Thread: new turbo owner needs help

Mitsu booster

new turbo owner needs help

I just got a 88 shelby csx-t and help getting parts or where to get them would be nice. its all stock, would like to up the hp and torque without going over board.I do have a 90 chrysler 2.2 turbo motor for parts. I did find intake and exhaust manifolds on the turbo site. which are better two piece or 1 piece intake.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: new turbo owner needs help

First off, welcome to the site.

The two piece is a better intake. I get most all of my parts at the junk yard. Perhaps an IC/rad combo would be a good first project for your CSX-T?

Quote Originally Posted by snowcat426a View Post
    I just got a 88 shelby csx-t and help getting parts or where to get them would be nice. its all stock, would like to up the hp and torque without going over board.I do have a 90 chrysler 2.2 turbo motor for parts. I did find intake and exhaust manifolds on the turbo site. which are better two piece or 1 piece intake.

Snowcat!

Two piece intakes are more desireable but also more difficult to find. The one piece version should work for what you are looking for. We have plenty of extra hard to find parts here. Just give us a shout with what you are looking for.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Mitsu booster

thanks for the welcome. yes was planning on the upgrade to i/c. TU also replied

If you have a good pick n' pull in your area and can get in there frequently you would be surprised at what you can get for next to nothing. I have gotten a 555, multiple Rad/ICs other ICs and the list goes on. Two weeks ago I got an 87' LM and a HEP along with some little trim pieces I needed for $16.

Hybrid booster

welcome to the BEST site ever! all you need to go fast is just talking to all the guys and gals on here and doing some wrenching, well and a few dollars. WELCOME!

Mitsu booster

its good to see so much help. i'm used to working on r/b and small blocks all mopar of course! this 4 banger stuff is new. the car mags don't seem to sell parts.

Mitsu booster

can any parts from the 90's turbo fit on the 88? good idea or bad?

Mitsu booster

for T/U any good part combos? i found the 2 piece and header on your site.

for T/U any good part combos? i found the 2 piece and header on your site.

Best bet is to give us a call so we can go over a few things first about your current set up and expectations. We are open weekends too.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

can any parts from the 90's turbo fit on the 88? good idea or bad?

The entire engine can bolt in. One is a common block, the other is not. Cranks are different. Pistons and rods the same. The commpon block is the stronger block. Heads manifolds all interchange.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Welcome to the forum! Got any pics of your CSX-T?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Ken is dead on the money. I would add that just because a part is better or more desirable doesn't mean that you should go swapping out everything all at once. It really isn't necessary. IIRC there is a member on the board running a pre common block at 400+HP levels, there are a lot of guys running one piece intakes and going fast etc.

I would just start slowly by getting a good tuneup and learning as much as possible. When these cars are running tip top they are a blast, not to mention they keep together much better. Once you have that down and understand how everything works a little better you can start cranking up the boost.

For some recommended reading check out the following sites.

www.thedodgegarage.com

www.minimopar.com

I would memorize the info on both sites if you can. I will save you a lot of running back and forth to the computer.

Mitsu booster

i take it the 90 is the common block!?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

i take it the 90 is the common block!?
    Yep! (most) 89 and up will be common block. The easiest way I can tell you to tell them apart, say in a junkyard, will be that the pre-common blocks will have a block-off plate where the mech. fuel pump used to go, since all 89 and up were to be FI, they didn't bother with the mount for the mech pump.

Oh, and welcome aboard (pun intended!).

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Mitsu booster

thanks for the helpful ideas. i'll start to look for a garrett turbo, an IC, since the 90 is the stronger block i'll use it to start with. i don't have any idea on the mileage on the block so i'll get a new oil pump, cam, lifters, a better fuel pump( someone said a 225, or a viper pump). a new clutch assy. i have about $2000 to spend right now. i want to use it for fun driving, street racing, not serious racing. something i can take longer trips in. thanks again and the best to all. MOPAR RULES!!!