Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: upgrading stock 2.2 tI

Mitsu booster

Question upgrading stock 2.2 tI

Hey people. i'm looking to rebuild a stock 2.2 TI 5spd. its in an 88 csx-t. without going the TII route for now, what can I do and what parts are best to upgrade the drive train and suspension? I do have a stock "90" 2.2 turbo(orgin unknown) to use as parts, if any are better then the "88". any and all help is greatly helpfull. thanks rick

Re: upgrading stock 2.2 tI

the 90 block is going to be stronger but if you want to keep it as a 2.2 I would just keep the 88 block. Are you wanting to put a bigger turbo on it. what are you wanting to do?

you should also check out www.thedodgegarage.com

Mitsu booster

wanting to upgrade whatever it takes to give it more HP without going overboard. i know i need to get an intercooler, best type?. my turbo is froze up so if i have to get a new one would next size up be good. i'll port the heads both sides to gasket match. bore it out to what ever it takes to clean it up. will put in new injectors, size? boost gate size? cam size? will get new springs, what to keep same size valves for now.

Mitsu booster

if the 90 block is stronger i'll start with that. does the 90 block have a forged crank?

Hybrid booster

Replace the turbo, valve springs should be fine unless you change cams. Is your 88 a common block? If it is there shouldn't be much difference in it and the 90. 90 could be a 2.5l though. Intercool it, 255 fuel pump, +20 or +40 on the injectors, and a new computer with more boost. Good luck!

I went the hybrid route on my turbo... i kinda wish I just put a true super60 on it. for an IC just put what ever you can fit in there. I ended up with an 87csx rad/ic combo and IMO that should be fine for a daily driver that will see the track once or twice nxt year.

If the 2.2 in your csxt is running well then I would just replace the head with a ported one, stick a ported coated exhaust mani, and a super 60 turbo.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Before any advice can be given, list your goals, IE power goals? how much money do you want to spend, street, strip, both? 1/4 mile times if strip?

If you don't do that, all your doing it spinning your wheels and you will waste money.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

A men to that one brotha.. I am shooting for the 300 hp mark. I want to see what this block can do.

Well if 300hp is your mark then the 90 block is the way to go.

For a turbo a lot of people here will say for you to go with a hybrid super 50 trim with stg 2 or stg3 turbine housing. That's great for a race only car but if this is also a street car then I would recommend a 40 trim or a 46trim with a stg1 .63 turbine housing. The stg1 flows plenty and it will keep your turbo lag to a minimum. Same with the 40trim or 46 trim.

Whats your budget?
    Is this primarily a street can that will go to the track a few times a year or is it a car that will hardly ever be on the street?

Any year block will be able to take 300 whp but a CB is a better building block, pun intended, lol. 89 and up are the blocks of choice.

There is no lag with a 50 trim,

As for 300, is that max for short bursts or all out as a S60 or 40/46 trim will be at the end of there relative tables.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

Well first off I dont mean to be thread stealer.. Sorry to whoever started this one.. But I am looking at around 300 all out.. The reaserch I have done has informed me that the block I have is good for around 300hp. So basically I am going to try and pull as much out of her to see what she can deliver. I am already planning on doing a build from the bare block all the way up. So that will be one that I am wanting to get a common block for. and as for the build type it will be street, some strip..

sorry it is real choppy. I am having to do a million things at once... LOL... now that is what I call multi tasking

300 whp-stock 89 and up T1 roller cam, clean up the head-some porting, +1mm valves, stock one piece intake, 52mm t/b, good ic, S60 turbo, 2.5 or 3 inch mandrel exhaust, proper cal,

Garrett booster

Well right now all I have is the stock 84 2.2 . well that is until someone comes and tells me they have one that is just taking up to much space in there garage and that they need to just give it to me for the mere price of just shipping... LOL wishful thinking..

just get any 89+ block from a JY. Then all you will need is a set of strong rods. I bet you could get a set from a board member here for under $75. Just put an oil drainback some where on the back of the motor, whether its on the block or the oil pan I don't think really matters.

For a setup Turbovanman has it right for a mostly street car. IMO the hole mandrel bent exhaust is overboard. Get yourself a 3in downpipe and then take it local exhaust shop and get the biggest one they can stuff in there. As long as its not crimp bent your fine. I have a 3in DP with a 3in cat hooked up to 3in pipe to my gas tank. From there its 2.5in compression bent. I spent $75 on it. going with the 3in mandrel more then tripples the cost and I figure I could put that money towards other things.

Mandrel bent is the only way to go IMHO. Crinkle bend is costing flow, and sometimes you can lose half the diameter of the pipe for a 90 deg turn. You can build your own system or get one of the vendors, worth every penny.

3 inch dp is really a waste if only going 2.5 for the whole system. You can pick up 2.5 in DP's for cheap or I even have one for sale,

Garrett booster

Ha ha well let me know guys.. As of today I no longer have a job.. and to top it all off I think me and the wife are getting a divorce.. But that is not going to stop me from building one hell of a motor.. that just means I can put all my time into that rather then whining about her.. ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by carrelljustin View Post
    Ha ha well let me know guys.. As of today I no longer have a job.. and to top it all off I think me and the wife are getting a divorce.. But that is not going to stop me from building one hell of a motor.. that just means I can put all my time into that rather then whining about her.. ha ha
    Well crap dude, sorry to hear, wow,

We can easily guide you to what works, what doesn't and to do it right but cheaply,

Garrett booster

Well I really appreciate everything.. This is def the one forum that I have been on that makes me feel like I have a family on here.. Tear.... LOL.. I should have bought a dodge sooner.. Ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by carrelljustin View Post
    Well I really appreciate everything.. This is def the one forum that I have been on that makes me feel like I have a family on here.. Tear.... LOL.. I should have bought a dodge sooner.. Ha ha
    Aww, lol!

Garrett booster

Ha ha ha... well I would like to update that me and the wife are doing better.. I got the car about 95% done.. All i am lacking is a $15 upper radiator hose... well that is all i lack to get her running. other then that.. I need a passenger side axle..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast