Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Car mods specifically for MPG?

Re: Car mods specifically for MPG?

Well I'd love to know how you can be at 10-15" of vacuum at that speed. At 70 on a straight flat road with no changes to the topography and maybe also downhill I can do 10-15", but I would say mine runs at 5-10" cruising at 70. When there are hills, turns or anything faster, I have to give it more throttle which all but cuts it to 0-5" vacuum maybe a little more. What gear ratio are you running and do you know roughly the RPM you're at?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Try some Acetone-I use 5oz per 10 gallons. I pull 35 MPG. 89 spirit T2 5 speed.

turbo addict

On the trip to and from SDAC18 from Jacksonville, Fl I got around 33mpg in my Shelby Z. Now, I had the car detuned with a simple orfice for boost control that limited boost to 9#'s and I was running 87 octane. To achieve this number the car had to stay at or below 75mph. Any faster and the milage would drop significantly. We had all my crap and all my firend's crap in the car, tools, ect. along with myself and my friend, so the car was loaded pretty well.

I also tried to keep the engine in vacuum as much as possible and while cruising I'm around 5-10".

Mods to the car:
    FWD S5
    +40's
    AFPR (was set at 32#'s static at that time)
    3" exhaust WITH cat
    stock intake set-up w/ drop in K&N
    FMIC
    timing is stock 12*
    engine, turbo, manifolds, cam, head are all stock
    tranny is A555/A520 hybrid with 3.50FD
    tires were stock sized 225/50/15
    the car is lowered about 1"

I know I can get more out of it, but I have yet to hook the WB up to the computer's input to make it run a tad leaner in cruise. In thje city I get around 27-29mpg depending on hgow I drive. I usually try to not go in to boost much if at all, and I shift around 2000-2500rpm while maintaining as much vacuum as I can. I pay attention to my boost/vac as well as my WB to adjust my driving style. I've found that if you coast in gear, that only works for a little while, then the computer puts fuel back to the engine. I can help though. I've also found that rev-matching to downshift actually hurts fuel economy in my car.

On the highway, if you can stay near other cars you can increase your fuel economy by up to around 3mpg if you follow at the propper distance. I experimented with that using my boost gage, my WB and my 12-button traveler. In ALL instances of having another vehicle in the poximity of my car(even behind it) I gained fuel economy! The best, of course, was following a semi at a safe distance. Right around the 2-3 second interval worked the best(gee imagine that!).

Hybrid booster

Driving my Rampage (2.5, TII turbo, 3" exhaust and super 60 intercooler, 520 trans with 3.5FD) back and forth to work from the suburbs to downtown Charlotte. 10 miles each way with 20 stop lights no highway. I was averaging about 27 MPG then gas price went up and I started using 5th allot more, any time I'm above 40. My best tank has risen to 30.5 MPG. I alway drive like a paranoid grandma when commuting and wait to use boost on weekends.:-)

Just getting into 5th more often netted me a 13% improvement in fuel mileage.

Best Regards,
    Landon

Would lowering your fuel pressure on long trips help at all? Just wondering because I have an AFPR and could do this on the road trips I take.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

It *might* as it could reduce the amount of fuel being forced through the injector. However, the computer *should* be trying to compensate for the A/F by changing the pulsewidth of the injectors. I'd say that as long as you don't go high in your boost that it couldn't hurt to try it! Be aware that lower fuel presures makes the car more suseptable to vapor locking. That's an issue I'm currently fighting with my car, but I'm hoping to have resolved soon with a tweaked cal.

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Well I'd love to know how you can be at 10-15" of vacuum at that speed. At 70 on a straight flat road with no changes to the topography and maybe also downhill I can do 10-15", but I would say mine runs at 5-10" cruising at 70. When there are hills, turns or anything faster, I have to give it more throttle which all but cuts it to 0-5" vacuum maybe a little more. What gear ratio are you running and do you know roughly the RPM you're at?

honestly I don't remember. It was 4 years ago this month. It was an area were it really was flat land. I think I may have been in Idaho or in Wyoming. I was some where around 3500-3800 rpms I think. It was in stock tranny so I think its a 3.5x gear. I drove 400 miles and I still had a little over 1/8th of tank. When I filled up I put either 10 or 11 gallons of gas though and that was with me topping it off. I couldn't believe it and I have never gotten mileage like that again.

Only thing I can figure was that with the conditions as they were and spinning the motor that high I may have been in the peak torque area of the engine.

The setup:
    88 CSX-T 2.2 T1
    2.5in exhaust
    Garret turbo
    FWD stg3 cal
    grainger set to 8 psi

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Ha, the only time I get vacuum is at idle, down a hill or drafting, lol!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

cruise control always helps my mileage.

Hybrid booster

my freshly rebuilt 2.2 tbi just got 38mpg on a short highway trip, basickly stock, .30 over ported Tb with some factory spacers,intake/exhaust manny/ and a kinda cold air setup. 5speed no cruse at 110kmph

Quote Originally Posted by turzbo View Post
    my freshly rebuilt 2.2 tbi just got 38mpg on a short highway trip, basickly stock, .30 over ported Tb with some factory spacers,intake/exhaust manny/ and a kinda cold air setup. 5speed no cruse at 110kmph
    Sorry, I call bull, TBI cars suck for fuel economy.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

on the way back from montreal i got about 5L/100 kms 850km to the tank. this was @ 100 to 110kms with 3" exaust+ mitsu turbo+ 17-15" vac (with the mitsu i had full tq @ 1800 so it was kinda like idling your way home)

2.5 L
    523 3.50

We had to stop to piss twice before needing gas...

a warmer t stat will also help with mileage

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Not necessarly true. The Bobs on Allpar Daytona/Laser can get in that range. Bob L has tracked his mileage going back years and years.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

It depends simon... I got 30plus MPG out of a 2.2 TBI/Auto Horizon. Ig it were 5 speed, i could probably understand 35mpg plus. The problem you run into is with AAbodies and Minis that are really over-working a 100hp motor....
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by ssheen View Post
    Not necessarly true. The Bobs on Allpar Daytona/Laser can get in that range. Bob L has tracked his mileage going back years and years.
    Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    It depends simon... I got 30plus MPG out of a 2.2 TBI/Auto Horizon. Ig it were 5 speed, i could probably understand 35mpg plus. The problem you run into is with AAbodies and Minis that are really over-working a 100hp motor....
    Wow, I've never seen those numbers in any TBI cars around here. I have a few customers who keep track and they average around 25 mpg,

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Wow, I've never seen those numbers in any TBI cars around here. I have a few customers who keep track and they average around 25 mpg,
    I do not know Canadian geography. Do you live in a fairly mountainous region?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I do not know Canadian geography. Do you live in a fairly mountainous region?
    Yep, lots of hills, go East to Alberta and its flat from there to Ontario,

Hybrid booster

Regina to Estavan and flat all the way. 2h drive

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

can pull up to 34 mpg with my 2.2 tbi open highway trips

averages 29 locally
    Last edited by 135sohc; 08-21-2008 at 09:54 PM.

Hybrid booster

It's no bull, on that trip, car went 256 km or 160 miles to 19 litres of fuel or 4.2 gallons, divided 160/4.2 and I get 38 mpg. No real tail wind nor head wind, kept it between 106 and 114 kph as my cruise isn't hooked up yet, also engine revs were steady at about 2450 which is way down from the 3000 it used to rev at with the old automatic tranny. In town driving it will get between 24 and 29 if i drive like a human being!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast