Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another 2.4 on the road !!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Another 2.4 on the road !!

1/2 a year of planning and another 1 1/2 years of fabbing and she's finally on the road!!

2 years ago I dropped a valve in my 8V which sponned this project. I picked up a solid body for $100 and got started. Here are a couple pics for ya and if you haven't already seen one of them, the condenced build log can be found here. (the same pictures as my original log, less chat) http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=305752

Myself and Randy (Turbo Rampage) at a show today.

DJ
    Last edited by turboshad; 08-24-2008 at 01:30 AM.

boostaholic

Re: Another 2.4 on the road !!

Looks Very,Very nice!

turbo addict

VERY clean! Good job!
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Nice job!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Nice Whip!!!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Well DJ, I hadn't actually planned on spending an hour and 20 minutes reading about your build up but there is just too many quality step by step fabrication shots to pass up. You deserve an atta-boy for the additional time it takes to do that kind of documentation and pics

You should also know that I am adding you to the short list I have of folks who can really fab (I can make stuff happen but I'm not even on my own list). Heck son, welding, machining, wiring bodywork fer chissakes! Anything you can't do... I even like your writing style and humor

Nicely done, I hope to see the car at SDAC 19 in Cinci next year

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Wow, that looks sweet,

Any track times yet or just a street play toy?

What do you do for a living, wow.

Whats done to the engine? Saves me going thru the blog, lol!

Nevermind, I went thru it, and all I can say is holy SH*T, that is some serious work, wow.

Why did you make your own mounts, PB makes them and it would have been alot cheaper based on your "screwup"

I guess I am lucky, I had no issues with axle fitment or that gear being wrong,

I don't understand this, you build a 4 inch system, then neck down to what looks like 2.5 inchs at the flex pipe?-

Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 08-24-2008 at 06:11 PM.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Thanks everyone.

Alan,

If I run into something I can't do then I try as long as I have the tools. If I still can't do it I get mad and try again. Usually by the second try I can get something half decent but if not I put my tail between my legs and pay some one but I absolutely hate doing that. There are a few pieces that I had help on since I can't use the CNC mill yet (someday though, I am learning G code as we speak). But short of that I did all the rest myself and learned a whole lot with many of them being the first time I had ever done it. There are definately pieces I would love to do again since I know I could do them better now.

I would love to make it to an SDAC but they always happen on the east coast. They should really look into an alternating east/west coast deal. If it was held in California or Vegas like you guys were talking about I would be all over it. But the 50 hour drive puts a little damper on getting the car there.

Simon,

I haven't raced it yet since it has only been on the road for 3 days. I was hoping to get a pass in this year but it looks like I will probably have to wait until spring.

I'm a mechanical engineer with a key to a full metal fab machine shop so that definately helps out huge in doing a project like this.

It looks like you read the log so you don't need to know what has been done to the engine now.

I made my own mounts b/c it more or less cost me $30 and now when the day comes when PB doesn't make mounts for the car I am building I've already learned what not to do and they will come out much better.

The exhaust necks down to 3" not 2.5. It continues back through two magnaflow straight through 3" mufflers for a nice low tone without having excessive noise in the cab. If I want noise I can always open up the 4"

DJ

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

oh man, that's nice!

i hear ya on the body work. mine is in 1,000,000 pieces getting ready for paint stripping and a repaint. takes foooooorrrrrever.

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    Thanks everyone.

Alan,

If I run into something I can't do then I try as long as I have the tools. If I still can't do it I get mad and try again. Usually by the second try I can get something half decent but if not I put my tail between my legs and pay some one but I absolutely hate doing that. There are a few pieces that I had help on since I can't use the CNC mill yet (someday though, I am learning G code as we speak). But short of that I did all the rest myself and learned a whole lot with many of them being the first time I had ever done it. There are definately pieces I would love to do again since I know I could do them better now.

I would love to make it to an SDAC but they always happen on the east coast. They should really look into an alternating east/west coast deal. If it was held in California or Vegas like you guys were talking about I would be all over it. But the 50 hour drive puts a little damper on getting the car there.

Simon,

I haven't raced it yet since it has only been on the road for 3 days. I was hoping to get a pass in this year but it looks like I will probably have to wait until spring.

I'm a mechanical engineer with a key to a full metal fab machine shop so that definately helps out huge in doing a project like this.

It looks like you read the log so you don't need to know what has been done to the engine now.

I made my own mounts b/c it more or less cost me $30 and now when the day comes when PB doesn't make mounts for the car I am building I've already learned what not to do and they will come out much better.

The exhaust necks down to 3" not 2.5. It continues back through two magnaflow straight through 3" mufflers for a nice low tone without having excessive noise in the cab. If I want noise I can always open up the 4"

DJ
    Ok, sounds good,

Again, awesome job, wow,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Holy WOW. That thing is awesome.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

.... I would love to make it to an SDAC but they always happen on the east coast. They should really look into an alternating east/west coast deal. If it was held in California or Vegas like you guys were talking about I would be all over it. But the 50 hour drive puts a little damper on getting the car there.
    Since you are closer to the tree line than Vegas... how much further is it to Cinci than Vegas?

Agreed on the fab shop.. I think my Z would still be a 2.2L if I didnt have such tools available myself..

BTW, nice job man, still need to find time to go thru the rest of your .org thread!

How much power ya making?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

I had friends of mine show me that buid-up log a while ago but I haven't been back to see how it had turned out. It's AWESOME!

I didn't see the name of the colour, is it "patriot blue"?

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

Read your blog! good stuff man!! Awesome build! and a sweet car all around. I cant wait to see how it does at the strip!
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Thanks everyone.

Alan,

I hear ya. Simon would come to SDAC if he had a car running at the time. Sorry, couldn't resist Simon.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

WOW that is all I can say! I read your entire thread on neons.org and you are my hero

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I hear ya. Simon would come to SDAC if he had a car running at the time. Sorry, couldn't resist Simon.
    Ouch,

Hybrid booster

Wanna do my Daytona next?

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Since you are closer to the tree line than Vegas... how much further is it to Cinci than Vegas?

Agreed on the fab shop.. I think my Z would still be a 2.2L if I didnt have such tools available myself..

BTW, nice job man, still need to find time to go thru the rest of your .org thread!

How much power ya making?

Actually Cincinatti isn'tas far as I originally thought. It's only 32 hrs according to google so add a few to that. Vegas is 22 hrs so still substantially closer. Well I have a winter to talk myself into it. I have always wanted to make one of them. If Simon heads over I could meet him half way.

I don't know how much power it has yet since it has only been out for 3 days. My goals were 400 on pump and 500 on race but they were just goals. I won't brag about anything until it actually happens. The car was built around the magic 500 mark though. Kind of funny that that number doesn't sound as big as it used to.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    I didn't see the name of the colour, is it "patriot blue"?
    The color is by BMW called Monacco Blue.

DJ

Very nice job looks awesome,Is this an automatic car?And did you make the chrome thermostat housing I sure would like to get one that is not plastic Ive had a couple break already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast