Thread: T-III top end rebuild costs

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

T-III top end rebuild costs

I am contemplating on doing a headgasket/turbo swap on my derelict R/T that sits in my driveway.

It did run, but blew white smoke as it had an antifreeze issue... headgasket is blown, I am pretty sure. No cracks in the head, but the turbo is shot. Car won't start now as it sat too long and the fuel pump is stuck.

What am I looking at to do a headgasket change on this thing? Seals, gaskets, headbolts, etc....? I have a decent used turbo off of another T-III.

Also, I work in an engine rebuilding shop, so all machine work would be free on my behalf
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Hybrid booster

Re: T-III top end rebuild costs

Man, you've won half the battle.

From experience, since I'm currently having my head replaced, the prices will vary from $500 up. There aren't too many people left who know how to work on these cars though, which to me is more important. You can check with the New England SDAC and try to get references of someone near you, since you'd be doing the machine work...

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Ok, well, without actually tearing it apart, you don't really know.

Cams like to go flat and that takes out a rocker arm. Your lifters are probably ok.

Head wise, as you know, pressure test it, plane it, check the cam bearing journals.

Valve cover gaskets and intake/exhaust-Ebay, Cindy or Dealer. I sell valve seals as does the previous mentioned stores.

CAm seals can be bought at the local auto place, use the sticky on alternate parts.

I use a common thermostat gasket for the waterbox, just match it up or buy Mopar.

I use a 005 head gasket and just cut the necessary holes and enlarge the other ones, saves me $40 a head gasket vs a proper TIII.

Timing belt, and I would do the hoses, cam and intermediate shaft seal too, maybe a tensioner and idler pulley, again, check stickied thread for part numbers.

Of course, wires, spark plugs, thermostat, coolant, oil and filter and you'll need the timing belt tensioner guage.

The only nasty parts are the cams and rocker arms.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Cometic MLS headgasket and studs > factory headbolts and gasket. Also, check into Ti retainers as they will make your timing belt life better, and the vavletrain happier.

Ti retainers, those wouldn't be a bad idea too.

Studs, great but not needed. I think Steve is just doing a gasket, nothing special. Cometic, I think way over priced and again, for a stock engine, totally not needed, My 2 cents,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Ok... I'll explain. Intrepid is Decrepid with 182,000 miles. Not sure if it will make it through the winter. Thinking of swapping turbos, and putting new headgasket on the r/t in my driveway and using that as a backup. Shats the bed... it's a donor car anyways.

No ti retainers or studs. Doing this on the cheap, but correct way. probably won't even be doing it for what it's worth. I've never worked on these T-IIIs except tearing one apart.

Speaking of "flaking" cams.... my Intrepid's cam was flaking when I did the head son it 4 years ago. It had 120k then, now has 182k and still going. I thought I'd unload the car in the 1st year after doing the heads, but priorities and buyin a house, etc changed all of that and I soon forgot about the cam issues
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post

Speaking of "flaking" cams.... my Intrepid's cam was flaking when I did the head son it 4 years ago. It had 120k then, now has 182k and still going. I thought I'd unload the car in the 1st year after doing the heads, but priorities and buyin a house, etc changed all of that and I soon forgot about the cam issues
    Trouble is, there's so much spring pressure, that when they start to go, they really start to go and fast.