Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowered 1st Gen Dakota?

Garrett booster

Lowered 1st Gen Dakota?

Decided I want to drop the Dakota about 3 inches . . . problem is I can't find any lowering kits for it!!!!

If anyone could help find a kit, or offer advice, I'd greatly appreciate it!!!

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

Re: Lowered 1st Gen Dakota?

hell they make all kinds of parts for those. Drop spindles and springs, shackles and/or hangers for the rear.

http://www.sporttruckdirect.com/dakota_kits.html

just look around
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Garrett booster

lol thanks clay! I must have spent an hour looking last night, didn't find ISH!

Found these today, but only a 2" drop.

I'm new to this (trucks) so what exactly are "drop spindles" and are they better than lowering springs?

What is the safest route to go, and which is best for my truck in the long run? (it hasn't even got 100k on it)

drop spindles are basically a whole new knuckle with the spindle moved UP. This lowers the truck but keeps suspension geometry the same. Usually a combo of spindle and lowering springs gives the best outcome, but they can be used independently.
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Garrett booster

Clay, just checked out that site, that is EXACTLY what I'm looking for! I think I'm gonna do the 2" drop in front w/ the 4" in rear. . . .

Wanna start w/ the interior of the truck first (see my other post in the lounge "Junkyard scavengers") Then get her sanded down/ready for paint, drop it and paint it then wheels last.

I've been thinking about doing a 5.9L V8 swap too, but that's gonna be a year or so down the road (don't wanna mess with it during winter)

Garrett booster

Also, if I drop the truck, would a bigger wheel size that fits now still fit without modifying the wheel well?

For instance, I can fit 22's on there now, if I drop it, will they still fit without modification?

I don't want to go that big, more like 20's max. Just wondering. Like I said this is all new to me.

I would deff reccomend spindles on the front over some really short coils, all it does is move the wheel up and doesnt affect suspension, then you can get a spring that isnt so short and maintain ride, in the back the shackles and block combo would work good too and you can keep all your speings in the pack. As far as the wheels go drop it and see what the factory wheels/tires look like then just plus size, one size bigger rim, one size smaller tire. Just remember if you get 20's they are gonna be 2" wider with a much wider tire but daks have a BIG fenderwell compared to other minitrucks so I dont see a problem with some dubs.

turbo addict

dude air ride FTW! Hopefully mine will be draggin' frame this time next year.

turbo addict

What year?

Heres my 96 dropped on 2" drop western chassis spindles, and beltech 2" drop hangers.

Garrett booster

Looking at that, I think I'm gonna opt for the 3"/5" drop. I wanna be draggin

turbo addict

Go ahead and order a C-notch then, and some smaller tires.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

That looks good, Mopar318, nice height there... I've thought about dropping mine a tad but dont want to lose too much tire clearance with the RT rimz or hurt the way it tows.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

sounds like joel wants a body drop w/ bags!
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Garrett booster

I don't wanna be scraping the ground, or the huge speed bumps around here. Just want a "little" drop. . . 3" is PLENTY for me!

I'll take plenty of pics to document my progression

You have to watch the wheels on the front with lowering spindles, if the lower control arms sit inside the wheels, they may rub on something like a 15" wheel. May not, just a heads up.

Garrett booster

I'll keep that in mind cause I'm not planning on upgrading the wheels until AFTER I get the interior FINISHED (swap & stereo), and the truck painted (with hard tonneau) and new front grill and side mirrors. I've found some good stuff already!

Quote Originally Posted by uwilluz View Post
    lol thanks clay! I must have spent an hour looking last night, didn't find ISH!

Found these today, but only a 2" drop.

I'm new to this (trucks) so what exactly are "drop spindles" and are they better than lowering springs?

What is the safest route to go, and which is best for my truck in the long run? (it hasn't even got 100k on it)
    Those spindles and the company that produces them are junk. Pay the extra money and buy Belltech spindles. The machine work on those ebay ones is less than good. Several RAM guys have bought them and tried to return them, only to be charged outrageous restocking fees.

turbo addict

and I thought that I might of found somebody that would take these front lowering springs for a DAk off my hands finally when I read that title. Oh well.

turbo addict

Any more than a 2" drop up front and you will have scraping issues at the top of the wheel well.

I will second buying the Belltech spindles. 2/4 is a nice drop on these and can be worked to handle surprisingly well.

Interested in some billet 17s?

Quote Originally Posted by TurbododgePirate View Post
    Those spindles and the company that produces them are junk. Pay the extra money and buy Belltech spindles. The machine work on those ebay ones is less than good. Several RAM guys have bought them and tried to return them, only to be charged outrageous restocking fees.
    My buddy bought a set for his 01 Silverado 1500. The ball joints it came with were junk in 5k miles, and based on their directions of swapping upper contril arms and relocating the brake hose, he mysteriously would lose pedal pressure if turned full ock like backing out of a parking space and then trying to stop. Back to stock never again. Pay the extra now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast