Thread: free* not-running 87 GLHS in Cecil Cty MD?

Garrett booster

free* not-running 87 GLHS in Cecil Cty MD?

Would anyone have any interest in a free non-running GLHS in Elkton, MD?

Car is an 87 GLHS. Drivetrain is out, front suspension is not on the car. Would need either a front suspension bolted up to tow dolly it, or dragged onto a flatbed.

Car was from Illinois so the rear hatch is pretty much gone, some rust in the quarters, floorpans, door bottoms. Car has been underwater, so some interior might be shot, but seat cloth actually looks pretty decent. The interior was in VERY nice shape before the flood. Most of the interior was disassembled and allowed to dry after the flood.

Car has all original body parts, including the lower nose. Does have a clean NJ title would be signed over. Car was titled as an 87 Shelby
    Car currently has 2 pizza wheels on the rear. I have the matching 2 other pizza wheels I would consider including, or might have other wheels I could put on the car if new owner didn't car about the wheels.

Now price was listed as free* because if someone was able to pick up the car from it's current location, they could have the shell and the parts listed above for free.

I was planning to keep the car and eventually restore it, however code enforcement in that area is requiring the vehicles to be moved. I am researching any potentual methods for me to move the car to my current location, but if that is not possible I'd rather see the car go to a enthusiast than be scrapped.

If someone took the car as is I would then be willing to make a VERY reasonable deal on any/all the other parts I have from/for the car: (all the below parts were NOT in the car when it was flooded so they are all in good/original shape) I might even consider throwing some of them in to encourage somebody to take the car.

original Shelby dash plaque car is number 725.
    original engine block and transmission.
    (Transmission has the stiffening plate that goes under 5th gear, as well as the external chromoly case girdle)
    Mopar Performance windage tray oil pan
    original Shelby valve cover had a corner cracked off, was welded and re powdercoated crinkle black.
    Original Koni's (probably need rebuilt)
    MP L-body springs (might have original springs as well..)
    Original Centurian II wheels
    Original 2-piece intake manifold and fuel rail
    new replacement original style leather Momo shift knob
    Shelby stage 2 computer, should have the original Shelby computer somewhere.
    Also have alot of original Shelby literature I might be willing to part with some of.
    4 original Optional Shelby floormats. These are in ~decent condition for being from 1987. GLHS's did not come with the floormats. They were purchase by the original owner from Shelby Performance.

probably have more random parts as well. I have a G head I had home-ported for the car. Found out after porting it needs 1 exhaust stud hole repaired. Also have a ported SOHC exhaust manifold which has been coated in POR 15's high temp silver. I believe I also have the original Turbo around somewhere.

All exchanges of the above parts would have to take place at a later arranged time. Purpose of giving the car away would be to avoid have to take time off and drive fly down to that area. My father will be moving a different vehicle from that location in the near future, so he could possibly meet up with the person picking up the car. He probably would not know where all of the above parts are currently, so again I would arrange to meet up with the new owner to exchange any other parts.

Anyway email (pie*tasting@hot*mail.com) (remove the stars first) or PM me if interested. I may update this thread as I find out more information.

Thanks,
    Dave Robinson

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: free* not-running 87 GLHS in Cecil Cty MD?

Interesting offer, I'd be interested if closer... got pics? When did it come out east from IL?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Mitsu booster

PM Sent

Garrett booster

Sending this reply to all who inquired and will post in on TD and TM forums:

I was honestly surprised by the response I received. A free GLHS is one thing, but the amount of work that will go into this car is certainly significant so I wasn't expecting quite the interest.

The problem is I live in Buffalo, the car is in Elkton MD. Depending on how much time the township gives me to have the car removed and whether I am able to make the trip, arrange transport/storage during that time is the deciding factor as to whether I let the car go or not. Having dealt with this issue before in a different area, some townships can be hardasses with time limits and hefty fines.

The idea is if I am not able to make the trip during the grace period they give me then I would prefer to let the car go to somebody who would do something with it than see it scrapped. As I originally stated the extra parts would have to be exchanged at a later time when I am in the area, so that would not work for a couple people who contacted me from further distances hoping to get everything at once. I do have at least 2 responses from interested individuals who are quite close to the area, so that they could pick up the shell if I decide to let the car go and then I could also meet up with them later to exchange any other parts.

I have found out that the township will give us a month to have the car off the premises, so that gives me a little time to see what I can come up with as far as attempting to recover the vehicle myself.

I will post at least one update with the final status and of course would be contacting one or both of the local parties if looks like I'm going to have to let it go.

Thanks for your inquiries,
    Dave Robinson

Lucky bastard who ever gets it....

turbo addict

And to think I wanted an 87 GLHS at the beginning of the summer. Being as its a numbered car it should be saved at all costs I would think. Heck if someone here in IL gets this car I'd make a good offer on it next summer.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

You know im actually thinking if your willing to toss everything for the car with it. I would be willing to spend the 800 it would cost to bring back to utah....I dont need the G head or floow mats unless you anted to toss in a pair of mats? I have a 287 G head thats fresh with less than 3k on it...

If thats an option pm me and let me know.
    Thanx

turbo addict

Its worth that 800 you know it. Most of the time and S like this goes for 1k but sits forever till the right buyer comes along..
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Well I know thats why I said if he throws everything in I will get it so it will be saved and restored since im in the auto class at college now. I would get a grade and my car fixed, And it would make up for me being screwed out of my glhs and my csx's I sold that people decided to not pay the full amounts(1100 for my 87 csx only got 500, 87 glhs deal was 800 plus a 90 VNT I got 400 and the car,) but I guess thats my fault for taking half and expecting them 2 be Honorable and such... Lesson learned lol... But ya let me know if you are willing to do that and Ill make arrangements to haul it down here.

Thanks

Garrett booster

Car has been saved.

Update:

Sorry it's taken so long to update this. As I posted earlier the township was at least semi-reasonable and gave us 30 days to get the cars (GLHS + another FWD Mopar) out of there.

Other than living in Buffalo, my other problem was that my Dakota was apart so therefore in no condition to tow anything in a 1000 mile + round trip, and of course that the GLHS had no front suspension and thus couldn't be towed on a dolly. The other FWD Mopar than had to be moved was on wheels and so my father would be able to remove that car from the property with his own truck and a rental dolly.

Well after about 2+ weeks of working on my Dak every spare second I left Buffalo around 9pm on 9/25, and got back to Buffalo around 3am on the 28th along with my Dad in his truck each towing one of the cars, and both truck beds full of random other FWD Mopar crap that was also beign stored in random places on their property.

Anyway still working on clearing out my garage so I can fit the GLHS inside, and the Dak will have to stay outside this winter, but all my FWD Mopars are now off my 'rents property safely stored on my own where I shouldn't have any problems with local law enforcement.

All told besides the hellish ~3 weeks, it cost me about $250 in gas and tolls and another $150 for the trailer rental, and of course the generosity of my father who transported the other FWD Mopar up here for my brother.

Anyway I apologize to anyone who was hoping to get a free/cheap GLHS, but in case anyone was curious I would have needed at least $500 for the extra parts, and of course the car does have sentimental value which is why I worked my a$$ off to try to retain it myself.

I do want to thank everyone who offered, and even some like Matt Green who offered to help me store the car temporarily, but having been through this with enough times in the past and now a fair distance away from that region I knew I needed a more permanent solution which either meant getting the car up here or letting it go. With luck, $$ and a crap load of work I was able to rescue it myself and with a crap load more $$ and work, will eventually restore it.

Anyway thanks again everyone.

Garrett booster

Good to see the car will live.

Hybrid booster

Glad to here you were able to keep the car. Hope you get to work on it sooon.
    KO, 86 T&C Turbo II 89 Daytona Shelby 84 Stingray SVB165SS