Thread: Speedometer Needle Removal

Garrett booster

Speedometer Needle Removal

Has anyone here ever taken the needle off their speedometer, specifically 87 to 89 Daytona / Lebaron styles. I have two speedometers, one works better, and the other has a nicer face. I would like to swap the mechanicals of the good one into the one with the nicer looking face. I'd imagine I could just pull it off, but I just dont want to break them, and they seem fairly stuck.

Thanks!

-Dan-

Re: Speedometer Needle Removal

I've pulled the needle off of Tachs before. They're glued on. Secret seems to be stabilizing the shaft/ mechanizm first. So as not to bend or displace.Then I used a "tack puller" to pop it loose.
    The orange is a 2 step paint(flo org/white) from behind. Incase thats you're point.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDan View Post
    Has anyone here ever taken the needle off their speedometer, specifically 87 to 89 Daytona / Lebaron styles. I have two speedometers, one works better, and the other has a nicer face. I would like to swap the mechanicals of the good one into the one with the nicer looking face. I'd imagine I could just pull it off, but I just dont want to break them, and they seem fairly stuck.

Thanks!

-Dan-
    if its a speedo-cable-type, pull the needle straight off-DON'T rock it much.
    I got mine completely apart and even rolled odo back to '0'.
    It was not that stuck, but wasn't going to fall off either, seemed to be pressure-fit.
    Pinion the needle is mounted to is very small and will bend easily, so take your time.

Garrett booster

Thanks for the help! I was able to replace the capacitor on the stepper motor control board on the speedo that looked better. This made it accurate again, so I did not have to switch out the entire assembly. The needle doesn't even bounce anymore when I'm going ~10MPH (Just when the needle starts to register) I was able to determine that the needle is heat-staked onto the steel pivot rod, just in case anyone wants to know.

-Dan-