hello to everyone.. I am new to the Mopar world. I have been looking on this forum for about 2 months now. I just recently got a 84 laser. When I got the car it had a blown head gasket, well the guy i got it from attempted to replace it and never finish putting it back together, so i got the privilege of getting to figure this thing out. monkey+football= YOU KNOW.. well I am almost done with her and i still have most of my hair. Well now for the question....

Will a SRT4 engine fit into this car? I have a chance to get one and was wondering if i could put into this beautiful beast..

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Need some help. New to the Dodge/Chrysler scene

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, a 2.4L will fit in a G-Body but you'll have to get a little creative

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Welcome to the forum. I think a little creative might be an understatement here. IMO it would be more fun to get the 8v running first and then move up from there. Jumping into a full 2.4 swap would be a doozie of a first project.

Goos point, the 8V has a TON of potential, and the 2.4L swap is quite a bit of work unless you like weldng and machining parts

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Garrett booster

Well I appreciate all the info. This is def not my first project car lol. I have been in the car seen for about 10 years, I actually went to school and I am a certified mechanic. As for the 2.4 I am not to sure that i want to do a lot of cutting and pasting on the car lol.. Well then I guess that means I have a 2.4 srt4 engine for sale.. ha ha.. I was also looking at getting a common block for her and starting to do a good build on that. any info? or anyone want to trade for a common block?

The pre common blocks will still make a good amount of power. I don't know why there have been so many new folks on the board looking to get rid of them right off the bat lately.

Garrett booster

well from what i was told the 84 T1 block is only good to around about 250 to 300 HP, I am going to get that one up and moving and running good. but I want something that i can make big horse power out of.. and I read that the common block was good to 500+. I know that is a big number to hit. but I have had some issues with some of the local import clubs here in town that got mad because i beat them on my GSXR and so they said that I cant build anything fast, I have to buy it.. HA HA HA HA...

'84 has decent rods in it so I would say good to over 300whp

What year and condition SRT4 motor? I might have a common block I could spare as trade or partial trade depending on how much stuff you need with it? Or how much if teh SRT4 motor is just for sale?

How far are you from Chicago?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Garrett booster

well the srt motor needs to be rebuilt, the black was looked over by a well known engine builder here in town and said that it just needs to be bored a little and it would be good. It is just the block the head was stolen from my buddies garage. I am a ways from Chicago. I live in Alamogordo NM. As for the common block i just basically want the block, maybe bottom end and head. but not a must

Garrett booster

O and does anyone know were I could find some good detailed pics of the engine pay for this car. I am having issues trying to find were all my parts are supposed to go. I am a better visual learner then audio.

NM is a ways to ship stuff... It would be easier/cheaper to find a j-yard motor near you... and '89+ turbo motor will be a common block 2.2L or 2.5L... 2.2L T@ and T4 cars have better rods and cranks than the 2.5L but the cast 2.5L crank is still good for 500whp

Daytona 2.2L pictures?

Theer are pics posted all over the forum, but here is one of my car the day I got it January 1994

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Garrett booster

Thanks.. Nice pic but don't really help any. I need some that are down and dirty. the back and the front of the engine.. I have so many wires and sensors that have been taken off that it is going to be fun finding what goes where..

As for finding anything in the J-yard around here is like pulling teeth from a bum on crack... they ain't got any.. I guess my search continues though..

Sounds like you need to see if you can get a factory service manual, they come up for sale now and then... or just post pictures of what you have and I'm sure we can let you know what it is and where it goes

Bummer on the j-yard situation... someones gotta have a common block not too far from you?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Garrett booster

Well does anyone have or want to get rid of one.. let me know how much. I am going to try and get most of the stuff worked out and hopefully running tonight.. the main thing that i am concerned about is the oil passages to the turbo. I don't want to mess anything up by not haven a oil line hooked up and what not.. then there is always the fun times of vacuum lines.. Who would have thought that dirt devil would play such a role in building cars LOL..

The oil line comes off the front of the block and runs up past the drivers side of the head back to the turbo. It runs right next to the coolant return from the turbo as it runs along the head. The coolant return enters the head where the rad hose attaches to it. The oil feed is the smaller one. Hope that helped.

Garrett booster

Thank you. it helped alot because i know something went there... But i was not sure what and were it went to.. I worked on the car all day yesterday and it is now about 95% complete.. Still need a factory manual if anyone knows were i can find one.. thank you

Hybrid booster

if you can't get a factory service manual at least get a repair manual from the parts store at least and that can help. at least you'll have all the specs for the bolts and such plus a lot of them have vac. line diagrams, anything that can help you.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I can take some pics when if needed. LMK what you want.

Check out www.thedodgegarage.com for some vacuum pics and other assorted pics.

If your putting this together, I strongly recommend getting some new turbo lines from our vendors, either TU or FWD, it will make the job so much easier and safer too,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Thanks. I do have a book I got at a local parts store. but man this thing leaves out alot about my car.. It is a general book so it is about all the cars with a 2.2. I am wanting something specific for my car. I have also been thinking about getting rid of the canister and some un wanted/ needed parts. I already got rid of the ac and all that jazz. Does anyone have a simple way to just run the necessary vac lines and get rid of the rest?

As for the pics.. Thank you I will let you know.

I did get rid of the heater core and just looped the lines together. withh this be fine or has anyone had any trouble?

If you do a search for vacuum block you will find a wealth of info with pics. For some reason I can't find the thread I am thinking of right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast