Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pros/Cons on the Caliber SRT-4

Question Pros/Cons on the Caliber SRT-4

Within the next year to year and a half, I plan on purchasing my first ever brand new car off the lot, which, after much debate between buying a used SRT-4 Neon or a new V6 Challenger, I've decided to just go with the Caliber SRT-4 as my choice. First off, it has the powerplant that I want (turbocharged SRT-4 version compared to V6). Also, it's a 6 spd. which I feel would be a blast to drive. In addition to that, the SRT-4's have really grown on me appearance wise after seeing the black one at SDAC-18 this year as well as that orange one that was racing at the Rally Race. Looking ahead, this would be a car that I'd be stuck with for a long time, so having four doors to get the future family in and out of would be a plus. And besides all these factors, the price range I've been researching of between $21k - $25k is something that is in my ballpark. In the end, I'm looking to do the black version with the polished rims. The way I see it, I did not like these when they first came out, as I am not a big fan of the base looking models. But with the addition of the SRT-4 appearance package (hood, wing, etc), it'll be nice to own the next step of vehicle that has evolved from the L-bodies! FTW!

Mid to late 80s - L-body
    Early 90s - P-body
    Mid 90s to early 2000's - Neon
    Early 2000s to present - Caliber

Now, this part of the forum doesn't get much activity I see, but what are the pros and cons of the SRT-4. I'd appreciate if only SRT-4 Caliber owners posted on part of their own experience. What are some things I should look for on cars at the dealership? Would you consider my thinking of waiting until next year's models to come out to get one of those rather than this 08 year being the first ones produced? What are your biggest pet peeves about these cars? Thanks in advancE!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Re: Pros/Cons on the Caliber SRT-4

I own a caliber SRT-4. I love it. The more i drive it, the more I like it. Decent highway mileage, cruise control, etc... plus 280 whp. and that was stock at 10 psi. very good potential for more. Plus Mopar weill be releasing the stage 1, and there are already mopar swaybars and coilovers available if you liked how that orange on performed at sdac on the roadcourse. If you are going to buy a callenger, why buy a v6? and if you get a neon srt-4, make sure you get it from an old guy/girl otherwise most of them are pretty beat.
    later,
    Cindy
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Garrett booster

What kind of gas mileage do you get in yours??? Thanks.

I get 29 mpg on the highway at 75-80 mph
    I get about 21-24 around town.
    BTW mine is for sale $18,900 OBO
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

turbo addict

wait? you love it but you're selling it so soon? Something doesn't add up.

Yes, I love it, but we only bought it as a temporary vehicle while I was building my other srt-4. I have finished my build, and James says I have too many cars, so I have to sell it. The good news is James liked it a lot and he said I can get another one sometime in the future. I'm OK with all that.
    Later,
    Cindy

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

The only advice I can give is wait one more year. There are always first year glitches etc and then they correct them and add more goodies for the 2nd year. The Quaife in the Neon SRT4 is a good point.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

actually Simon, the 03 srt-4 neons were better built than the late 04's and 05 ones, IMHO They may not have had a quaife, but then again when they added the quaiffe, they also added another $1500 to the cost. There aren't any new performance enhancements slated for the 09 caliber srt-4's although they will have the added option of the mygig radio, and they getting rid of the orange and adding blue as color choices.
    later,
    Cindy

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    actually Simon, the 03 srt-4 neons were better built than the late 04's and 05 ones, IMHO They may not have had a quaife, but then again when they added the quaiffe, they also added another $1500 to the cost. There aren't any new performance enhancements slated for the 09 caliber srt-4's although they will have the added option of the mygig radio, and they getting rid of the orange and adding blue as color choices.
    later,
    Cindy
    Maybe so but if you check the history of most new models, the first years are riddled with problems as they either rushed them out, or the testing was fine and the guinea pigs-us, found issues by driving them like we are supposed too, lol!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

The only cons I can see are purely subjective. If you like the vehicle and don't mind the price, then it should be a fun vehicle for you.

I myself if I were shopping for a fun, small car would not be stopping at the Dodge Dealership when the Cobalt SS and Mazdaspeed3 are available. My brand loyalty is not strong enough to get me into a Caliber.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    My brand loyalty is not strong enough to get me into a Caliber.
    My brand loyalty is strong enough to keep me Mopar, just not Caliber. I wake up every morning, get out of bed and kick my own a$$ for selling the SRT.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

i dont own a caliber, so i may not be 'qualified' to comment in here, but the REASON i dont own a caliber is because of my experiences in one. I rented one for a week. it was not an srt, so all powertrain issues aside..

i still hated it. it was tall and narrow, and felt like a mini minivan when throwing it around. the srt is lower but the seating position within the body as well as the overall proportions as far as where the weight is are not 'sporting' by my book. i also disliked the interior ergonomics. the ride was bad, even with soft stock suspension and huge sidewalls on huge tires. i imagine the srt is worse.

AWD is a big attraction, and the power is impressive, but if i was in the market, id go for the mazdaspeed3, based on everything ive read, AND my own experience driving our mazda3 daily. its really everything a small car should be, in my opinion. you wont find a better handling small car outside of a mini cooper s, or a mazdaSPEED3, which also happened to be declared the best handling fwd car in the world by motor trend. based on our base models handling, i believe it. the styling, with the exception of the stock wheels, imo, is amazing, and thats even at the end of its lifecycle.. the design is already old and i much prefer it over many newer small cars.

handling can be fun but it get old,nothing like a turbo to get you going and a dealer to feed you performance parts

I didn't have an SRT-4 Caliber (drove one tho), but I had a 2007 SXT Sport Caliber and a 2004 Neon SRT4.

My 07 Caliber was the absolute worst car I have ever owned. I had a boatload of problems which made me say F--- YOU CALITURD with only 5100 miles on it and I traded it in towards my 2004 SRT4.

After driving the Neon SRT4 and then driving the Caliber SRT4... the Neon version is what a true sports car is suppost to be like. Fast, loud, and insanely fun. The Caliber version wasn't as quick, nimble, or fun to drive.

Not a day goes by where I don't miss that SRT4 Neon I had. I admit tho, I miss my Caliber too... only if it wasn't a pile of absolute junk... the car itself was handy and comfortable.

Hybrid booster

Don't have an srt version, but recently purchased a SXT 5 speed Caliber.
    Car was purchased as a family/daily driver and good mpg (33.6 around town). I like the higher seating position, and the interior fits me fine, at 6'2. Test drove the CVT transmision caliber and didn't like it at all.

Killer price on Cindy's CSRT.

Greg

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

the cvt kills that car worse than anything else. even the 2.4 R/T runs 17s.. a lancer with the same motor and a 5 speed runs high 15s. and that whole second is somewhere between 0-10mph.. try getting out into traffic from a stop and you will damn near kill yourself.

also, as far as handling... its what keeps you alive in accident avoidance situations.. and those get more and more common the faster your car is

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Ruthie has a Patriot with a 2.4 CVT combo, and it takes some getting used to, but I like it. Really low highway cruise RPM for a 4 cyl auto.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Thanks for all the comments guys and gals.! My brand loyalty is the reason I am going to go with a Caliber. I despised of them at first completely, but seeing those handful of SRT-4 version ones at SDAC really changed my mind, as the other models don't even compare appearance wise in my opinion. If I didn't mention, I am planning on waiting until the next year's model year is out for a while until I pick one up, for I do not trust first year cars either lol.... It was asked why would I buy a V6 Challenger if I went that route, well, simply because I have other plans $$$ wise and I'm setting the limit to spend on a new car next year at $25 max. Oh how sweet an SRT-8 Challenger would be though! Maybe if I hit the lottery I'll change plans.

Regardless, the main selling point for me is that it is the next step of evolution of Chrysler's sector of these types of vehicles. Also, I no longer want an SRT-4 Neon for the very reason that Cindy brought up in the sense that most are beat on anymore, and to spend the amount of money on one that they're bringing in is not worth it in my eyes if I'd have to end up fixing stuff on it. Compared to buying a brand new 09 CSRT, which I wouldn't have to worry about fixing anything that a previous owner toyed with or beat up.

Some questions I thought about since posting this thread:

1. Does it feel like you're sitting up real high in one of these?
    2. Is the 13 speaker sound system upgrade worth it?
    3. How is the interior noise level while driving?
    4. Is MP offering any upgrades/tasteful mods for these yet?
    5. How is shifting on the dash compared to the floor?
    6. Does the CSRT come with a different suspension package compared to the SXT or R/T models? Or does the SRT-4 package simply consist of the 6 spd. and turbo/ic'd motor?
    7. Accessibility wise, is it easy to get in and out of all four doors?

BTW, this car is going to solely be for a daily commuting, regardless of weather or distance, transport car. I'm not racing drags nor autocross, but am curious as to the handling now since it's been brought up a couple of times. I've always wanted a manual shift car for d.d.'ing, and feel that with a 6 spd. turbo setup, it will be a blast to drive.

The biggest problem in my mind thus far is the color selection. Each color choice has its appealing angles, and I am truly unsure as to which one I like best.

Red:

^ My favorite so far, but of course, red = flashy and I know all too well about receiving speeding tix in red cars. Red's trademark of Chrysler though these days, and the color gives meaning to the red stitching inside. Plus, red/chrome rim combo is saweeeeeeeet!

Black:

^ Really awesome color scheme as well. I think the flat black accents on the car would really be a nice combo with the gloss black paint. Very stealth like as well (especially with some tinted windows). However, harder to keep clean, which would frustrate me. Is the color all of my buddy's want me to go with though.

Silver:

^ My least favorite out of the three because to me silver gets plain and boring over time. Easy to keep clean though, and the exterior color blends well with the interior color dash-wise as well as rim-wise.

I do think if I go with a color other than black that I will be adding a black spoiler to match up with the top roof moldings (from the side view) to add an accent of my own. Maybe this will hide the 'Pull me over' sign on it too.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Turismo View Post
    1. Does it feel like you're sitting up real high in one of these?
    at first it does, especially if you are used to driving a shelby charger or neon srt-4. But after a while, I actually got used to it, and now like it. And when you pull up next to a surburban, it feels a lot lower LOL

2. Is the 13 speaker sound system upgrade worth it?
    How much do you listen to music? If you are getting the car new, I would spring for the $1100 upgrade, but you don't need 13 speakers, come on, it's not a big car! And for $1100 and you can install a pretty decent stereo yourself.

3. How is the interior noise level while driving?
    Surprisingly quiet. There are times when I am standing outside the car and my teenager is inside with the stereo cranked to 25 on the volume button. I can't hear anything outside but open the door....."wth???..turn it down!!!"
    4. Is MP offering any upgrades/tasteful mods for these yet?
    yes, stage 1 ecus will be coming out and they already have a BOV, coilovers and swaybars, and front strut bar available.
    5. How is shifting on the dash compared to the floor?
    At first it feel weird, but after a while it is actually nicer and more comfortable. Shifter is smooth, and I really like the 6 speed and having cruise control!

6. Does the CSRT come with a different suspension package compared to the SXT or R/T models? Or does the SRT-4 package simply consist of the 6 spd. and turbo/ic'd motor?
    It comes with better brakes, wheels, tires, suspension, seats, exhaust etc... not just a plain caliber with a big motor. They really made a nice allaround pacakge.

7. Accessibility wise, is it easy to get in and out of all four doors?
    Super easy, and the rear seats fold down so you can haul a bunch of stuff if needed.
    Sitting up high it seems that it wouldn't handle well, but it actual handles very well. Stops great, and you can take it pretty hard around corners. Stock to stock, I think it handled better than my neon srt-4. The more I drove it, the more I liked it. I think it is really a car you need to drive for a couple of weeks of DD to really appreciate it's versatility. I'm sorry to see it go, but having 5 daily drivers is a bit excessive
    later,
    Cindy

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast