Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No injector pulse......any ideas?

turbo addict

No injector pulse......any ideas?

So, I got the new harness in the CSX, but unknown to the seller and I, the injector harness is specific to the CSX_VNT. Crap. The whole thing is wired, so I figured I would see if I can rig up a regular 89 harness to work while I wait on the right harness to show up. So, I cut the connector off of an 89 injector harness and put spades on all the wires. I matched up the obvious colors like the GR/BK power supply and the two black wires for grounds. Then, I hooked up each injector to its respective driver from the SBEC. I am about 80% sure ive got this right. I KNOW the drivers are hooked up to the correct wires and I know the power supply is correct. The only semi-mystery is the grounds. On the 89 harness, both grounds (the BK wire and the BK/WH wire) both go to one receptical on the connector. On the CSX harness it looks like they are seperate........so I seperated the two wires.

Ive got no injector pulse. My first inclination is that I screwed up the cob job harness. I have checked and probed for two hours and I cant find where the wiring doesnt work.

What are your suggestions? Anyone. I have spark, so the ASD is powering up and sending current. The connections are good from the SBEC to the injector harness. I also swapped in another HEP thinking maybe the computer wasnt getting a reference. No pulse. My thinking is that either the SBEC isnt controlling the injectors or the wiring is SOMEHOW fudged. Is there anything else im missing?

This SBEC is also new with a new socket and chip. Could something be screwed up there that only affects the injector pulse?

This thing is MAJORLY frustrating. Im really beginning to regret getting rig of my SDS......car has been down two months and it just keeps fighting!

turbo addict

Re: No injector pulse......any ideas?

This thing is KILLING me. I burned another chip for the car on a whim and figured it was worth a shot. Well, unexpectedly....it started right up. Immediately. I shut it down, filled the car with antifreeze, put the belts on, etc and started it up again. Ran pretty good. Then, it died. Crank, crank, crank....no start again. Same thing. Ive got spark and no injector pulse

WTF?????!!!!!!!

Everything keeps pointing to the SBEC, but why would it start with a new chip and then die and not start again. Im gonna burn another chip tomorrow and see what happens, but it just doesnt make sense.

Can these chips be effected by natural light? Should I be taping over the little window on the chip after its burnt? What the hell?

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

No time to read through your post as I am tired and all... but the '89 vs '90+ injectors are batch fired vs sequential of the '90+ cars.

Could this be part of your problem? I doubt it, since it ran, but worth mentioning..... (unless it won't start from flooding out afterwards)
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastCSX289 View Post
    This thing is KILLING me. I burned another chip for the car on a whim and figured it was worth a shot. Well, unexpectedly....it started right up. Immediately. I shut it down, filled the car with antifreeze, put the belts on, etc and started it up again. Ran pretty good. Then, it died. Crank, crank, crank....no start again. Same thing. Ive got spark and no injector pulse

WTF?????!!!!!!!

Everything keeps pointing to the SBEC, but why would it start with a new chip and then die and not start again. Im gonna burn another chip tomorrow and see what happens, but it just doesnt make sense.

Can these chips be effected by natural light? Should I be taping over the little window on the chip after its burnt? What the hell?
    It would take years for natural light to erase one of those chips. Was that a reburn of the cal I sent you or a different version? If it was the same as what I sent you try a different cal just incase I made a error in that one (This link has one from Rob that is for 3-bar, +40's. Should be fine for a startup test. http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/at...4&d=1180616835). Past that it must be the SBEC or a issue in the injector harness (perhaps when you swapped out the chip a wire was moved and connected, then when you put everything together it got bumped and is now disconnected again).
    No fun cars any more :(

turbo addict

Steve....nah.....ive got the injectors hooked up to all four drivers.

Chris....ill try another cal. The second one I downloaded was a version of your cal that was tweaked a bit more by Brian. I just dont get why it would start, then die, then not start with the same issue. I cant find ANYthing wrong with the harness....ive ohmed out every critical wire for injector pulse. Grounds, sync signal, all drivers, etc. Everything is good. Its got to be in the SBEC.

AHHHHHH!!!!!

It could be a bad solder joint for the chip socket or on the board somewhere. Try pulling the chip and putting it back in.
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slasky View Post
    It could be a bad solder joint for the chip socket or on the board somewhere. Try pulling the chip and putting it back in.
    At this point that would be my guess too. Sean you don't happen to have a stock SBEC to try or borrow one?
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

turbo addict

I tried that last night. No dice. Im going over in a little bit with a new chip and trying that again. If it starts right up, I will be really mystified as to why the chips are going bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsvt View Post
    At this point that would be my guess too. Sean you don't happen to have a stock SBEC to try or borrow one?
    No, I dont. UNfortunately. That would make the diag a lot easier. I may try and find one at a local yard or something.

Hybrid booster

Steve....nah.....ive got the injectors hooked up to all four drivers.

Chris....ill try another cal. The second one I downloaded was a version of your cal that was tweaked a bit more by Brian. I just dont get why it would start, then die, then not start with the same issue. I cant find ANYthing wrong with the harness....ive ohmed out every critical wire for injector pulse. Grounds, sync signal, all drivers, etc. Everything is good. Its got to be in the SBEC.

AHHHHHH!!!!!
    Hmmm...It seems like a hardware issue to me, I doubt a cal would start at all if there was that serious an issue. Do you know what changes Bucar made? I've attached a version of your cal with the injectors not scaled for start fuel and engine temp, should run richer at startup if you want to give it a try.
    Last edited by quantum; 08-20-2008 at 11:29 AM.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

I have a spare smec but no sbec. I'm sure you'll get it ironed out.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

It was running today when I left. We tried flexing the board and moving wires and connectors but it still would not start. We even tested continuity from the back of the sbec to the HEP and the fuel injectors. Then Sean burned a new chip and it fired right up. The cts was a little wacky so he swapped it out.

turbo addict

It only runs on the Rob Lloyd cal for +40's. Of course, its EXTREMELY rich. I burnt the other cal on the chip again. It fires up once, runs and as soon as I shut it down, it wont fire again. What the? Weirdest thing. Im gonna try and write another cal for it and see what happens.

Hybrid booster

It only runs on the Rob Lloyd cal for +40's. Of course, its EXTREMELY rich. I burnt the other cal on the chip again. It fires up once, runs and as soon as I shut it down, it wont fire again. What the? Weirdest thing. Im gonna try and write another cal for it and see what happens.
    Did you try the one I posted? I think the issue is with the scaling with your 72# injectors and the coolant temp v.s. starting injector PW. Once the car is warm the starting PW is too small for the computer to fire the injectors at startup. The one I posted doesn't have that value rescaled.

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    Did you try the one I posted? I think the issue is with the scaling with your 72# injectors and the coolant temp v.s. starting injector PW. Once the car is warm the starting PW is too small for the computer to fire the injectors at startup. The one I posted doesn't have that value rescaled.
    He was using the wrong temp sensor so that totally makes sense. However, it would not restart once it was cold.

Hybrid booster

He was using the wrong temp sensor so that totally makes sense. However, it would not restart once it was cold.
    That is why I'm curious if he tried the one I posted or not. I left out FuelStartingFromEngineTemp1, FuelStartDecayIntoRun, or KeyOnPrimeInjPW from scaling (another person with +40 had a hot restart issue with a similar cal and doing the same worked for him, though I would have liked to work with him more on which of the three was the real issue. I wish I still had my CSX for testing). I'm quite sure the issue is in the scaling of the fuel in Chem2 forcing the PW to be to short, but I'm going to have to work with him to get the exact table(s) and vales straightened out.

Hybrid booster

I went through the cal again and I think I may have found what is causing the issue. I'm uploading here Sean for you to download. Password is the same as on the last cal. Let me know how it goes.
    Last edited by quantum; 08-21-2008 at 10:38 AM.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    I went through the cal again and I think I may have found what is causing the issue. I'm uploading here Sean for you to download. Password is the same as on the last cal. Let me know how it goes.
    Thanks man. I will try it tonight and let you know. What did you find?

Hybrid booster

Thanks man. I will try it tonight and let you know. What did you find?
    There is a table that references coolant temp v.s. an injector multiplier. Starting at 65 degrees it dives ftom 1 to .18 by ~75. That table starts later and only drops to .85 in Robs cal (thanks for all your work Rob) that is rescaled. Besides that table and the timing, PE, boost, etc I moded for you when I made the cal there are only 5-6 tables that differ so it is only a matter of a few more tests to get it working right if this doesn't do the trick.
    Last edited by quantum; 08-21-2008 at 10:37 AM.

turbo addict

Cant wait to try it. Those rings need to be seated.

Hybrid booster

Ok, lets give this a try. I've attached 2 files. The CampbelCSX-72 has the starting fuel tables scaled for 40's while the others are untouched (still scaled for the 72# injectors). The CampbelCSX+40's.zip has two cals one is just all tables scaled for +40's the other is scaled for +40's and has other tables copied from robs cal as well. If the 72# version (CampbelCSX.bin) will not start try the CampbelCSX+40's.bin; if that doesn't work try CampbelCSX+40robs.bin. This will at least let me know that the issue is defenatly the 72# scaling, scaling and other tables, or is a cal issue. Sorry for the problems (at least it's all free). I hope to get you running soon.
    Last edited by quantum; 08-26-2008 at 11:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast