Thread: l body fuel tank

Hybrid booster

l body fuel tank

i took the fuel tank out of my 89 omni a couple weeks ago to drain the old gas out of it . dump out the gas and hear a big clunk sound in the tank . so i reach inside and fell a peice of plactis . i take it thats the baffle ? well its just in there rollin around not hooked to anything . will this hurt anything ?sould i cut it out or leave it there . cash is tight right now and i cant afford to get a new tank . if anyone has one close to martinsburg w.v for cheap let me know.

billy

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: l body fuel tank

That happened to my brother's CSX when he removed the fuel tank for the first time. We were barely able to snap the plastic bowl back down to the 'ears' on the bottom of the tank and it's been fine since. Not sure if it's possible on an L-body though.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    i took the fuel tank out of my 89 omni a couple weeks ago to drain the old gas out of it . dump out the gas and hear a big clunk sound in the tank . so i reach inside and fell a peice of plactis . i take it thats the baffle ? well its just in there rollin around not hooked to anything . will this hurt anything ?sould i cut it out or leave it there . cash is tight right now and i cant afford to get a new tank . if anyone has one close to martinsburg w.v for cheap let me know.

billy
    If you don't ahve the baffle keep the fuel above 1/4 tank or you will have a fuel cutout every time you go around a corner.

I experienced this with a friends carb to tbi conversion it would be a bigger problem with a turbo if you are really into it and the fuel pump sucks air.

New aftermarket tanks are about $90 on ebay. I have an omni aftermarket tank in my GLHS since the old one had some rust in it.

-Rich

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

You should be able to just put the sock back in the middle of the baffle pan and (while holding downward pressure on the assembly) slide the pump and baffle back in and the fuel sender/pick-up will trap it in place. I had to do the same thing in my GLHS. It's not a big deal.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

im gonna see if i can snap it back in . i didnt look to see if there was anything to hold it down . if not ill try what zin said . i really dont wanna blow this motor up do to fuel cut out . i have to much money in it for that . ill check those aftermarket tanks out .i didnt think they was that cheap .thanks guys

billy