Thread: 1989 Chrysler LeBaron GTS 2.5L TII, NEW motor/bathtubhead/clutch. THIS IS A GOOD DEAL

boostaholic

1989 Chrysler LeBaron GTS 2.5L TII, NEW motor/bathtubhead/clutch. MORE PIX 8/28

Car is in Rhode Island, zip 02879.

I am done with turbo Chryslers. No more time. This car runs and drives. Here we go:

I bought it in September 2007. It had a TII 2.2 motor. I am told the car had over 225,000 miles on it. Odometer has a Shadow speedometer (hard finding a GTS cluster). It was owned by Cliff Ramsdell...twice.

Here's the bad. This is EVERYTHING.

The powersteering needs a flush, it works okay but better at higher RPM.
    The interior I'd rate a 6/10. (specifically the gauge cluster as it doesn't really fit) doesn't The driver's seat is torn a bit, but it's power and everything works. Headliner sags.
    The crank seal leaks a little.
    The dipstick is broken and the tube is currently plugged. I have a dipstick I will gladly give you.
    Alternator bushings are shot but are included. Poly bushings.
    Front motor mount is OK but I have a stock replacement I will be including.
    Cam timing is off (bathtub head + 89 commonblock = timing off 4 degrees.). Adjustable cam sprocket is on the way from FWD-P and will be included.

The good:
    rebuilt 2.5L TI commonblock, .030 over, new main/rod bearings, pistons, rings, core plugs, balance shaft delete, intermediate shaft bushings.
    The turbo is very good. Garrett T3.
    rebuilt bathtub cylinder head. Not kidding I put $550 into just the head a few weeks ago, just to get it back to stock. New valves, valve seals, valve guides, planed, cleaned, etc etc
    New NAPA clutch/pressureplate/throwout bearing. Last Tuesday.
    NEW NAPA axles, both sides.
    GOOD tires.
    Exhaust mani is drilled/tapped for an EGT gauge. The EGT sender is bad but replace it and you're good to go. Car comes with a gauge pod (not hooked up) with Autometer EGT gauge (gauge is good). Included is an Autometer Boost/vac gauge, good working order, already hooked up.
    Cap/rotor/plugs/wires/air filter all new.
    New ASD relay.
    New coil.
    New headlamps, sealed beams.
    Genuine G-valve.
    Autometer A/F gauge installed. Works great.
    New 02 sensor.
    FWD-P 2.5" turbo-back exhaust with cat and Dynomax muffler.
    Stainless turbo lines all installed.
    Motor was put together with MP gasket and MP bolts.
    All power options, and they all work.

I put about 800 miles on the car since I got it back on the road. Now it's going to be yours.

$1100 or best offer. That's nowhere NEAR what I put into it.
    Questions, call me. 401-855-4215, ask for Pete.

No trades unless you have something new-ish.

Before motor was installed:

Hidden A/F gauge.

More pictures available upon request.

A555 transmission shifts great. Might I add this is one of 246 cars?

More pictures 8/28

Will this car make it to (whatever state you live in)? No I can't gaurentee it, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Don't buy if you're thinking you're getting a gem. It's not, and I'll be the first one to say it. It has a new motor/head/clutch, etc, you're doing the rest.

It's not a 12 second car. It's probably not even a 14 second car. But it has lots of potential.

I removed the door lock and took it to the lock shop to have a key cut for it. I never had one since I bought it, but I figure you might want it.

The worst of the rust, already repaired (previous owner did a good job with the bondo and metal). Needs sanding and painting.

The front tires (Rears are almost new, no pic of them)

This picture makes it look worse than it is.

New drivers axle

New passengers side axle

You can see the boost controller, TII intake modded to for a stock BOV, shiny ridiculously expensive (for me ) cylinder head, new cap rotor wires, stainless turbo lines. Don't mind the vacuum line mess this was temporary.

Alternator less than 2 years old, NAPA reman. New coil, aftermarket cooling fan.

Like I said, it needs a gauge cluster. I have the trim, it's in the trunk. I have the original GTS cluster in there now. The tach is dead and the speedometer is from one of my old Shadows, but it works. The Yellow wire you see is from the EGT gauge, next pic reveals more of it. The gauge pod needs to be installed in the pillar. There is an original CD player (out of a Neon?) in there. It works great.

Didn't clean the car before I took pics, sorry. Rear seats are in pretty good shape. All power windows work.

If you live in Rhode Island, I'll even get the car inspected for you, no charge.
    Last edited by Big_P; 08-28-2008 at 09:20 PM. Reason: title change

turbo addict

Re: 1989 Chrysler LeBaron GTS, 2.5L TII, NEW motor/bathtub head/clutch. LOOK.

Cool car, good luck with the sale.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Garrett booster

Re: 1989 Chrysler LeBaron GTS 2.5L TII, NEW motor/bathtubhead/clutch. THIS IS A GOOD

Looks really nice with those wheels (pumpers?) on it. Wish I had the money!!!

Hybrid booster

Re: 1989 Chrysler LeBaron GTS 2.5L TII, NEW motor/bathtubhead/clutch. THIS IS A GOOD

wow that looks exactly like my old T2 GTS. mine was the same color, even had the same color leather interior. i even had the same Kumho Ecsta HP4 tires lol.

bump for a nice car!

------------------------
    Joshua Mitchell
    '91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
    '87 Shelby CSX #667
    '98 Buick Regal GS

boostaholic

to the top

boostaholic

I don't remember where I left off on this, but I did drop the oil pan and put the dipstick tube in. She still runs great.

Need it sold.