Thread: dual stage boost controller

turbo addict

dual stage boost controller

What are you guys running for dual stage boost controllers. I want to set my car up to run stock boost around town, but higher boost at the track with the flip of a switch! Any recomendations would be great.

boostaholic

Re: dual stage boost controller

Im running a Turbo XS dual stage.

turbo addict

how do you like it?

boostaholic

Truthfully I've not drove the car with it on yet Sorry

When I was running the old Daytona, I had a stock boost control solenoid wired to a toggle switch and attached to a "T" in a hose between the barb on the compressor and the wastegate can (I also had a restrictor in the hose before the "T"). It would run boost straight to the wastegate when it was off and I set the low boost by adjusting the tension on the wastegate arm. When the solenoid was powered, it would bleed boost through a valve and high boost was controlled by how far the valve was open. Eventually, the valve got removed and high boost was "all of it" (around 28 psi on that setup). An alcohol injection kit was providing a large portion of the fuel, so I could get away with that on pump gas.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I am running a manual type Greddy EBC, Profec Type S. It has 3 rotary knobs-gain, low boost which I mess with on the street, high boost for racing. Its good to 43 psi. Got it off Ebay for $150. After having this, I'll never use an MBC again,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Do you have a link for that?

Quote Originally Posted by john1320 View Post
    Do you have a link for that?
    Me??????
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

Yes you, I think he wants a link to the greddy.

Quote Originally Posted by 1984rampage View Post
    Yes you, I think he wants a link to the greddy.
    Ok, this is the one I have, as for Ebay, it took me 6 months to get a wicked deal on one,

http://www.greddy.com/products/displ...SubCategory=51

One on Ebay-

http://cgi.ebay.com/JDM-GREDDY-PRofe...QQcmdZViewItem

turbo addict

i have a GReddy profec II spec b or something like that. it has a digital screen, one rotary knob and two buttons, select(hi, low, off) and mode(when to start boost control, gain, boost warning, and peak boost reached). also, the off position will let the boost bypass the soleniod and go straight to the wastegate, it will run about 7psi on my stockish t2 setup. i really like it except that the boost varies a couple psi depending on ambient air temp. which sucks becuz its why i ditched my mbc(g-valve). i bought it from some guy off craigslist who crashed his subie. i typed in the word "boost" in the auto parts section.

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    i have a GReddy profec II spec b or something like that. it has a digital screen, one rotary knob and two buttons, select(hi, low, off) and mode(when to start boost control, gain, boost warning, and peak boost reached). also, the off position will let the boost bypass the soleniod and go straight to the wastegate, it will run about 7psi on my stockish t2 setup. i really like it except that the boost varies a couple psi depending on ambient air temp. which sucks becuz its why i ditched my mbc(g-valve). i bought it from some guy off craigslist who crashed his subie. i typed in the word "boost" in the auto parts section.
    You either didn't set the gain properly or your system has an issue.

Boost is rock solid with a bunch of other guys I've also talked to who use these.

turbo addict

i just put a 3" sv and 3" mandrel exhaust, that exits in front of the back tire no cat so it sounds sweet i think. its more consistant now but from lunch time 12:30pm, to about nine pm? it changes about 2.5 psi. i havent had a long time to tune it in with new setup tho

turbo addict

turbovanman, do you have to reset the gain for high and low boost? and im running high and low boost as high and low ambient temp. i live in san diego california, in the day its like 95 and at night the temp can go as low as 50 something in the summer sometimes, it can be more extreme in winter. last year it was like 72 in the day and it got down to 28 a couple times at night. i know its nothing like whats in the mid west or east coast.

That's interesting. I always figured the fancy electronic boost controllers would have some way to compensate for environmental changes and hold the same boost regardless of temperature, humitity, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    turbovanman, do you have to reset the gain for high and low boost? and im running high and low boost as high and low ambient temp. i live in san diego california, in the day its like 95 and at night the temp can go as low as 50 something in the summer sometimes, it can be more extreme in winter. last year it was like 72 in the day and it got down to 28 a couple times at night. i know its nothing like whats in the mid west or east coast.
    I set the gain and forget it, its the same boost, rock solid, hot, cold, in between,

turbo addict

alright, i think i just have to many problems, not with the controller. the boost settings for high and low BOTH have a start boost controll function, gain, and boost dwell setting (u set the wastegate dwell, the controller doesnt set to a psi). the problem i had b4 was the fact that i had to controller set to the border of overboost, so in the day it was fine, but at night it would raise boost (colder?)and it would hit overboost. so i put the diode map clamp on it and set it at 15 psi (i have an afpr) and i had it within .5 psi consistent from day to night. it was good for about a week but i think i have a boost leak & exhaust manifold leak beacuse now my boost fluctuates from 14 to 16 to 14 to 16 so on and so on when im boosting on the freeway, annoying but i think its my setup. i have some blow by (mayb a lot) to when i checked for boost leaks about a month ago. the controller is sweet, my setup sucks

Bum deal. I was going to suggest hook the turbo to the intake and see what happens. If the boost is rock solid, then you know the controller is at fault.

turbo addict

i guess i should read the instructions a little better, there is also a boost warning/limiter function, well i dont check it much, but it was set at 13.8 so when i was spiking to 16, the controller was trying to bring it down to 13 to compensate i hooked vacuum directly to the wastegate, it hit 7psi and regulated, but crept up to 10psi by 5200. maybe ill do a little more research b4 i put my two cents in next time. controller is awsome, just a little complicated.