Thread: Tall deck crank pulley on pre CB crank?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Tall deck crank pulley on pre CB crank?

I have been looking for a round tooth roller cam of any type for my 600 for a while now. I can only find 88 tall deck motors whenever I look though. Can I take the crank pulley off of a tall deck and use it on my pre common block motor with a round tooth cam and have everything come out right?

If not, does anyone have any idea what a tall deck cam with a square tooth pulley will do to me? I have all the parts to get this car on the road, and I am 95% done with everything, so I am starting to get antsy over here.

Thanks guys.

turbo addict

Re: Tall deck crank pulley on pre CB crank?

If you have an adjustable cam sprocket you can degree pretty much any production cam in. I would say take the tall deck sprocket and cam and then the stocker and see where the keyway is in relation your timing marks for when no. 1 is at TDC. That will at least give you idea how far off it may be if you do run it and how many teeth you could retard or advance it if you wanted to do it that way. BTW, where are these tall deck engines your finding? I could use a cheap block.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

There were a couple up there in the pick n' pull. I have seen a couple down here in the local yard too.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I think a tall deck crank pulley is round tooth and will fit a non cb crank but the easiest is just get an adjustable cam sprocket. Your out 4 deg retarded if you use a round tooth on a square tooth engine.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I might have to see if I can pull one of the sprockets then. I am doing an ultra low budget buildup with parts I had lying around, or that were purchased from JYs so the adjustable cam pulley is pretty much out.

Actually, the tall deck crank is very close to a common block, so I would guess there is a better chance of a tall deck pulley working on a CB than a non common block.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Garrett booster

I am just wrapping up my tall deck , and I have the lower pulley from every unit: common block square, round tooth and tall deck, and they're all different! The snout diameter is different on the tall deck and the pulley is specific to it only. In fact, I accidentally tossed the belt drive pulley for my tall deck and now NEED to re-locate one, because it is different too!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Wow, last year, before the big hurrah over tall decks, I threw a motor away,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by carmanspd View Post
    I am just wrapping up my tall deck , and I have the lower pulley from every unit: common block square, round tooth and tall deck, and they're all different! The snout diameter is different on the tall deck and the pulley is specific to it only. In fact, I accidentally tossed the belt drive pulley for my tall deck and now NEED to re-locate one, because it is different too!
    Can you tell me a little more about the tall deck motors. Would it behoove me to pick one up for cheap if I can get one? I read most of your thread about your build, but I would like to know a little more.

Garrett booster

They're pretty straight forward. Just get all the damn pulleys! I think they're great for a heavy car, as any 2.5, but the added dwell at TDC might help some. The one I'm working with is an '87, so I can't remember if it was different from '88...

turbo addict

88 tall block used a round tooth timing belt. So yeah the crank pulley would be different than the 87 tall block. The camshaft and aux shaft pulleys are also degreed a bit different because of the .500 taller deck. I believe they are retarded 3-4 degrees compared to the CB. If memory serves me I think the 88 pulleys are #690.
    The crank pulley would be similar to the common block pulleys EXCEPT it would have a smaller diameter crank snout (like the early blocks).
    Todd

They're pretty straight forward. Just get all the damn pulleys! I think they're great for a heavy car, as any 2.5, but the added dwell at TDC might help some. The one I'm working with is an '87, so I can't remember if it was different from '88...

Garrett booster

I have pics of all the different crank pulleys, and some of the accessory drive pulleys. Quite a variety...

I have pics of all the different crank pulleys, and some of the accessory drive pulleys. Quite a variety...
    Would it be possible for you to post the pics to show the difference? I could put them up if you can't.

Garrett booster

How do you want them? I can send you an email with attachments.

That is fine. bwcordes@gmail.com Thanks.