Thread: SBEC chip choices

boostaholic

SBEC chip choices

What are some choices of chips for a socketed sbec? Or is there only one type of chip I can use?
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

Hybrid booster

Re: SBEC chip choices

These are the chips I use
    No fun cars any more :(

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    These are the chips I use
    Are these the only chips available, or are there any electronically erasable chips that would work?
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

I may be wrong, but I thought that the stock chip could be flashed, but that the problem was getting a 16V (?) signal/power to erase it? Sorry if I'm off base, I imagine that if it was easy (or possible) we'd be doing it, but it's one of those nagging thoughts that I have when I can't ask the question, so I'm doing it now! LOL

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    I may be wrong, but I thought that the stock chip could be flashed, but that the problem was getting a 16V (?) signal/power to erase it? Sorry if I'm off base, I imagine that if it was easy (or possible) we'd be doing it, but it's one of those nagging thoughts that I have when I can't ask the question, so I'm doing it now! LOL

Mike
    I have read that flashing an SBEC is possible, and I seem to recall that someone has accomplished this on the bench, but I have not heard of this being put into practical use on a vehicle yet.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I have read that flashing an SBEC is possible, and I seem to recall that someone has accomplished this on the bench, but I have not heard of this being put into practical use on a vehicle yet.
    Yeah, I think it was the need for a higher voltage (might have been more than 16V) than what the car itself could generate, which would make sense, don't want the car to be capable of giving itself a lobotomy! But, I would think we could figure out a transformer or something to step-up the voltage in order to do it on the car, but it would add some complication, which may be why it's not being done, might just be easier to swap or use an ostrich. This is all assuming that it's possible and/or the way Chryco does/did it.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Yeah, I think it was the need for a higher voltage (might have been more than 16V) than what the car itself could generate, which would make sense, don't want the car to be capable of giving itself a lobotomy! But, I would think we could figure out a transformer or something to step-up the voltage in order to do it on the car, but it would add some complication, which may be why it's not being done, might just be easier to swap or use an ostrich. This is all assuming that it's possible and/or the way Chryco does/did it.

Mike
    That is interesting. I don't recall reading anything about the voltage. It would make sense that they would do something like that, but maybe they had something simpler that they used also? doing it in car with minimal tools would have been very convenient during the testing phase.

Mitsu booster

I have a question for you guys. can i use a 87c257-10F1 for my sbec from a mex 90 shadow? It is the only chip I could find here. Or will I have issues with the access speed?

Thanks