Thread: One of the few IC I can use in my GLH with A/C

turbo addict

One of the few IC I can use in my GLH with A/C

I found one! I measured and measured and am sure that this IC will work in my GLH while I can keep my A/C stuff. The downside is that the grill between the headlights MUST come off in order to make space for this i/c. It is going to be mounted in front of the a/c condensor and behind the front bummer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33742

Question is, anybody have this I/C and how well does it flow and cool? The plan for the GLH is 2.5L with around 20psi with a TII turbo.

boostaholic

Re: One of the few IC I can use in my GLH with A/C

Why not use a Daytona Rad/IC combo?

turbo addict

Stock IC sucks.

turbo addict

Could run dual stock IC's which should be good.

turbo addict

This is an OMNI we're talking about here. There isn't any space for a big ic unlike other TD, if you want to keep the A/C, or the bumper, or the body kit.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

If you were up for running a remote oil filter, and a slim fan, you would move the rad back a couple of inches and stuff a pretty big IC in front of the condenser.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by cordes
    If you were up for running a remote oil filter, and a slim fan, you would move the rad back a couple of inches and stuff a pretty big IC in front of the condenser.
    This is what I did, moved the radiator back 1".
    Used a GLHS radiator w/o the IC to run pipes, a Spearco
    top to bottom flow IC, and there was NO room to have an AC cond. in
    there.
    I remember Gary D. cutting the center out of the front bumper
    of a GLHT and welding a Porsch IC in it.
    Anyone remember the pics he had on the black GLHT?
    That is the only was I can see it happening.

Hybrid booster

I just got copies of those picks from Gary as I want to do the same thing. That GLHT with the 944 IC did not have A/C.

I wonder if a minivan condenser will fit. It is smaller than the mini rad.

Martin
    90 Voyager TII--donor
    89 Horizon--recipient

Quote Originally Posted by Keito
    This is what I did, moved the radiator back 1".
    Used a GLHS radiator w/o the IC to run pipes, a Spearco
    top to bottom flow IC, and there was NO room to have an AC cond. in
    there.
    I remember Gary D. cutting the center out of the front bumper
    of a GLHT and welding a Porsch IC in it.
    Anyone remember the pics he had on the black GLHT?
    That is the only was I can see it happening.

turbo addict

Update with pic.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Looks like it fits.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: How about one of these?

More money but - put one of these on top of the transaxle. Almost no IC piping required, less bends, less lag, more efficient.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air2water 4Hx4W12D.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	757  
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Quote Originally Posted by johnl
    More money but - put one of these on top of the transaxle. Almost no IC piping required, less bends, less lag, more efficient.
    But then you will have to find a place for the water resevour, the water coolers, and lines for that.

Hybrid booster

less IC tubing yes. Being more efficient is subjective and Carroll Shelby once said "If you have turbo lag, you driving the car wrong."

But then you will have to find a place for the water resevour, the water coolers, and lines for that.
    How about cutting the center out of the GLHT's bumper and brazing/welding an aluminum radiator core (36"x3.5"x3") into the sectioned out center?

Then run 5/8 radiator hose into the driver's side frame rail -forward, maybe under the battery - and out through the inside of the bumper support to connect to a barb inside the bumper/radiator. The radiator hose would return on the passenger side and similarly come out of the frame rail forward of the areas of maximum chassis loads/stress. That radiator would have about 108" squared of area, not counting the surface area of the bumper. Hang the pump where ever is convenient.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."

Garrett booster

How about cutting the center out of the GLHT's bumper and brazing/welding an aluminum radiator core (36"x3.5"x3") into the sectioned out center?

Then run 5/8 radiator hose into the driver's side frame rail -forward, maybe under the battery - and out through the inside of the bumper support to connect to a barb inside the bumper/radiator. The radiator hose would return on the passenger side and similarly come out of the frame rail forward of the areas of maximum chassis loads/stress. That radiator would have about 108" squared of area, not counting the surface area of the bumper. Hang the pump where ever is convenient.
    This sounds likely to happen - most guys with these cars spend $1000's in parts and plumbing, then hang it all with zip ties! haha. It really wouldn't be hard to do a water/air ic, but I have a charger so I'll put the extra $$ into the IC itself

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Yah but you can't beat a big, shiny, sexy intercooler hanging up front of a rusted out POS.

Quote Originally Posted by Phreakish
    This sounds likely to happen - most guys with these cars spend $1000's in parts and plumbing, then hang it all with zip ties! haha. It really wouldn't be hard to do a water/air ic, but I have a charger so I'll put the extra $$ into the IC itself

Hey buddy - got something against zip ties and duct tape? I;ll meet cha outside!
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

It could be done for sure, but if you are not worried about keeping the front bumper stock, there are a lot of other ways to do it without the hassle IMO.

It could be done for sure, but if you are not worried about keeping the front bumper stock, there are a lot of other ways to do it without the hassle IMO.
    This air/water IC project is the logical next step with this car. Want to get it running as a stock T2 set up first. Get it sorted, then, go with a more efficient intercooler and more PSI.

In my mind's eye, I see an air/water IC's radiator in the bumper as damn near invisible. The car has black bumpers. I'll match the radiator fins to the bumper's black finish; the radiator fins will be set back from the front surface of the bumper by 1/4 to 3/8 inch, the heater hose connecting to it will be invisible since it will be inside the bumper supports, and I have no concern about keeping the bumper stock as Omni/Horizon bumpers are pretty easy to come by and the car I'm gonna do it to is a race/street car anyway. Better, IMO than cutting up the core support sheetmetal or hacking holes in the body.

There's a lot of room on top of the transaxle - especially when you pull the stock IC out. Air/water ICs just cool a lot better, especially if you give them a big/well ventilated radiator.

Not having to push the inertia of several cubic feet of air, not having to compress those cubic feet of air in 4 - 6 feet of IC hose/pipe has got to be worth something.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand