Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2009 Dodge Daytona Shelby? 56K Mega Death

Re: 2009 Dodge Daytona Shelby? 56K Mega Death

Quote Originally Posted by TurboRon25 View Post
    This is the first time I've seen this thread, and holy crap!! That's nice.

One question. ..Did you restore a 4700 mile Shelby Daytona?!?

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    I forget how many miles Brent's car has, but it has seen daily driver use until he got his hands on it and restored it some time ago. Then, totally restored the car just recently. The 4,700 miles you may be thinking of is of another '89 Shelby Daytona he grabbed the interior/drivetrain from a wrecked car.

I see the cargo cover looks mint, Brent! How did you manage to clean it up so well? I remembered it was stained with "chicken feces" from the Daytonas me and Jaimie parted
    Steve hit the nail on the head. I bought the car in 1995 and daily drove it till 2004-5?? Help me out on this Steve since I blew it up at your house giving your friend a ride.....After that I pulled the engine and it just went down hill after that. Worked on it when I could and when money was available. The digital dash show is from a car a friend of mine bought new and totaled it three months after he bought it. It was then stripped down to the shell and junked. Everything else was kept. He hung onto it for many many years saying he intended to build something. Out of the blue one day he called me up and asked if I was interested. 2004 I think it was, I said yes and paid $2800 for everything. I ended up selling the engine for $1700. There is a LOT of that car in this one. I spliced almost all of the switches, from doors to window to turn signal switch as these were nice and pretty with the white words still on them. The dash shows the miles when the other car met its maker. I originally had 142,000 on the car but it was somewhat more than that as the odometer stopped working for quite some time, so I am not sure exactly how many miles it had on it. Other than almost all of the interior I used only the tranny driveline wise. The exterior paint is still from when it was painted in 1999, just had it buffed out. It is one of the reasons I am a firm believer you get what you pay for when it comes to paint. Steve, still messing around with different computers trying to get it close to what I want before I hit the dyno. Currently spiking to 28PSI and resting at 25PSI for the rest of the fun. A/F is is 10.3-10.8 range and I know there is more left if I get it a little leaner. I have the fuel pressure turned down as low as I can go with it still starting when warm. So I still need to get another cal with a little more fuel pulled. It is a total hoot to drive and much much stronger than before. I fight a bit of lag but when it comes in or I brake boost hang on. Myself and Reaper1 were fooling around about a month ago looking for trouble, never did find any that gave me problems There are quite a few locals that were surprised by an old four banger, in true TD fashion. The only thing I regret is the DD pressure plate, it is a biotch to shift, clutch is fully enguaged about 1/2 inch away from the floor board and I always feel like the cable is going to snap at any moment. I have about 2K on it now and everything you put inside the engine is still inside it I still have an issue in hard right turns with the driver side axle bottoming out against the diff. I have pulled it a few times and trimmed a bit off the end. Each time it had gotten better, just need to do it some more. Other than that I am 150% pleased. Still trying to make it to SDAC this year but nothing is final yet. If I do go I will be meeting up with the guy I bought the car from and cruise up there with him in his 89 GTC TII Lebaron 568 swap. Ironically he is the one that bought the engine from the wrecked car from me, and it now resides in the Lebaron as his old TII was getting tired. Hey I still have those spring perches.....
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboRon25 View Post
    On the first page there is a pic of the digi-dash and a bright and proud 4700 miles showing on the odo. I guess the wrecked car gave up the digi-dash.

I'm curious. Can anyone is the restoration biz give an estimate on how much it would cost to have a car like this "done" at a resto shop?

Ron
    Yes sir it did donate the dash. As for the price I do not know, but knowing what I spent with no labor, way more than you will probably ever get out of it....but it sure does turn some heads. I have had a lot of non Mopar people give me props and tell me stories of the car that was owned by them, mother, cousin, uncle, ect of how bad @ss and fun that car was, so it makes me feel good.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Ah.... 28psi!

Your T-II/568 GTC friend I remember.... he had the T-III car I shoulda grabbed the drivetrain from. (and had a Challenger, right?)

Spring perches.... yes. I am in desperate need for some as I will be starting back up my project in 1-2 weeks time. Saying fawk it and parting out on of my R/Ts for it's drivetrain to go into the Shadow, and Jaimie may be buying up all my sohc stuff (and the VNT ES Shadow)

I am very anxious to see how well your car does on the dyno. Hopefully, you can get it totally sorted out soon.

Oh, and that race with the hillbilly camaro is still burned in my memory (I had a very similar race a year later with my car...too funny!)
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Ah.... 28psi!

Your T-II/568 GTC friend I remember.... he had the T-III car I shoulda grabbed the drivetrain from. (and had a Challenger, right?)

Yep same guy!

Spring perches.... yes. I am in desperate need for some as I will be starting back up my project in 1-2 weeks time. Saying fawk it and parting out on of my R/Ts for it's drivetrain to go into the Shadow, and Jaimie may be buying up all my sohc stuff (and the VNT ES Shadow)

PM me your address please.

I am very anxious to see how well your car does on the dyno. Hopefully, you can get it totally sorted out soon.
    Me too!

Oh, and that race with the hillbilly camaro is still burned in my memory (I had a very similar race a year later with my car...too funny!)

God yes, poor guy, maybe he will think twice next time....
    Couple good ones since then, but that is a top 3

Oh and the cargo cover.....I removed it from the rod. Basically I put it down on the driveway, used some greased lightning and a scrub brush, came out like new. I guess chicken crap doesn't hold a candle the Greased Lightning!

turbo addict

That is just beautiful and it definitely shows in your attention to detail and meticulous work. Looks like this is one of kind indeed being as I have never heard of anyone with low miles parts like yours going into a high mile car. Only in musclecars, GN's(a league of their own), and some other more popular cars have I ever seen such an undertaking. There are a few board members with some very nice L bodies, however, but I personally have never seen a G body to this extent. This is the first time I saw this thread and I was taken aback. I had an SVO mustang that I planned on doing something similar to when I was 20, but I was dumb and young. I managed to take care of the car, but not like I should have. Going to SDAC?
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    That is just beautiful and it definitely shows in your attention to detail and meticulous work. Looks like this is one of kind indeed being as I have never heard of anyone with low miles parts like yours going into a high mile car. Only in musclecars, GN's(a league of their own), and some other more popular cars have I ever seen such an undertaking. There are a few board members with some very nice L bodies, however, but I personally have never seen a G body to this extent. This is the first time I saw this thread and I was taken aback. I had an SVO mustang that I planned on doing something similar to when I was 20, but I was dumb and young. I managed to take care of the car, but not like I should have. Going to SDAC?
    Thanks Man! It was a lot of fun to do. My overall goal was to keep it as stock looking from the outside as possible, but to build it the way I wanted it, so far I am happy so I guess I got it right. I am trying to get the time off work to make it to SDAC. I have been to Mopar Nats, and Carlisle quite a few time but have never been to a SDAC event. I will keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again.

Went out with a buddy to a local dyno day to finally get some base runs. Car did real well for no tune yet. Base timing, and cam timing untouched, running kinda rich at 11.02. The first run was setting the straps, 2nd run was messed up third and fourth were clean. Best run was the last run at 273.49 HP and 280.37 Torque.

turbo addict

your car is amazing all i have to say
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

OMG..... I'm completely blown away by your detail. Incredible job!

Thanks guys!

Hey Brent!

Guy having troubles driving a real 4-cylinder on the dyno?

How much boost did you run?

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Guy having troubles driving a real 4-cylinder on the dyno?
    Ahhh.... FWIW: I wasn't implying anything about the HP curve. I meant, it seems you had to keep going over to him and giving him guidance in the video (just wanted to clarify that Brent)

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Steve,
    Yea he was having some issues. He was not used to running FWD's on the dyno. First he ask me how to release the E-brake, I told him its ok, it FWD. Then he was very lightly holding the steering wheel when the boost came in, he almost ---- his pants....If you notice he put me in for the last three pulls, he messed up the first two. LOL Was running 20LBS and if you look at the dyno sheet is was 99.X degrees out. My best numbers were on the last pull, not sure how hot the IC was. Going to send the puter back to Cindy so she can pull some more fuel. My fuel pressure is as low as I can go without getting a 5th gear cruise "skip" Like I said, it was just a solid base run as I have not touched base or cam timing, nor A/F. The V-8 guys were pretty impressed. Wait till it is actually tuned.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345