Thread: 90 Dodge Dakota

Mitsu booster

90 Dodge Dakota

I have a 90 dakota with the 2.5 5 speed in it... I recently shelled the transmission ( a535 I think).... can anyone tell me what other transmissions will fit in this as I cannot find one around the area where i live and 1500 for one shipped is a little pricey for my little truck....the truck is two wheel drive...

Re: 90 Dodge Dakota

A few options are the AX15 from the 94 or 95 2.5 dakota, a R134 from a 87-90? supra with the 94/95 dakota bell housing. The AX15 can be found in the V6 trucks also but you still need the bell form the 2.5. One of the Toyota SUV's used a trans similar to the R134 but it's been a while since I read the info and my mind is a little fuzzy about the details maybe a R154 or something like that. I don't know what may be needed for hooking them up as far as clutches, hydraulic lines ect... but they will bolt up.

Garrett booster

AX-15s are plentiful. Many Jeeps used them too and the aftermarket supports them with a Hurst shifter, rebuild kits, etc.

BTW, the Wrangler Hurst shifter fits the Dakota just fine after you heat and bend the rod back about 3".

Mitsu booster

how close to a direct bolt in will the AX15 be.... im not very good at fabrication... but i could do some small modifications.....In other words what all do I have to change to mak this work?

The AX15 from a 4cyl dakota is a direct replacement as far a bolting it up. For any other AX15 you still need the 94/95 bell to bolt it up. Do the 93 and older dakotas use a hydraulic clutch? If so then it's a direct swap as long as the trans are the same length and don't require a different drive shaft.