Thread: SMEC ---> SBEC-2 swap, info needed

Garrett booster

Question SMEC ---> SBEC-2 swap, info needed

I have a 1989 Lebaron coupe with NO engine, was originally a 2.5 Turbo. I also have a 2.5 TBI Engine, Wiring Harness, and ECU from a 1993 Dodge Daytona that I would like to install in the Lebaron.

After monthes of searching, I am unable to find the proper 88-89 2.5 TBI SMEC harness, so I would like to get the '93 daytona harness to work in this application by re-wiring the bulkhead connector. (I do however have the old turbo smec harness, but it is JUNK, good for parts only!)

Outside of the obvious issues with getting the pop-up headlights to work properly with the daytona harness, is there any reason why this would not work? Seeing as how the smec cars just didnt really depend on the data bus/ccd to function like the newer sbec vehicles did, this should be do-able?

If you have any info that I may find helpful, please let me know. Especially if you can provide the bulkhead pinouts for an '89 Chrysler Lebaron 2.5 Turbo (SMEC) and a '93 Dodge Daytona 2.5 TBI (SBEC-2)

Thanks

turbo addict

Re: SMEC ---> SBEC-2 swap, info needed

I would think it would be a matter of getting a pin-out diagram of the two bulkhead connectors and moving the wires around. Im sure there will be a certain degree of "creativity" for certain things, but I bet most wires could be moved to work.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I wouldn't worry too much about the CCD bus. I put an SBEC harness from a '91 Lebaron GTC into my '87 Shelby Lancer and I simply terminated the two wires at the bulkhead so they do nothing and the car and everything else works just fine. I didn't have to get pop-up headlights working though.

Hybrid booster

I have a full uncut front-end harness and SMEC from an 89 2.5 TBI LeBaron sitting in a garage that I just removed yesterday... just for interest's sake

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about the CCD bus. I put an SBEC harness from a '91 Lebaron GTC into my '87 Shelby Lancer and I simply terminated the two wires at the bulkhead so they do nothing and the car and everything else works just fine. I didn't have to get pop-up headlights working though.
    how did you get the speedo working? isn't the speed distance sensor signal somehow integrated into the sbec-II and the ccd bus??

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

My speedo is still cable driven so I just continue using my old speed sensor with the cable.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

that makes sense

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Blue Iroc R/T's Avatar

Maybe this will be of some help to you; 92 Mitchell Wiring Diagrams:
    http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/92_wiring_diagrams

Connector Diagrams;
    http://hhscott.com/93tmv/SBEC_Conn.htm
    Ralph Scott

93 Daytona Iroc R/T
    www.pbase.com/rmscott

Tow Vehicle/Daily Driver:
    02 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4
    http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/ralphs_dakota_quad_cab

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by HoverFish View Post
    I have a full uncut front-end harness and SMEC from an 89 2.5 TBI LeBaron sitting in a garage that I just removed yesterday... just for interest's sake
    I would actually be very interested in that...I sent you a PM and E-mail. Let me know.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Iroc R/T View Post
    Maybe this will be of some help to you; 92 Mitchell Wiring Diagrams:
    http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/92_wiring_diagrams

Connector Diagrams;
    http://hhscott.com/93tmv/SBEC_Conn.htm
    For what it's worth, I have been attempting to modify my '93 harness to get it to work with my '89 lebaron...but I've also came to found out there is more to it than I initally thought.

I repinned the bulkhead connector and integrated the steering column connector into it, but there is alot going on outside of the bulkhead on the under dash side. I skipped the small connector (cruise control?) for now.

I haven't tried to start the car yet because I found a few oddities that exist between the two harnesses, all in all there was about 7-8 wires I had to leave out of the bulkhead from the '93 harness, some make sense like the underhood light (mylebaron doesnt have one!), the fog lamp feed, and the serial bus wires.

but other wires like "high beam relay to headlamp" and "frnt wash relay coil to sw pod" kind of have me doubting my ability to do this. I guess I can always go back to looking for the correct harness if I can't figure it out

I'll try to monkey around with it some more to see if I can get the car to run, and at that point, I'm sure I can work out the auxilary issues one at a time. Otherwise, I may give up and hunt down the smec harness.

When I did my dakota from 95 SBEC to 89 SMEC I used This site http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/ecu/index.html The only wire I missed was the 12V power feed to the SMEC for some reason. I don't know how I missed that one. It was a bit of wiring but worked out well as I was able to keep the SBEC underhood fuse box over the older fuseable links. I labeled every wire to the pin location on the SMEC and SBEC harness and then started moving pins and rewiring.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    My speedo is still cable driven so I just continue using my old speed sensor with the cable.
    I'm curious, do you have cruise and does it work?

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke